Offensive line rankings

Not with Jordan Mills as your starting RT.

He was god awful in pass protection for most of the year.... Hopefully the rookie Dawkins can play the position and play it well.

Yeah I think this is correct. RT has been a huge problem for a couple of seasons now.

While our OL has been much better than it was over the prior 10 seasons it is not Top 5 in the league. Probably in the 8-14 range. The run blocking is superb, but the pass blocking is poor. Taylor gets shellshocked from how bad it is sometimes, causing him to evade pressure before its necessary and essentially play with happy feet. I forget what game (late in the season) but he seemed to play much better when he stood still in the pocket.

Not holding my breath on Mills after the puff piece, if you guys haven't noticed, every player is getting one he was just first. That said I obviously hope he improves but I'm hoping Dawkins can start the year in that spot.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at 10 metrics (5 run blockers, 5 pass blockers) I find it hard to think this line would be on the edge of the bottom third of the league.

Our run game was excellent.

Our pass protection was not abysmal

If mills is far and away the biggest knock -- I'll assert our other 4 were above average and he was not the worst in the league.

I also think some credibility is due for CK stepping into a starting LT role well, proving we had valuable depth.

I think top 5 is likely too aggressive but easily above average (which by definition is top 15)

#20? We should be at least in the top half of the league. At least.

Yea, if you break it into three groups of about ten each -- above average, average, below average.... I would buy a debate between being towards the top of the middle or bottom of above average group. I won't say it's a no questions asked slam dunk on either category but below average feels wrong.

Yea, if you break it into three groups of about ten each -- above average, average, below average.... I would buy a debate between being towards the top of the middle or bottom of above average group. I won't say it's a no questions asked slam dunk on either category but below average feels wrong.

The line is not full of premium athletic specimens, so they aren't getting any love. I know that Roman's schemes helped a lot with the run game but they deserve some love.

This. The reason Tyrod got hit so much is because he doesn't let go of the damn football. He had the most time in the pocket on downfield passes.... eventually you have to throw it.

I feel that he also stretches the pocket way too far, and never climbs up into it. Contrast the size of his pocket to that of someone like Matt Ryan, who will climb up into it to extend the play. TT's pocket is three times the size. How much harder is it to pass-protect when the O-line has to have eyes in the back of their heads to know where the QB is?

I feel that he also stretches the pocket way too far, and never climbs up into it. Contrast the size of his pocket to that of someone like Matt Ryan, who will climb up into it to extend the play. TT's pocket is three times the size. How much harder is it to pass-protect when the O-line has to have eyes in the back of their heads to know where the QB is?

Indeed. They are asked to protect too big of a space for too long.

Yeah I think this is correct. RT has been a huge problem for a couple of seasons now.

While our OL has been much better than it was over the prior 10 seasons it is not Top 5 in the league. Probably in the 8-14 range. The run blocking is superb, but the pass blocking is poor. Taylor gets shellshocked from how bad it is sometimes, causing him to evade pressure before its necessary and essentially play with happy feet. I forget what game (late in the season) but he seemed to play much better when he stood still in the pocket.

Not holding my breath on Mills after the puff piece, if you guys haven't noticed, every player is getting one he was just first. That said I obviously hope he improves but I'm hoping Dawkins can start the year in that spot.

Very good responses in this thread -especially this one. Welcome aboard.

This, too

Here's what I saw last year. Disagree if you want.

* Our offensive linemen were not road-graders for the most part. For example, we often didn't generate much forward push in short yardage situations. Nor did we flatten a lot of defenders.

* Our linemen did, however, execute Roman's run blocking schemes beautifully. They got to the right place at the right time and created run lanes. And this is why we led the league in ypc and ypc before contact.

* Our line overall was not good at pass protection. Mills was just plain awful. Yep, TT isn't always decisive with the ball. But far too often the guy was running for his life immediately after the snap.

I can't disagree with an 'A' for run blocking and 'D' for pass pro.

Let's hope Mills really is better this year. Or Dawkins has a great rookie season.

OK this is pretty much what everybody else has been saying. Care to come up with a more original analysis?

That ranking is too low. The Bills are absolutely a top 10 OL and potentially top 5. The yards before contact numbers say it all.

I respectfully disagree. It is just SO much easier for offensive linemen to run block than pass block, which is of course more important these days. Right Tackle means much more than it used to and the Bills had huge problems there last season.

Also, I disagree with those who blame the Bills OL problems on Tyrod. Imo he buys time and makes the OL look better than it is.

The current OL is not as bad as it was in the Levy/Jauron days. Those lines had some of the very worst players I have ever seen. Still, this line needs work in my opinion. I would rate it to be pretty close to average.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Tyrod doesn't buy time... he wastes time. It is there on tape he misses chances to throw to open receivers and asks the o-line to block too much space for too long.

Where I do think he makes them look better is in run blocking. Tyrod's threat with his legs makes defences really reluctant to crash down in the middle of the line for fear that it is a keeper and Tyrod will simply run round the outside of them.

Edited by GunnerBill

OK this is pretty much what everybody else has been saying. Care to come up with a more original analysis?

Nope.

I'm not interested in being original. I do try, though, to be accurate. This is a forum to share opinions and I shared mine.

I can't disagree that happened some (and it came mainly from the right side of the line) but I think it was a tiny percentage of time comapred to the number of times Tyrod had 3 seconds to throw it and didn't and then got hit.

I disagree that it was a tiny percentage. But I'm willing to admit, perhaps, a prejudice.

There's a saying in India, "When a pickpocket walks down the street, all he sees is pockets." Our attitudes/desires/fears influence our observations.

Early on last season, I got irritated by the poor pass protection. So maybe I noticed it more than other fans - because it was my sore spot.

And maybe your sore spot was Tyrod's slowness in getting the ball out. As your particularly sore spot, maybe you noticed it every time it happened and were less inclined to notice pass pro problems.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Tyrod doesn't buy time... he wastes time. It is there on tape he misses chances to throw to open receivers and asks the o-line to block too much space for too long.

Where I do think he makes them look better is in run blocking. Tyrod's threat with his legs makes defences really reluctant to crash down in the middle of the line for fear that it is a keeper and Tyrod will simply run round the outside of them.

It's both in terms of Tyrod. He holds the ball long but often makes the first guy miss. He helps and hurts and OL.

The QB gets hit because he hangs on to the ball for 5 seconds. The line was excellent at run blocking and average in pass blocking. They played well despite injuries

This is true, but many times Tyrod had to take off before his back foot even hit the end of his drop because Mills was getting beat so thoroughly and quickly at RT he had to avoid a sack really fast...it happened at least 3-4 times a game, sometimes more...

This is true, but many times Tyrod had to take off before his back foot even hit the end of his drop because Mills was getting beat so thoroughly and quickly at RT he had to avoid a sack really fast...it happened at least 3-4 times a game, sometimes more...

I don't know if it was 3-4 times per game but it was remarkable just how quickly Mills was beat sometimes.

If TT wasn't so dammed athletic, he wouldn't have survived the season.

The QB gets hit because he hangs on to the ball for 5 seconds. The line was excellent at run blocking and average in pass blocking. They played well despite injuries

On the flip side, when a defender blows through, instead of getting hammered, Taylor scrambles, extends the play and tries to make something happen.

Remember, all it takes is for one defender to beat his man and that can disrupt the entire play.

Edited by Bills757