Nate Peterman - weak arm? I don't think so!

Being able to throw the ball 60 yards down field is not the test of arm strength.

If anyone can find a video of Peterman throwing a long out from the far hash out of a three step drop and on time, I'll have a look.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Trent Edwards or Jeff Tuel or Logan Thomas and so on and so on.

I think it's because draft pundits threw out the term "most pro ready" when describing Peterman. Fans are caught up on that. I mean obviously big things will happen when the most pro ready QB in the draft isn't selected until the 5th round.

There is probably some truth to that. People just shouldn't get their hopes up that he's saving the franchise. When he turns out to (hopefully) be as good as McCarron let's not push him out the door and trash him. That would make him a good pick. I just wouldn't hold my breath that the guy picked 171 saves the franchise because Brady did it almost 20 years ago. It's not impossible but not likely either.

I say even if Tyord takes that step pull the trigger on your qb next year too. That whole Brees vs Rivers situation they had in SD a while ago is a nice position to be in. Would be a nice change in pace

Hopefully we make a better decision though. Brees has a ring, the Chargers don't.

There is probably some truth to that. People just shouldn't get their hopes up that he's saving the franchise. When he turns out to (hopefully) be as good as McCarron let's not push him out the door and trash him. That would make him a good pick. I just wouldn't hold my breath that the guy picked 171 saves the franchise because Brady did it almost 20 years ago. It's not impossible but not likely either.

I agree.

As far as the thread topic is concerned, arm strength isn't the end all be all but it is important and that can't be discounted. A lot of Petermans passes look like he floats the ball, which are easy pickens for a NFL db. I don't think he can throw the deep out, from what I've seen.

As Kirby and some others have stated if Peterman becomes an adequate backup then that pick was a good value pick. Getting a reasonably priced backup for a lower round pick is not something to lament, it is something to be happy with. As Kirby also pointed out if you get a McCarron type backup from where he was drafted then that was a productive pick.

One way to focus on this discussion is ask who would be a better backup prospect between Cardale of Peterman: The physical specimen with the canon arm whose play is erratic or the less physically imposing qb who can better run an offense? For the backup role the latter player better fits the role.

More definitive statements that show a lack of respect for the unknown...that's exactly what we are talking here. You just don't know how any of These guys careers will go.

And the true irony here is you are claiming Peterman can't surpass Tyrod, but by your logic, Tyrod would have been given no chance of having a career like Fitz either.

Do you see how silly these statements are?

You're technically right. None of us know what the future holds.

But do I think Peterman will throw for 166 tds and 25,000 yards like Fitz? No, and I'd bet a lot of money on that not happening. Most people would too. It's nothing against Peterman. It's just most qbs aren't really going to amount to anything in the NFL.

As Kirby and some others have stated if Peterman becomes an adequate backup then that pick was a good value pick. Getting a reasonably priced backup for a lower round pick is not something to lament, it is something to be happy with. As Kirby also pointed out if you get a McCarron type backup from where he was drafted then that was a productive pick.

One way to focus on this discussion is ask who would be a better backup prospect between Cardale of Peterman: The physical specimen with the canon arm whose play is erratic or the less physically imposing qb who can better run an offense? For the backup role the latter player better fits the role.

Honestly, I think we might severely overrated the backup qb position. I would love to know the win % of backup qbs. I bet it is very low. Odds are you're kinda screwed if your backup has to play for extended time. People tout McCarron as a good backup qb. With Dalton, they were possibly the best team in the NFL. With AJ and his terrible tattoo, they lost their first playoff game at home.

Ideally, I think you want a former starter/ vet guy (not TJ Yates) & a developmental type as your backup qbs. Hopefully, the Bills end up with Peterman and Jones as the backup qbs.

We are all entitled to our opinions. Do you really believe that he is competing for the starting job??? I hope that he's great but just don't see it happening. I'm not as down on him as Blokes but he's not more than a number 2. It's Tyrod taking the step or 2018 first rounder (Rosen would be my guess at this point).

Nothing is certain, I guess you're right but the odds are very long IMO. I also think that he never gets the chance. TT is the QB of the near future and if he doesn't get it done they are drafting one in 2018. There isn't an opportunity for Peterman.

I don't believe he is competing for a starting job, not yet. I'm not going to go out on a limb for him, but I do think it is a somewhat generic response to someone who has average arm strength. People tend to cast aside these sort of players as "low ceiling" or "game manager" types. There is nothing in the style of his QB play aside from his arm strength to suggest this. He was never a safe check down sort of QB, he played with bravado and was a gunslinger in college. Will that translate into him being a starting NFL Qb in this league? Who knows, but I think your characterization of him is off and as I mentioned earlier a bit generic.

Honestly, I think we might severely overrated the backup qb position. I would love to know the win % of backup qbs. I bet it is very low. Odds are you're kinda screwed if your backup has to play for extended time. People tout McCarron as a good backup qb. With Dalton, they were possibly the best team in the NFL. With AJ and his terrible tattoo, they lost their first playoff game at home.

Ideally, I think you want a former starter/ vet guy (not TJ Yates) & a developmental type as your backup qbs. Hopefully, the Bills end up with Peterman and Jones as the backup qbs.

I agree with you that if you have to rely on your backup for extended playing time then your team is severely diminished. The best you can ask for with a backup is not to hurt you more than to benefit you. Playing a backup is resorting to a stopgap remedy, usually nothing more. But that doesn't mean that it isn't an important role.

With respect to the highlighted area my sense is that the wrestling coach is not going to keep both Cardale and Peterman. I just don't see it. In my view Peterman is more of a backup type qb than Cardale is. And in my estimation neither is a starting caliber of qb.

I don't believe he is competing for a starting job, not yet. I'm not going to go out on a limb for him, but I do think it is a somewhat generic response to someone who has average arm strength. People tend to cast aside these sort of players as "low ceiling" or "game manager" types. There is nothing in the style of his QB play aside from his arm strength to suggest this. He was never a safe check down sort of QB, he played with bravado and was a gunslinger in college. Will that translate into him being a starting NFL Qb in this league? Who knows, but I think your characterization of him is off and as I mentioned earlier a bit generic.

Why do you think that he was a fifth round draft pick instead of a second to third round type prospect?

The head football coach at the high school I work at is from Western PA and knows and has talked with the head man at Pitt, Narduzzi.

So I asked him what he thought of Peterman. He said he thinks the reason why the Bills liked him (and with good reason) above anything else, was because he essentially learned 3 different systems in college and caught on quick. From Tennesse to Jim Chaney at Pitt and then Matt Canada, his ability to grasp the schemes stood out.

They think his smarts with his skill set can translate over.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by Big Blitz

I don't see Peterman starting. And in fact, none of the rookie QB's are slated to start this year, at least from game 1. Peterman should be no different.

Houston might be forced to start Deshaun Watson. Ironically a fellow Pitt alum, Tom Savage can never seem to stay healthy.

"Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a really strong arm." Who is this?

You know how many of these guys don't end up being Tom Brady? That scouting report neglected to mention that, whether you love or hate him, he is literally the fiercest competitor on earth...

Peterman's arm is a weakness, not a strength. He will drastically improve it, work around it or not be a good NFL QB. Any of these outcomes or combinations in between could happen...

We should know more soon.

I agree.

As far as the thread topic is concerned, arm strength isn't the end all be all but it is important and that can't be discounted. A lot of Petermans passes look like he floats the ball, which are easy pickens for a NFL db. I don't think he can throw the deep out, from what I've seen.

You know, I just watched the recording of the Bills no punt game in the early 90's and Jimbo, is by far my favorite QB of all time (here comes the sacrilege) but I'll tell you one thing, Kelly never put much zip on the ball in that game. Of course all he did was throw for like 400 yards.

I've always had the mindset that your backup quarterback should have a similar set of skills as your starter. That way the rest of the offense doesn't have to retool should your backup need to play at some point.

I'm therefore more interested in Petermans mobility than his arm strength.

I've always had the mindset that your backup quarterback should have a similar set of skills as your starter. That way the rest of the offense doesn't have to retool should your backup need to play at some point.

I've always thought the opposite. As long as your team is prepared for it, a changeup to a different type of QB gives you a better chance to win because it throws off your opponent.

The other teams can't prpepare for the different things you'll do because they haven't seen it.

You know, I just watched the recording of the Bills no punt game in the early 90's and Jimbo, is by far my favorite QB of all time (here comes the sacrilege) but I'll tell you one thing, Kelly never put much zip on the ball in that game. Of course all he did was throw for like 400 yards.

That TD throw to Thomas had perfect arc and tons of zip. The TD throw that Lofton dropped was a fastball, too. Kelly could sling it, no doubt.

...I'm more interested in his "gray matter ability" to scan the entire field in the + or - 5 seconds allotted, something TT STILL struggles with.......just my opinion, but the SMARTS PART comes first....Montana never had superior arm strength or great mobility, but he had the smarts part.......makes an OC's job like Dennison easier in designing an offense if his QB has the smarts part down....

I've always thought the opposite. As long as your team is prepared for it, a changeup to a different type of QB gives you a better chance to win because it throws off your opponent.

The other teams can't prpepare for the different things you'll do because they haven't seen it.

That TD throw to Thomas had perfect arc and tons of zip. The TD throw that Lofton dropped was a fastball, too. Kelly could sling it, no doubt.

7 pages in and still posting.

I guess this topic did deserve its own thread, huh champ?

The "backup skillset" to me is poised, mature, prepared, accurate enough and a competitor. I usually try to think about it in a quarter of the season increment. If _____ played 4 straight games can the team be 2-2? I say mature and poised because I want a guy that is prepared at a moment's notice. Peterman seems to check just about every box for me in that role.

The "backup skillset" to me is poised, mature, prepared, accurate enough and a competitor. I usually try to think about it in a quarter of the season increment. If _____ played 4 straight games can the team be 2-2? I say mature and poised because I want a guy that is prepared at a moment's notice. Peterman seems to check just about every box for me in that role.

....sure he's a rook and I am NOT skipping ahead....but......it would be nice to have a Reich type in the bullpen who filled in for Jimbo or a Brady who filled in for Bledsoe.......Reich is probably our last "bullpen ace"....