The Tyrod Taylor Question

Wouldn' t Taylors top 10 QBR and TD to INT ratio suggest to you that T T can handle more on his plate in the passing game, not less?

Not it doesn't. Lynn specifically stated what some of the issues were but you don't want to believe it or care for it.

Maybe Sammy Watkins knows something about the Bills offense? He's saying Woods, Clay and himself are open. Maybe Lynn told Taylor to not throw to open receivers? I mean the All 22 gives us the aerial view and we can see who is open or not.....

“As I watch film, I even said we need to go to (receiver Robert) Woods more – he’s open every play. But as a wide receiver, you want to get 10 targets, you want to see what you can do. You want to help your team out as much as you can. But that goes to say Woods needs 10 targets too, he needs the ball too. Clay needs the ball too.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn' t Taylors top 10 QBR and TD to INT ratio suggest to you that T T can handle more on his plate in the passing game, not less?

Like when the Patriots killed us and we couldn't pass for 200 yards in garbagetime ?

He had the green light there for sure no ?

Edited by Maury Ballstein

Taylor's single biggest flaw as a passer is not being able to make the reads and make decisions quickly. In his 15 weeks last year, he was the worst in the NFL in terms of time between snap and throw in 14 weeks. In the year before, he was the worst in 12 out of 14 weeks. Considering that statistic, he's lucky to have many of the other stats that he does. Notwithstanding everything else, that is a ridiculously high percentage. 26 out of 29 weeks that he played, he held onto the football longer than any other quarterback. I'm a big fan of Taylor, but there's no QB that's going to last long in the NFL when leading in that metric. Plenty of people have said it as well, that he doesn't know how to "throw" receivers open.

Has the offense played well enough to make the playoffs? They certainly have, but I would not expect them to go very far where they are. The defense would have to be phenomenal IMO for them to go deep in to the playoffs and we haven't seen that type of defense since Schwartz three years ago. I'm not even sure though that if you combined the offense of last year with the defense of 3 years ago that they would have very far.

At the end of the day, it's not a Tyrod Taylor question alone. The offense as a whole was average and the defense as a whole was average. It must improve on both sides of the ball, or they're not going to do anything, even if they make the playoffs.

Taylor's single biggest flaw as a passer is not being able to make the reads and make decisions quickly. In his 15 weeks last year, he was the worst in the NFL in terms of time between snap and throw in 14 weeks. In the year before, he was the worst in 12 out of 14 weeks. Considering that statistic, he's lucky to have many of the other stats that he does. Notwithstanding everything else, that is a ridiculously high percentage. 26 out of 29 weeks that he played, he held onto the football longer than any other quarterback. I'm a big fan of Taylor, but there's no QB that's going to last long in the NFL when leading in that metric. Plenty of people have said it as well, that he doesn't know how to "throw" receivers open.

Has the offense played well enough to make the playoffs? They certainly have, but I would not expect them to go very far where they are. The defense would have to be phenomenal IMO for them to go deep in to the playoffs and we haven't seen that type of defense since Schwartz three years ago. I'm not even sure though that if you combined the offense of last year with the defense of 3 years ago that they would have very far.

At the end of the day, it's not a Tyrod Taylor question alone. The offense as a whole was average and the defense as a whole was average. It must improve on both sides of the ball, or they're not going to do anything, even if they make the playoffs.

At this point , just end this drought. Winning a playoff game is just a bonus. that is the state of where this organization is.

Not it doesn't. Lynn specifically stated what some of the issues were but you don't want to believe it or care for it.

Maybe Sammy Watkins knows something about the Bills offense? He's saying Woods, Clay and himself are open. Maybe Lynn told Taylor to not throw to open receivers? I mean the All 22 gives us the aerial view and we can see who is open or not.....

Taylor has much to prove, I get that, but when you say Lynn wishes the Bills O was better in the passing game operating out of a run heavy O that he didn't design, the comment means nothing to me. (Lynns)

Edited by Figster

I didn't remember seeing this last year but in 2015, Taylor was the worst in the league in holding the ball IN THE POCKET....scrambling didn't factor.

N Foles first 24 starts 50 TD 17 int, what's he doing nowadays?

Mariota 49 TD 19 int

Newton 62 TD 29 int

RG III 43 Td 17 int what's he also doing nowadays?

Stafford first 29 starts 63 TD 37 int

Winston 57 TD 33 int

Carr 53 TD 25 int

Bortles 48 TD 35 int

Point is int aren't as bad as some make them out to be.

Oh and these are stats from legit rookie and 2nd years in in the NFL (Foles and Stafford included their 3rd years) not their 5th and 6th years like TT.

thanks for all the research fellas :thumbsup:

Taylor has much to prove, I get that, but when you say Lynn wishes the Bills O was better in the passing game operating out of a run heavy O that he didn't design, the comment means nothing to me.

I really can't believe this is so incredibly difficult for you. He told you what were some of the issues were in the passing game. If Taylor showcased he could throw with better with anticipation and down the field, you really don't think he would throw it more? You think he was so incredibly stubborn that even though Taylor is showing good ability passing the ball, he's not going to continue wanting to throw it? So if Drew Brees was our QB, we would have him with the least amount of passing attempts?

You really don't want to believe that they didn't pass as much because it was our weak point.

Two different coordinators had him with the lowest pass attempts per game.

You don't want to believe that your philosophy can be altered depending on the player you have.

Why didn't Bill Belicheck throw as much with Jacoby Brissett as he did with Tom Brady? They are a heavy passing team.

Why didn't Bruce Arians have Ryan Lindley throw as much as Carson Palmer? Arians is a vertical passing attack QB.

If Brees goes down in NO, are they going to throw as much with Chase Daniels? The Saints love to throw the ball.

I really can't believe this is so incredibly difficult for you. He told you what were some of the issues were in the passing game. If Taylor showcased he could throw with better with anticipation and down the field, you really don't think he would throw it more? You think he was so incredibly stubborn that even though Taylor is showing good ability passing the ball, he's not going to continue wanting to throw it? So if Drew Brees was our QB, we would have him with the least amount of passing attempts?

You really don't want to believe that they didn't pass as much because it was our weak point.

You don't want to believe that your philosophy can be altered depending on the player you have.

Why didn't Bill Belicheck throw as much with Jacoby Brissett as he did with Tom Brady? They are a heavy passing team.

Why didn't Bruce Arians have Ryan Lindley throw as much as Carson Palmer? Arians is a vertical passing attack QB.

If Brees goes down in NO, are they going to throw as much with Chase Daniels? The Saints love to throw the ball.

For whatever reason, this offense was geared to be a run oriented offense since 2015. And it's tough to change up when you have a decimated WR corp too many times in the season. Sure TT needs to throw over the middle more, but this team as a whole has got to stay healthy.

For whatever reason, this offense was geared to be a run oriented offense since 2015. And it's tough to change up when you have a decimated WR corp too many times in the season. Sure TT needs to throw over the middle more, but this team as a whole has got to stay healthy.

Yes there were problems all across and it's not just TT. The issue I had with Figster is he said it had "zero percent" to do with TT.

It's kind of like saying to a boxer who has a good jab but his trainer telling him not to use it that much because his cross is better. If you have success with both, common sense would say use both. If TT shown he can effectively from the pocket, we would have him throw more. Why would we want to be one dimensional? That makes zero sense.

If TT can show in camp, scrimmages, preseason and in the regular season he's effective throwing from the pocket, then I'm pretty sure we'll keep throwing it. We won't abandon the run but increase the passing game. That's what I want to see, I want to see him develop into a better pocket passer.

It's not just me, Beane has publicly stated it. It's up to TT to show it or not.

yeah, his work with the defense really was subpar at times.

Let's do that then. The offense averaged 25 points against the playoff teams. The defense gave up an average of 33 points against the playoff teams.

I agree. And I hope Boldin signs here soon.

Did we only lose to playoff teams last year?

We all know Taylor needs to improve areas of his game and I'm really not sure what the point is your trying to drive home.

Your not going to convince me Lynns thoughts on Taylor had anything to do with the design of the G Roman O.

We averaged over 5 yards an attempt in rushing, best in the league, and everyone knew our intentions.

Why are you (or Lynn) trying to fix something thats not broke?

It's not exactly a mystery as to why this was offense has been based on the run the last 2 years.

Edited by Bangarang

It's not exactly a mystery as to why this was offense has been based on the run the last 2 years.

Well, it was supposed to have a better defense than it has had too. Strong defense, strong running game and a QB to manage the offense. The defense failed the most. This offense is still geared for the running game. Just do what it takes to win with what the Bills have and better coaching. But they cannot have major injury issues this season. We do not have an elite passer at QB or an above average passer at QB(except the deep ball), and you play to his strengths, which can help win games. The QB that some people want is not going to be on this roster anytime soon.

I think with a better playbook, better preparation in the passing game, and better play-calling in the passing game, Tyrod will improve.

His progress won't make anyone on the banks of the Charles River want to trade their QB for ours. But there will be enough improvement that the Bills won't prioritize searching for a replacement.

Let's see. This team has said during the Rex Ryan era that they wanted to be a bruising running football team. They were exactly that. Check. They haven't said that they want to run a K-gun since the 90's. 25+ years of more CHECK. To boot, they matter of factly ran the ball better than any team in the NFL. If you're going to assign some other idiotic nefarious reason for it, you could say that the North Koreans made them do it.

Three points :

First, people have looked for a drop-off in Taylor's numbers with volume, both in this forum and others. Does he throw worse when asked to throw more? But there just isn't any evidence for that theory. Of course the team has lost more of those games, but Buffalo only increased their passing attempts when (a) Their game plan is toast, and (b) They're struggling to come from behind. It's hard to break out cause and effect.

Second, Taylors numbers those games when Watkins, Woods and Clay were all on the field (running open) are 63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs. Here's a deal : I'll grant a quarterback can do better than 63%, if you allow that's still a respectable number - particularly at 8.25 yards per attempt. Apparently the man is finding some of those open receivers, amirite?

Third, a receiver says he's always open? Dog bites man.

Let's see. This team has said during the Rex Ryan era that they wanted to be a bruising running football team. They were exactly that. Check. They haven't said that they want to run a K-gun since the 90's. 25+ years of more CHECK. To boot, they matter of factly ran the ball better than any team in the NFL. If you're going to assign some other idiotic nefarious reason for it, you could say that the North Koreans made them do it.

Ryan said he wanted a run-first offense before Taylor even signed as a Bill.

Weird people don't remember that......

Edited by grb

Ah the endless excuse thread.

Taylor is good at a run offense.

The problem is that it's a passing league.

The next problem is that with him under center the Bills have not proven to be able to compete with playoff teams

The next problem is his lack of pass inticipation beyond the deep pass.

The next problem is he lead the NFL in sacks and avoided sacks.

Why, is it because he's not capable of passing to guys on the move on short routes?

Until he proves otherwise he'll always be a questionable QB