Loudest Bills game ever?

i would agree with everyone on here, but would also add that the Denver regular season game in the early nineties, cant remember whether 90 or 91, when Bennett turned the game around with an int, then leonard Smith either intercepted or forced a fumble on the next possession.. seemed awfully loud.

Agree with this. After the third touchdown in a minute, you couldn't hear the person next to you. Total bedlam!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Games in the early 90s were insane. There were multiple times, even in Playoff games, where the refs would stop the game asking for the fans to settle down because the opposing team couldn't even run a play. Obviously, they don't do this anymore, but there were times the refs actually did this. Crazy to think about, actually. Like the poster said above, there were 80,000+ in the stadium, we were finally starting to win big, and Rich Stadium was one of the most incredible places you would ever want to be.

Sure, there have been some loud games over the last few years, but it's nothing like it was back then.

I remember them penalizing the team at one of the games I was at, because of crowd noise.

I was at the 2000 opener vs Tennessee, sitting way at the top corner of the upper deck. everyone yelling the whole time, wanting blood, etc. i didn't think the game was that crazy loud, but a few days later, my buddy, who watched it on tv, said the noise on the broadcast sound insane. Can anyone confirm or deny? From where I was sitting up in the sky I would not have known either way. I knew it was loud, but i wasn't sure it was "all-time" loud.

the loudest game I personally attended was in 1980 when we bitchslapped the steelers 28-13 to go 9-3. it all but ended their season, and their run at the top...it was also the game that legitimized our status as a serious afc title contender (even though nothing was clinched and the pats were still a game back). dad got us some nice club-level seats, and when Curtis Brown went 34 yds to put us up 21-10 i thought my ears would explode. utter euphoria...

That 1980 bills team was really good, and even though we often talk about 2000 as the year we "should have" gone to the super bowl if not for the TN robbery, to me the '80 team was the one that was closer to getting it done. if not for fergy having to play in SD on one leg, I say we win that game and play for the 1980 AFC championship at RICH vs Oakland.

Wouldn't THAT have been something? We'd already smoked them earlier that year (though Plunket didn't play), and had gone 11-5 against a really tough schedule in which 4 of our 8 games out of the division were with 11-12 win teams!

I went to three home games that year (including the rams OT game where the players all came out and danced with the cheerleaders), but that steeler game will always stand out to me. Stadium held a full 80000 then and there were only a smattering of steeler fans then, unlike today.

good times...

i have brought up that Fergy playing on one leg game endlessly on here .. we beat the chargers, we host oakland at rich .. WE WIN .. NO question.. good call! :thumbsup:

I moved away in 1999, so my opinion is based on 1970-99. The first Houston playoff game 1988 , 17-10 victory was by far the loudest up til that date. I don't recall any other game matching that volume from start to finish since then. I think having the first home playoff game since the merger was the main factor.

Edited by klos63

Just wait until we finally clich a playoff spot at New Era, I can't even imagine what that's going to be like especially after how crazy it was in 2011 when we finally beat New England. To me that game almost felt like a playoff atmosphere and that was only game 3 of the regular season!

I was at the 2000 opener vs Tennessee, sitting way at the top corner of the upper deck. everyone yelling the whole time, wanting blood, etc. i didn't think the game was that crazy loud, but a few days later, my buddy, who watched it on tv, said the noise on the broadcast sound insane. Can anyone confirm or deny? From where I was sitting up in the sky I would not have known either way. I knew it was loud, but i wasn't sure it was "all-time" loud.

the loudest game I personally attended was in 1980 when we bitchslapped the steelers 28-13 to go 9-3. it all but ended their season, and their run at the top...it was also the game that legitimized our status as a serious afc title contender (even though nothing was clinched and the pats were still a game back). dad got us some nice club-level seats, and when Curtis Brown went 34 yds to put us up 21-10 i thought my ears would explode. utter euphoria...

That 1980 bills team was really good, and even though we often talk about 2000 as the year we "should have" gone to the super bowl if not for the TN robbery, to me the '80 team was the one that was closer to getting it done. if not for fergy having to play in SD on one leg, I say we win that game and play for the 1980 AFC championship at RICH vs Oakland.

Wouldn't THAT have been something? We'd already smoked them earlier that year (though Plunket didn't play), and had gone 11-5 against a really tough schedule in which 4 of our 8 games out of the division were with 11-12 win teams!

I went to three home games that year (including the rams OT game where the players all came out and danced with the cheerleaders), but that steeler game will always stand out to me. Stadium held a full 80000 then and there were only a smattering of steeler fans then, unlike today.

good times...

I sat in lower level for that Titan game and was loudest I've been to.

So many nominations for teams who didn't make the playoffs. You guys are nuts. The Stadium holds 10,000 fewer people now and the teams stink.

Most games I go to these days, the crowd is not even disrupting the other team's offense.

If the Bills get good, I believe the fans can still be loud but there's no comparison to the early 90s noise. None.

I was at lots of games in the late 80s and early 90s. That Dallas Monday nighter in 2007 was louder than all of them. By a LOT. I don't think my father's ears have ever recovered.

The 2011 was as loud as I have ever heard in person.

However, players have commented the AFC Championship when Joe Montana was concussed and Bills won going away was referred to by players as the loudest they ever heard. Comments were their helmets were pulsating during warmups already.

Nothing scientific. I've been to most of the 90s era games mentioned here. This game gets my vote.

I was not at that game, but have been going to Bills games since the joint opened.

Pats week 2 2015 was the loudest I have been to, albeit only for Q1.

BTW, the Bills going right down the field to 7-0, then forcing 3 and out..i was convinced it was "our time" :wallbash:

This is the correct answer.

I've only been a season ticket holder since '87, so take that into account...

The loudest I've ever heard that stadium was the comeback game. You literally couldn't hear the person next to you, which was astonishing considering that it wasn't a sell out and a good number of fans left at halftime.

I'll also give a nod to the Dallas MNF game in 2007. When Jabari Greer knocked down the 2 pt conversion attempt, I swear you could feel the foundation shaking.

Agree with you, both counts. I was surprised how loud The Comeback was after a lot of people left after the Bubba pick 6 but yeah, you couldn't hear the person next to you when we intercepted Moon in OT.

Loudest game I remember was 2008, game 3 against the raiders. We were 2-0 and were trailing by 11 I think in the 4th quarter. I remember a few 3rd downs when the raiders had the ball and you couldn't even hear yourself think. We ended up winning on a last second field goal to become 3-0.was a great game. Unfortunately, 2 weeks later, trent Edwards took the hit of his career in what some would say ruined his football career

Since 1988 I have been to probably 160 home games. The loudest in my humble opinion were the 1992 AFC championship game as mentioned by the op, there was a game either 1997-1998 against Miami where it was unbelievably loud. Miami got out to a lead, Moulds went off, Flutie had a great day. Jimmy Johnson complained about the crowd noise after the game saying it was the loudest he has ever heard a stadium. I believe it was Flute's first year here & then of course the Monday night Dallas game was off the hook, perfect storm, Columbus day weekend, first Monday night game at home in year, Cowboys in town, temps that day were in the low 80s, everything came together that night except of course a win.

I'm going to disagree with you here. I was at that game -- when Christie kicked the game winner it sounded more like cheers of relief and wasn't close to the loudest the crowd was that day. We (the crowd) were all spent from the ups and downs of the game. It was crazy loud at several key moments in the 3rd and 4th quarters -- that's why your eardrums were shot. I know I didn't have a voice for several days.

I wasn't at the Dallas Monday nighter but even just watching on TV I could tell it was ridiculous.

I agree with this, I was at the comeback, & it was crazy but noway it was the loudest.