Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

I have to say, one of my finest drunken moments was yelling out "May Day! May Day!" while standing right next to a table where Ray Bourque was sitting.  It was mid-2000s, so 5 or so years after he retired.

18 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Why does the NHL endeavor to make things as un fan-friendly as possible?

WTF is that?

There is nothing exciting about the process.  4 balls popping out of the machine and then a guy going over to a massive chart to see who won?  It doesn't make for good tv.  And then they do that whole process 2 more times.  Instead they want to focus on the actual entertainment, the games going on out there on the ice.

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

There is nothing exciting about the process.  4 balls popping out of the machine and then a guy going over to a massive chart to see who won?  It doesn't make for good tv.  And then they do that whole process 2 more times.  Instead they want to focus on the actual entertainment, the games going on out there on the ice.

So, since it's not entertaining, they're going to split it into two segments?

Just announce the damned results before the game and get on with it!

26 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

So, since it's not entertaining, they're going to split it into two segments?

Just announce the damned results before the game and get on with it!

Yeah, I'm completely on board with that one.  But they'll do it this way so that a few extra viewers decide to watch through the first period of the game they're showing that night.  It's such a pointless move though.  The people who want to know lottery results are more than likely the same people who want to watch hockey anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

WTF.   What does this mean in English?   The first 10 counted down.  10 to 1 or with remaining 5 they mean 15-6?     But if that is the case how can the first 10 have the lottery winners?

6 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

WTF.   What does this mean in English?   The first 10 counted down.  10 to 1 or with remaining 5 they mean 15-6?     But if that is the case how can the first 10 have the lottery winners?

Perhaps he meant to say that if any or all of the bottom three teams in the standings were eliminated, they would be revealed that first group of 10?

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Perhaps he meant to say that if any or all of the bottom three teams in the standings were eliminated, they would be revealed that first group of 10?

So if low odds teams win, they pick first.  So by example the Sabres would then pick 4th, and the teams that finished immediately behind the Sabres, assuming they didn't get picked in the lottery go 5, 6, 7.   So it revealed everything and there is no need to show the last 5.   Or is really the first 5?   

Maybe I should just accept the fact it is twitter, so in reality it wasn't meant to be understood.

Edited by Greybeard

1 minute ago, Greybeard said:

So if low odds teams win, they pick first.  So by example the Sabres would then pick 4th, and the teams that finished immediately behind the Sabres, assuming they didn't get picked in the lottery go 5, 6, 7.   So it revealed everything and there is no need to show the last 5.   Or is really the first 5?   

Maybe I should just accept the fact it is twitter, so in reality it wasn't meant to be understood.

Right, that's how I read it at least. I should just have considered the twitter factor, too, though.  

Even if the miracle happens and all of the winners are revealed in those first 10, you're still left not knowing the order of the top 3.  But whatever, it isn't happening.  I'm too lazy to figure it out, but if I'm thinking this through correctly, there's a 4.3% chance of this happening.

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  And, the subsequent posts here still didn't clear it up for me!...............the NHL is run by Neanderthals. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Even if the miracle happens and all of the winners are revealed in those first 10, you're still left not knowing the order of the top 3.  But whatever, it isn't happening.  I'm too lazy to figure it out, but if I'm thinking this through correctly, there's a 4.3% chance of this happening.

I believe the chart is correct.  It was how they were going to reveal it that did not make sense.     Finishing last did not gain as much as previous years because of how they modified the odds, but it does guarantee no worse than the 4th pick.

I find it hard to believe it will work out for the Sabres because the odds of the first pick are 18%.   That means the odds for the rest of the field are 82% (rounded off).  When you look at it that way, it is a long shot for #1,  just a little better versus any other single team.

When I first read the initial twitter post I was afraid I was just out of it, but after a while it just started irritating me so I had to post.  I feel a bit better no one else seems to get whatever he was trying to say.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Like I said, Sabres aren't winning the lottery. They never do.

Lottery is sehr stoopid, ja?

• Like (+1) 1

What you need to know regarding Buffalo's odds at the NHL Draft Lottery in Toronto on Saturday.

We know that the Buffalo Sabres are guaranteed a top-four pick in this year's NHL Draft. Where exactly that pick will fall will be determined at the NHL Draft Lottery in Toronto on Saturday night. 

The Sabres enter the lottery with the highest odds to win the No. 1 overall selection, at 18.5 percent. The chances decrease for each of the 14 remaining non-playoff teams in reverse order from where they finished in the standings, with Ottawa holding the second-highest odds at 13.5 percent. 

Here's everything you need to know heading into Saturday.

Just now, aceman_16 said:

Yeah.  They will get a generational Defensemen,  a goal scorer or a play maker.  Prefer 1st but 2 and 3 are good prizes.

Yup. Obviously I want #1 but at least we got 1 of the big 3. 

Dahlin is obviously our biggest need (potential #1 defenseman). But Zadina would fill a huge area of need too - pure goal scoring sniper (like ovechkin but a lefty). 

IMO Svechnikov is less of a need with eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt all being god play makers but I'd take him as a consolation prize! lol 

Canada owns the NHL ! Montreal has No.1 on a BS Lottery ! The only reason Edmonton won the lottery was because they were opening a $850 million arena and they wanted the Canada McDavid ! I'll be shocked if we win !

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Now we just have to wait until the 1st intermission to find out if its1, 2 or 3... 

Could be wrong but is it not 2nd intermission. Correct me if im wrong, this wait is killing me

8 minutes ago, holmz56 said:

Canada owns the NHL ! Montreal has No.1 on a BS Lottery ! The only reason Edmonton won the lottery was because they were opening a $850 million arena and they wanted the Canada McDavid ! I'll be shocked if we win !

That’s the amazing thing about the NHL. They were more concerned with keeping Edmonton happy than sticking McDavid in Boston or NY. Now they have playoff games on the golf channel and half of the US has no idea who Connor McDavid is. The NHL had a chance to develop a star in a major market and potentially attract interest throughout the country.

It is mind-boggling that Bergman worked under David Stern. He was being trained by Yoda and ended up as C3P0.  I hope that arena is really turning out big bucks. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Buffalo Has a Top Three Pick from the Draft Lottery
Just now, noacls said:

Could be wrong but is it not 2nd intermission. Correct me if im wrong, this wait is killing me

Originally I thought they were doing picks 15-4 during the 1st intermission and picks 4-1 during the 2nd intermission. 

But then they did picks 15-4 before the start of the game, so I am assuming they will do picks 4-1 during the 1st intermission. 

Ugh, at least I hope they do. My stomach is in knots waiting to find out. I am a nervous wreck.  I hate how much I am controlled by these Buffalo sports teams! lol 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, noacls said:

From NHL.com

The Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Hurricanes and Montreal Canadiens have the top three picks in the 2018 NHL Draft.

The order of the top three, determined by the NHL Draft Lottery, will be announced during the second intermission of Game 2 of the Western Conference Second Round between the San Jose Sharks and Vegas Golden Knights (NBC, SN, CBC, TVAS).

• Thank you (+1) 1