Offensive line rankings

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-line-units-heading-into-the-2017-season/

That's a great rating, 10th, and exactly where I thought we'd be, not 20th, which is ridiculous
Plus for those on the old BBMB, and here, who claim Eric had an off year PFF didn't single him out as such
IMO the O-line is a huge strength of this present team
As a unit they likely rank higher than any other except perhaps the RB's because of LM

jc

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having trouble locating - anyone have how much time the line gave Taylor to throw? I realize he affects this by choosing to throw or not throw, just looking for some statistics.

The Dawkins pick seems like a real smart one at this point. Glenn has injury history. Incognito is no spring chicken. Mills has little business being a starter. Most definitely agree with the prior Cowher quote that investing in the OL is majorly important, and tend to have that view in general - that a team should build from the trenches on both sides of the ball. Glad we added to our OL depth.

Having trouble locating - anyone have how much time the line gave Taylor to throw? I realize he affects this by choosing to throw or not throw, just looking for some statistics.

a slight edit may be needed

how much time the line gave Taylor to throw before he decided to run/scramble

That ranking is too low. The Bills are absolutely a top 10 OL and potentially top 5. The yards before contact numbers say it all.

Agreed. If TT would get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds like every decent QB, the line would look like champs in pass protection. I'm fair balanced as I see a lot TT does well, but he has to improve in seeing his targets faster.

Agreed. If TT would get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds like every decent QB, the line would look like champs in pass protection. I'm fair balanced as I see a lot TT does well, but he has to improve in seeing his targets faster.

The flip side of it is he makes more rushers miss than any QB in the league. That balances it out. I agree that he needs to get it out quicker but his elusiveness offsets some of it. It's like anything with TT, it's unconventional. He holds the ball longer than anyone but extends plays longer than anyone. The weird thing is that he probably takes some sacks that no other player would and avoids some sacks where every other player would be sacked.

Exactly. If he throws the ball with anticipation he would be releasing the ball faster.

The flip side of it is he makes more rushers miss than any QB in the league. That balances it out. I agree that he needs to get it out quicker but his elusiveness offsets some of it. It's like anything with TT, it's unconventional. He holds the ball longer than anyone but extends plays longer than anyone. The weird thing is that he probably takes some sacks that no other player would and avoids some sacks where every other player would be sacked.

Most Evasive puts a poor spotlight on the O Line as being bad.

3 sacks a game imo is too many

Exactly. If he throws the ball with anticipation he would be releasing the ball faster.

Most Evasive puts a poor spotlight on the O Line as being bad.

3 sacks a game imo is too many

It's not a one way street though. When a guy runs free and he spins away he's doing the OL a favor. When he stands there for 4 seconds, he's doing the OL a disservice. It's both, we need to take the good with the bad. 3 sacks a game is too many and we really need to dig into how many are TT, how many are OL, and how many did he save? That combination will tell the story. Edited by Kirby Jackson

He'd also be doing the O Line a bigger favor by releasing the ball quicker which reduces the amount of time they have to stay tangled up with the D Line pushing them back.

He needs to pass the ball to moving targets in the short game. Waiting for them to stop and turn or turn and stop takes up valuable time.

He'd also be doing the O Line a bigger favor by releasing the ball quicker which reduces the amount of time they have to stay tangled up with the D Line pushing them back.

He needs to pass the ball to moving targets in the short game. Waiting for them to stop and turn or turn and stop takes up valuable time.

I agree with the 2nd part wholeheartedly.

I don't understand the 1st part though. Why should we ONLY look at the GOOD or ONLY look at the BAD? Why should we make judgements with a part of the story?

I guess here is the way that I look at it. If the Bills scored last year on 3 plays that he kept alive where 90% of other QBs didn't I can live with some sacks that others wouldn't have taken. Big Ben has made a career out of that. I'm not saying that in the perfect world he never gets sacked but that's not how it works. He's a different player and shouldn't be judged on a surface level. By the same token if Christian Hackenberg holds the ball as long as Tyrod Taylor it is a disaster. If Marcus Mariota does the same thing, he can potentially make a game changing play. It isn't one or the other, it's both when it comes to TT. He needs to release the ball sooner but not at the expense of his playmaking ability.

I don't understand the 1st part though. Why should we ONLY look at the GOOD or ONLY look at the BAD?

I was referring to the physical toll on the body. -- The sooner the ball is passed the sooner the O Line gets to release from blocking.

How many injuries are there after the defense turns its back on the QB and pursues the ball down field? More or less. I'm guessing less.

Offensive line rankings should fall roughly in line with total offensive points scored. They go hand in hand.

In our case we ranked 10th and I'd say thats a fair ranking. Roman and Lynn have set a good foundation here for running the ball, now its up to Dennison to get Tyrod an offense that keeps him upright and moving dem chains!

Looking at things like hit percentage is not a good way to evaluate an OL because it larger depends on the QB. They need to evaluate each OL independently.

Offensive line rankings should fall roughly in line with total offensive points scored. They go hand in hand.

In our case we ranked 10th and I'd say thats a fair ranking. Roman and Lynn have set a good foundation here for running the ball, now its up to Dennison to get Tyrod an offense that keeps him upright and moving dem chains!

Disagree, the Colts used to lead the league in points but have a terrible OL, The great QB's can cover up for a weak OL.

Indeed. They are asked to protect too big of a space for too long.

Right on man

People overrated this online because they hate Tyrod. They were terrible at pass protection. Half the time they couldn't even form a pocket and just collapsed.

That's not true in my opinion, if the QB gets more then 5 seconds to do something they did the job. Tyrod gets talked about in it because the line gave the time but Tyrod couldn't do anything with it because he would rather run around. It's why teams make him be a QB, give him all day in the pocket and he goes 3 and out, make him leave the protected pocket and he can make some things happen.

I was referring to the physical toll on the body. -- The sooner the ball is passed the sooner the O Line gets to release from blocking.

How many injuries are there after the defense turns its back on the QB and pursues the ball down field? More or less. I'm guessing less.

That's certainly fair. The longer they are blocking the more they get beat up.