LB Gerald Hodges visiting-Edit: SIGNED!

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ragland shows up over 240, for a new coaching staff, in a new defense, after a lost rookie year, being a questionable scheme fit, he's a complete, utter moron.

In what world is that? Bizarro NFL? Manning is 36 and wasn't Peyton to begin with. They might not even make the playoffs this year, let alone be a super bowl contender.

giants are my dark horse playoff guy.

He could be a really good addition to the roster. I watched four games last season and wrote up a scouting report.

http://www.cover1.net/2017/05/scouting-report-lb-gerald-hodges/

thanks for doing this here. hopefully you'll discuss this with us.

sincerely mean it, thanks no new thread was needed

If Ragland shows up over 240, for a new coaching staff, in a new defense, after a lost rookie year, being a questionable scheme fit, he's a complete, utter moron.

i think he could be on point to come in to camp but i don't know where he'll be

In what world is that? Bizarro NFL? Manning is 36 and wasn't Peyton to begin with. They might not even make the playoffs this year, let alone be a super bowl contender.

He could be a really good addition to the roster. I watched four games last season and wrote up a scouting report.

http://www.cover1.net/2017/05/scouting-report-lb-gerald-hodges/

Congratulations on killing the best joke this place has probably ever had.

A laugh riot. Silly Bills fans. Valuing 3rd and 4th round draft choices over FA FB's, backup OL & crappy CB's. What morons would ever question such moves.

(Sarcasm on)

Get busy winning or get busy losing, ust dont get stuck in the middle.

i think he could be on point to come in to camp but i don't know where he'll be

Would love to discuss it, but it doesn't look like there is actual conversation about the player going down.

Would love to discuss it, but it doesn't look like there is actual conversation about the player going down.

let's start one :thumbsup:

What I like about Hodges is his versatiliy. He is similar to Poz in that he can cover the areas between the tackles quite well and back pedal fairly well. He can move to the flats to find the area where he needs to be. What I see as deficient in him is similar to Poz in that get can get lost in the wash as I've always heard it called. When traffic is thick he is not effective and he doesn't hold up against big OL like a bigger LB might. Also, similar to Poz he doesn't have the best hand eye coordination.

Short of that I like that he brings acceleration and football instinct to a team lacking experience at LB.

If we can get a solid DE in front of him to chip the TE it will be yuge. Having a solid nickel inside to keep the slot players from slipping inside him will also help.

In this defense I just don't know. We can't run like Carolina. We don't have Keuchly and Davis. We have a better DL and equal DB's.

let's start one :thumbsup:

What I like about Hodges is his versatiliy. He is similar to Poz in that he can cover the areas between the tackles quite well and back pedal fairly well. He can move to the flats to find the area where he needs to be. What I see as deficient in him is similar to Poz in that get can get lost in the wash as I've always heard it called. When traffic is thick he is not effective and he doesn't hold up against big OL like a bigger LB might. Also, similar to Poz he doesn't have the best hand eye coordination.

Short of that I like that he brings acceleration and football instinct to a team lacking experience at LB.

If we can get a solid DE in front of him to chip the TE it will be yuge. Having a solid nickel inside to keep the slot players from slipping inside him will also help.

In this defense I just don't know. We can't run like Carolina. We don't have Keuchly and Davis. We have a better DL and equal DB's.

He is versatile in a sense that he can be moved from Will in 4-3 under schemes to Sam in 4-3 over schemes. The over front helps protect him versus OL climbing to the second level, it keeps him clean because as you alluded to, he isn't a take on player. He has to play stacked behinid the DL as he doesn't stack and shed well. But he is VERY good at scraping, and flowing over the top as those DL spill the play wide. He has some man coverage limitations because he doesn't fire when he changes direction. But as far as a zone defender, he has the zone eyes and awareness to click and close on threats entering his zone.

He is versatile in a sense that he can be moved from Will in 4-3 under schemes to Sam in 4-3 over schemes. The over front helps protect him versus OL climbing to the second level, it keeps him clean because as you alluded to, he isn't a take on player. He has to play stacked behinid the DL as he doesn't stack and shed well. But he is VERY good at scraping, and flowing over the top as those DL spill the play wide. He has some man coverage limitations because he doesn't fire when he changes direction. But as far as a zone defender, he has the zone eyes and awareness to click and close on threats entering his zone.

scheme flexability

Isnt that what McD has been preaching so far?

scheme flexability

Isnt that what McD has been preaching so far?

Def. We don't have the athletes yet that they had in Carolina, so he has to find guys that can fill roles. In essence, piece mealing rather than having a do it all guy.

Def. We don't have the athletes yet that they had in Carolina, so he has to find guys that can fill roles. In essence, piece mealing rather than having a do it all guy.

Should provide some insight into Sean's flexibility and ability to adapt to the players he has to work with. He is not going to attain Carolina styled defense this year for sure.

I look forward to how he responds this season into next too.

very much hope that if we sign him ragland pays out as inside linebacker. in goal line situation we could be pretty good with him outside as a will with an extra linebacker brought on to run a 44. ragland inside with preston brown and lorenzo alexander playing outside sam.

to me it is hard to understand that we will have to field the best 11 players on defense - well, the way i would run defefnse at least - and be worthwhile

kyle williams

marcel dareus

jerry hughes

shaq lawson

ron darby

tre white

micah hyde

safety schmuck 2

linebacker

lorenzo alexander

reggie ragland

its hard for me to look at our defense and think that humbar should be starting over preston brown, though they are different positions. i'm much more likely to put ragland outside in a shaq thompson role and preston brown inside. or maybe vice versa.

i just can't see any comfort in what we have on defense.