Offensive line rankings

20. Buffalo Bills

Overall grade: C

Pass blocking: D+
Run blocking: A-
Stability/consistency: D-

This was the most hit-miss blocking wall in the league last year. The Bills placed first in pocket time on vertical passes (2.9 seconds), but had the worst dropback hit rate (24.6 percent). They were tied for the worst screen pass blocking grade (F), yet had the fifth highest GBR (42.1 percent). This maddening inconsistency is why the Bills had a D-minus grade in stability/consistency despite returning four starters. Fantasy owners can probably rely on the run blocking for LeSean McCoy, but otherwise should consider this blocking wall untrustworthy.

http://insider.espn.com/fantasy/football/insider/story/_/id/19690153/fantasy-football-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-nfl-teams-impact-players-production

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The QB gets hit because he hangs on to the ball for 5 seconds. The line was excellent at run blocking and average in pass blocking. They played well despite injuries

This. The reason Tyrod got hit so much is because he doesn't let go of the damn football. He had the most time in the pocket on downfield passes.... eventually you have to throw it.

If Glenn stays 100% , Mills is said to have made a lot of progress , then Dawkins can be developed .

Taylor has to release the ball faster is the biggest factor.

I'll believe it when I see it in actual competition during the regular season.

This. The reason Tyrod got hit so much is because he doesn't let go of the damn football. He had the most time in the pocket on downfield passes.... eventually you have to throw it.

A sack's causes : (1) The O-line whiffs on blocking, (2) The QB is indecisive - a negative, or (3) The QB scrambles to make a play - frequently a positive. With the Bills all three were regular occurrences. Some pro-Taylor people lay it all on the line; most anti-Taylor people lay it all on the QB; yet no single answer is correct. In fact, the line had long stretches where pass blocking was sub-par and Taylor was under pressure as soon as he set to throw. But he can also be maddeningly indecisive at times, often bolting from the pocket early. And yet he often makes plays while doing so. Conclusion : Both Taylor and the line need to be better - and TT has to find that sweet spot where improvisation becomes a plus rather than a minus.

Edited by grb

Not with Jordan Mills as your starting RT.

He was god awful in pass protection for most of the year.... Hopefully the rookie Dawkins can play the position and play it well.

And he was good in run blocking. Every line has weaknesses but there aren't 10 better OLs.

Here's what I saw last year. Disagree if you want.

* Our offensive linemen were not road-graders for the most part. For example, we often didn't generate much forward push in short yardage situations. Nor did we flatten a lot of defenders.

* Our linemen did, however, execute Roman's run blocking schemes beautifully. They got to the right place at the right time and created run lanes. And this is why we led the league in ypc and ypc before contact.

* Our line overall was not good at pass protection. Mills was just plain awful. Yep, TT isn't always decisive with the ball. But far too often the guy was running for his life immediately after the snap.

I can't disagree with an 'A' for run blocking and 'D' for pass pro.

Let's hope Mills really is better this year. Or Dawkins has a great rookie season.

Edited by hondo in seattle

A lot of the sacks that were recorded against us was when Taylor ran out of bounds after scrambling before the line of scrimmage. Not sure what the percentage was, but there were quite a few. If he can just throw the ball away in that situation, our sack numbers would have been different.

Numbers don't tell the whole story. Go and watch the tape!

But far too often the guy was running for his life immediately after the snap.

I can't disagree that happened some (and it came mainly from the right side of the line) but I think it was a tiny percentage of time comapred to the number of times Tyrod had 3 seconds to throw it and didn't and then got hit.

It's pretty rare that there not be a 'weak spot' in a five man unit. I remember re-watching one of the Bills Super Bowls not too long ago and I honestly couldn't even remember the name of the Right Tackle.

You should because House Ballard was a dammed good RT.

20. Buffalo Bills

Overall grade: C

Pass blocking: D+

Run blocking: A-

Stability/consistency: D-

This was the most hit-miss blocking wall in the league last year. The Bills placed first in pocket time on vertical passes (2.9 seconds), but had the worst dropback hit rate (24.6 percent). They were tied for the worst screen pass blocking grade (F), yet had the fifth highest GBR (42.1 percent). This maddening inconsistency is why the Bills had a D-minus grade in stability/consistency despite returning four starters. Fantasy owners can probably rely on the run blocking for LeSean McCoy, but otherwise should consider this blocking wall untrustworthy.

http://insider.espn.com/fantasy/football/insider/story/_/id/19690153/fantasy-football-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-nfl-teams-impact-players-production

I'm not sure I understand how the run blocking grade can be an A- when they had the best running game in the league by every possible measure. What does it take to get an A?