Cousins reportedly won't be re-signing in Washington

@jasoncoleBR

To be specific: former #Redskins GM Scot McCloughan wanted to give Kirk Cousins a contract extension before 2015. Front office declined

McCloughan wanted Cousins long term at around $12M per year. Once price got past $20M per year in 2016, McCloughan was uncomfortable.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone posted a response along the lines of: "TRADE TYROD, WATKINS AND A 1ST TO WASHINGTON FOR COUSINS AND JOSH DOCTSON! END THIS FREAKING QB PURGATORY AND GET YOUR FRANCHISE GUY NOW AND YOU'LL STILL HAVE A FIRST TO GET AN OL OR WR NEXT YEAR. GET IT DONE OBD!!!!!!"

I know you're joking, but I remember someone on this board saying they would easily trade all of our 2017 and 2018 1st round picks for Kirk Cousins. So yes people are actually as dumb as this.

...with you being one of THE pre-eminent talent evaluators and posters here on TBD, I don't feel so bad about NOT buying into the Cousins hype, despite be trashed for it.....for $25 mil+, his stats have led the Deadskins to where?....I feel much better about giving Dennison a shot to finally mold TT (make it or break year IMO), the potential of Peterman and two 1st round picks in 2018 in what seems to be a good QB class versus Cousins.....

Cousins has far outperformed my expectations for him coming out of Michigan State. His statistical output has earned him the right to be asking for the kind of price tag people have been talking about with him. Whether I like him or not, a lot of contract negotiation comes down to numbers. It's why more than half the teams employ PFF to handle advanced stats.

Quite where I'd put him in the pantheon of NFL signal calls, I'm still not sure. I'm a big believer that at QB, "good enough" probably isn't actually good enough when it comes to the second contract. If I feel that, as I do with Cousins, that you need to supply him with an array of talent just to get the play he's produced in the past two years, he's going to risk handicapping your ability to flesh out your roster once you start paying him a significant chunk of your cap. We've seen the same thing happen with Andy Dalton & Joe Flacco recently, I believe that something similar is starting to unfold with Alex Smith as well.

Bottom line, good on him for holding out for the best deal possible. Every player should do it. Would I pay him $25m/year? Not even with someone else's money.

I know you're joking, but I remember someone on this board saying they would easily trade all of our 2017 and 2018 1st round picks for Kirk Cousins. So yes people are actually as dumb as this.

That not very nice Happy.

We all get goofy or misguided at some point. desperation makes a Man/ woman do/say things they may not "normally ".

This might be the case here.

at least the storyline with Kirk is fun to follow.

Stupid Washingtons

Cousins has far outperformed my expectations for him coming out of Michigan State. His statistical output has earned him the right to be asking for the kind of price tag people have been talking about with him. Whether I like him or not, a lot of contract negotiation comes down to numbers. It's why more than half the teams employ PFF to handle advanced stats.

Quite where I'd put him in the pantheon of NFL signal calls, I'm still not sure. I'm a big believer that at QB, "good enough" probably isn't actually good enough when it comes to the second contract. If I feel that, as I do with Cousins, that you need to supply him with an array of talent just to get the play he's produced in the past two years, he's going to risk handicapping your ability to flesh out your roster once you start paying him a significant chunk of your cap. We've seen the same thing happen with Andy Dalton & Joe Flacco recently, I believe that something similar is starting to unfold with Alex Smith as well.

Bottom line, good on him for holding out for the best deal possible. Every player should do it. Would I pay him $25m/year? Not even with someone else's money.

If still being able/afford to give him the "adders" (not the snakes Bloke ) to inflate his success rate, would you consider the price is worth the indulgence.

as you know, by next year or so his contract will be trumped a couple times.

he wanted to be the highest paid QB and after the Skins stopped laughing and saw he was serious they were like ok bye. he's just not worth it, i don't care what the market says. no way i would give Kirk Cousins the highest contract in the NFL. so add Washington to the list of teams that will be drafting a QB this year. good chance Darnold stays in school and now they are saying Rosen might too. hopefully 49ers go after Cousins because the crop of QB's might not be as good as we were all hoping

But here's the thing. The 'highest contract' is only the highest until the next guy is up for a new deal, and so on. So within 2-3 years he's probably the 10th highest paid QB. I'd sure as hell pay that to have Cousins on the roster right now.

The Bills are going to do the usual 8-8 and may not have the ammo to get into the top 2 or 3 picks to get a QB in the next draft so Cousins is one of the few other options.

The Bills are going to do the usual 8-8 and may not have the ammo to get into the top 2 or 3 picks to get a QB in the next draft so Cousins is one of the few other options.

So Cousins (who was a fourth round pick) is one of the Bills' only options, because you have to get your QB with one of the first 2-3 picks in the draft, otherwise it's a waste of time. Do you see how silly that is?

So Cousins (who was a fourth round pick) is one of the Bills' only options, because you have to get your QB with one of the first 2-3 picks in the draft, otherwise it's a waste of time. Do you see how silly that is?

I see how silly your logic is, equating the odds of finding your QB in the 4th round vs in the top 3 picks of the draft.

Of course the Bills can draft QBs in the 4th round every year and hope to strike gold but that might take a while. Obviously Cousins is one of the rare guys who has proven he should have been drafted much earlier so if he becomes a FA he will be regarded as a very highly prized asset, just like a top 3 pick.

It wasn't just about the deal, it was about how the situation played out. Ozzie told Flacco that if he wanted that blockbuster deal, then he had one season to earn it. Flacco responded by absolutely carrying the Ravens through the playoffs and to a SB win. So he got his huge payoff for it. I'm sure Ozzie would take the SB win even with the subsequent issues. Let's face it, there's no way they move on from Flacco after that season he had. But I'm sure Ozzie loves that he pushed Flacco at the right time.

I agree and understand what you are saying. I am looking at it more in a hypothetical and hindsight being 20/20. Take the SB win and then start the rebuild. It doesn't look as if Baltimore will be an elite contending team again till Flaccos current deal either expires or he is restructured.

...with you being one of THE pre-eminent talent evaluators and posters here on TBD, I don't feel so bad about NOT buying into the Cousins hype, despite be trashed for it.....for $25 mil+, his stats have led the Deadskins to where?....I feel much better about giving Dennison a shot to finally mold TT (make it or break year IMO), the potential of Peterman and two 1st round picks in 2018 in what seems to be a good QB class versus Cousins.....

His salary led the Skins to the 3rd best offense in yards and 12th best in points, and the 28th best defense in yards and the 19th best in points.

Clearly the QB's fault.

....I switched to WD-40 on the rocks...........

It mixes well with Guinness.

If I had to take a stab in the dark the Jets will pick number 1, San Fran number 2, Indy 3, and the Bills somewhere between 4-8. 2 number 1s gives us a ton of leverage especially if 1 is a high first.

If I had to take a stab in the dark I'd guess you usually root against the Bills.

I agree and understand what you are saying. I am looking at it more in a hypothetical and hindsight being 20/20. Take the SB win and then start the rebuild. It doesn't look as if Baltimore will be an elite contending team again till Flaccos current deal either expires or he is restructured.

I get what you're saying too, but 20/20 hindsight isn't a realistic way to look at situations like this. You can't uncouple the SB win and the contract Flacco got. Ozzie challenged him and the message was clear: If you want a blockbuster deal, earn it this season. Flacco stepped up as big as anyone could have and he earned his huge deal. Ozzie had no choice but to give it to him at that point. Can you imagine the backlash if he would have let Flacco walk right after that SB win? What if Flacco had gone somewhere else (Denver, Houston, etc.) and won there while Baltimore foundered and had to start over looking for their next QB? Ozzie would've been run out of town. At the time Flacco got his deal there was a slew of teams that would've jumped at giving him the deal he got because he was playing that well. At the time no one saw this kind of drop off coming.

Ozzie made the logical choice at the time. Knowing what he does now about Flacco's fall off, sure I'd bet he wishes he would have let him walk. But who knows how that situation would've played out? And how is that helpful? Making a bad decision and getting lucky with it isn't much of a repeatable strategy.

Washington has till 4pm Monday 17th to sign Kirk long term .

That would also be the deadline for him to sign a long term deal with any team that would trade for him (hypothetically). So that option is off the table at that point too.

His salary led the Skins to the 3rd best offense in yards and 12th best in points, and the 28th best defense in yards and the 19th best in points.

Clearly the QB's fault.

...you like him....I do not, especially at his price.....all a matter of opinion IMO.........just think TT, Peterman and two 1sts in 2018 lead to a reasonable upside at a reasonable cost......and trust me (don't have to) that I CERTAINLY understand the desperation escalation of the QB market to grossly overpay for mediocrity.......with that being said, I do like Buffalo's position.....