Gleason's "power take"

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but is it too much to expect that the WNY media at least have an informed opinion? In warning the Bills to be wary of signing Maclin, Bucky Gleason purports to hold them to their word to avoid "splash" signings. I would hardly regard Maclin to be a splash signing, but I believe the Bills front office promised only to acquire free agents to increase the talent level and competition level of the overall team. But that's at least arguable. What's laughable is Gleason's assertion that the Bills should assume that Andy Reid had "his reasons" for releasing Maclin. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of the situation knows the reason - the Chiefs are cash strapped and didn't even have enough cap room to sign their draft choices. They thought the world of Maclin as a teammate and competitor. Just didn't have the cap room to keep him. How does a sportswriter not know this? How about spending two minutes researching a topic before you write a "power take", which includes a shot at the Bills front office. Force of habit I guess.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but is it too much to expect that the WNY media at least have an informed opinion? In warning the Bills to be wary of signing Maclin, Bucky Gleason purports to hold them to their word to avoid "splash" signings. I would hardly regard Maclin to be a splash signing, but I believe the Bills front office promised only to acquire free agents to increase the talent level and competition level of the overall team. But that's at least arguable. What's laughable is Gleason's assertion that the Bills should assume that Andy Reid had "his reasons" for releasing Maclin. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of the situation knows the reason - the Chiefs are cash strapped and didn't even have enough cap room to sign their draft choices. They thought the world of Maclin as a teammate and competitor. Just didn't have the cap room to keep him. How does a sportswriter not know this? How about spending two minutes researching a topic before you write a "power take", which includes a shot at the Bills front office. Force of habit I guess.

This is the Buffalo News you're talking about. Keep expectations low and you won't be disappointed

Sal Capaccio made such a good point this morning on Howard Simon, one that would fly miles over Bucky Gleason's head despite his year's covering the Bills. You don't build for the future in June. You do that in March and April. June is where you fill holes or bolster positions.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Maclin for 1 year on a prove it deal is hardly is a splash signing. we aren't giving him 5 yrs and $100 mil. he's a good teammate and will only make the team better. we have the money available and it's a position of need so why not?

I posted this in the Maclin (visiting) thread this AM

I was hoping this would be something of a miracle recovery for Steve Gleason.

Now I'm disappointed.

My hope for him will always be high. ALS is a horrible disease that has taken away a good friend of mines ability to do many things in life and it has been tough to watch. I am not certain if it was meant to be a humorous post or not, but it failed if so.

Every word of what you wrote is what I thought when I read it.

I'm not thrilled with that article, but it's not nearly as unreasonable as you make it out to be.

Gleason didn't say anything about "holding them to their word," which would imply a lot of power to himself. What he said was that, "By signing him, Beane would run the risk of veering from his own message." Which is a lot more reasonable than how you paraphrased it.

Gleason also mentioned possible doubts that Maclin would be a big splash.

And while cap was obviously a major factor in this decision, that doesn't mean it was the only one. Reid waited to make this move until they'd seen him in six practices over the past couple of weeks, according to a Chiefs article.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/6/2/15732810/surprise-chiefs-cut-jeremy-maclin-save-10-million-against-the-cap

Might they not have been watching him to see if he'd lost a step? Might they not have seen something a bit worrisome? They're going to have $7.2 mill in dead cap money over the next couple of years from cutting him. This was not so easy a decision as you're making it sound.

And yeah the Chiefs thought the world of him as a teammate and competitor. Not so much as a performer, though, not last year. He was in 12 games and had two TDs and 536 yards, along with his lowest catch percentage since 2012 and his lowest Y/R.

There were a lot of questions in play here for KC. Cap was not the only concern. The Chiefs could have cut somebody else, but they didn't.

I often don't agree with Bucky, and he didn't convince me here, especially not knowing how much it will cost to sign Maclin. But his article wasn't as bad as you're saying.

Edited by Thurman#1