This is not a rebuild, folks...

eball

They have great cb's now, but their pass rush isn't great. Their D is a great example of having the best coach and qb. When has BB ever fielded a bad defense?

And having Brady has always helped that unit enormously. He keeps opposing offenses off the field, and makes them one dimensional by building leads.

They may not have been outright bad, but Belichick** and the Pats** had decidedly mediocre defenses in the earlier part of this decade. I think 2011 when they lost the Superbowl was about their worst D - 15th on points and 31st on yards.

It's really only the last 3 years that they've improved consistency and the last year that they've excelled.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't have? Well, I don't disagree with you there.

Whaley shouldn't have done a crappy job with the cap, but he did. I don't mind Ducasse specifically. I don't really know anything about him except that he's a UMASS guy and that's where I got my Masters. Go Minutemen!!!! But I'm with you that I would rather they had for example not given Shady the raise they did. Or not signed Clay even though it's obvious from the All-22 that he's very open extremely often. Or hadn't signed Harvin so that they were paying him dead cap last year and could have rolled the money over into this year's cap. Or something.

Point is, they were in an awful situation and had to let a bunch of guys go that they probably didn't want to ... guys like Gilmore and Zac Brown. And Gillislee.

The issue with Ducasse is less the contract for me and more the signing itself. I think he is a poor guard and I already consider interior offensive line a strength with Groy and Lewis. I suppose he might have been signed as insurance incase a team offered Groy a deal the Bills didn't want to match. If Ducasse makes the roster though I will consider it poor allocation of resources because he will count against the comp pick formula. However, let's be clear he was a McDermott pick up not a Whaley one.

As for the three cap moves you criticise Whaley for - I disagree on Shady. They gave him a new deal that was in keeping with the market for top 5 running backs. Now I know a lot of people would rather never dedicate big resource to the position, but for a team that doesn't have an established franchise Quarterback I did not think it was a bad contract to give. Clay and Harvin on the other hand I 100% agree. Clay's contract was, at the point signed, the largest % of guaranteed money for a non Quarterback in the NFL (it was more than most non-rookie deal Quarterbacks too). That is a crazy, out of whack deal that didn't match the market at all. I know why they did it - to stop the Dolphins matching... but that still doesn't stop it being in my mind a bad contract. As for Harvin... I believe him to have been the most overrated player in the NFL of the past decade (and I thought that before we signed him) so blowing the money we did on him was pure idiocy as far as I am concerned.

This roster is overrated. The defense of 2014 is dead and buried. It ain't coming back with McDermott in 2017.

but atleast we still have mccoy, when were the bills getting rid of him again?

The issue with Ducasse is less the contract for me and more the signing itself. I think he is a poor guard and I already consider interior offensive line a strength with Groy and Lewis. I suppose he might have been signed as insurance incase a team offered Groy a deal the Bills didn't want to match. If Ducasse makes the roster though I will consider it poor allocation of resources because he will count against the comp pick formula. However, let's be clear he was a McDermott pick up not a Whaley one.

As for the three cap moves you criticise Whaley for - I disagree on Shady. They gave him a new deal that was in keeping with the market for top 5 running backs. Now I know a lot of people would rather never dedicate big resource to the position, but for a team that doesn't have an established franchise Quarterback I did not think it was a bad contract to give. Clay and Harvin on the other hand I 100% agree. Clay's contract was, at the point signed, the largest % of guaranteed money for a non Quarterback in the NFL (it was more than most non-rookie deal Quarterbacks too). That is a crazy, out of whack deal that didn't match the market at all. I know why they did it - to stop the Dolphins matching... but that still doesn't stop it being in my mind a bad contract. As for Harvin... I believe him to have been the most overrated player in the NFL of the past decade (and I thought that before we signed him) so blowing the money we did on him was pure idiocy as far as I am concerned.

They didn't have to give Shady a new deal. They had him under contract cheaply for another year or two. Huge waste of resources. Picking him up was a good move. Bidding against ourselves to give him a new really huge new contract ... really bad idea, IMHO.

In combination with a bunch of other moves it put us in salary cap hell and resulted in us losing a bunch of good players.

Again, don't know enough about Ducasse to talk about him. They've done a pretty poor job with the draft over the Whaley years, but a decent job with pro players, so I'd hold criticism for right now. I'm with you that comp picks are important, and wish they would be more careful with this. But if they hadn't picked up Ducasse, they'd still have gotten one more qualifying UFA than they lost, so wouldn't have a comp pick.

Ducasse's signing bonus is only $250K. He'd be easy to cut if he doesn't play well, and his average salary is only $1.16 M. It's not as if they gave up much. IMHO they're taking a flier and can easily drop him if it doesn't work out.

Edited by Thurman#1

They didn't have to give Shady a new deal. They had him under contract cheaply for another year or two. Huge waste of resources. Picking him up was a good move. Bidding against ourselves to give him a new really huge new contract ... really bad idea, IMHO.

In combination with a bunch of other moves it put us in salary cap hell and resulted in us losing a bunch of good players.

It wasn't a really huge contract. It was a top 5 running back contract. It fitted the market. Resources are for accumulating and retaining top talent. As long as they do that in such a way that reflects the NFL market place in each instance it makes sense to me.

Again, don't know enough about Ducasse to talk about him. They've done a pretty poor job with the draft over the Whaley years, but a decent job with pro players, so I'd hold criticism for right now. I'm with you that comp picks are important, and wish they would be more careful with this. But if they hadn't picked up Ducasse, they'd still have gotten one more qualifying UFA than they lost, so wouldn't have a comp pick.

Ducasse's signing bonus is only $250K. He'd be easy to cut if he doesn't play well, and his average salary is only $1.16 M. It's not as if they gave up much. IMHO they're taking a flier and can easily drop him if it doesn't work out.

Ducasse was not a Whaley pick up. It is clear to everyone that McDermott has been driving this bus since the moment he arrived. I just don't think he is a good player. As I say he may have been signed as insurance against someone giving Groy an offer sheet that they were not willing to match and I think his chance of making the roster is 50/50 in that case (he is competing with Patrick Lewis for the 2nd backup interior lineman job). If that is the case I can see some sense to it, otherwise I am not persuaded.

My point was they had cap to sign Ducasse but not cap to sign MG?

Ducasse blows. MG has proven to be a very solid RB and was a strength of the offense last year when McCoy couldn't find the end zone or typically sucked in short yardage situations.

Resigning the guy who provided those little things as opposed to one of the worst lineman in the league(4 mil against the cap nonetheless) is a bad way to use the minimal cap at your disposal.

And that's McDermott. Not Whaley.

The theme the Bills are running with is McDermott is a big attention to detail guy. Well, maybe I'm missing something,

but how much attention to detail do you need to not value MG over a guy like Ducasse?

Ducasse is being paid a whopping...wait for it...$0.85 million in 2017.

None of his money is guaranteed aside from a $250,000 signing bonus.

Where the hell are you getting "$4 million against the cap" from?

Ducasse is being paid a whopping...wait for it...$0.85 million in 2017.

None of his money is guaranteed aside from a $250,000 signing bonus.

Where the hell are you getting "$4 million against the cap" from?

Indeed the total deal over 3 years is only $3.5m.

So we should not try to win because we know the pats are going to be good?

No. I think they need to recognize that they are a flawed team, without a franchise QB.

Sure, it is possible they make a run in the regular season. Most one-score games fall in their favor.... and they get to travel to a wild card game to get their teeth kicked in by a better team, only to be back to square one this time next year. I don't care to have a one and out Dolphins season. Looking at the Dolphins, that isnt sustainable.

I want the organization to take a longer view. I want them to put a franchise together to be a competitive team for a 10-20 year span, the likes of Pittsburgh, NE, Green Bay, Baltimore, NYG, etc. Sure some poor season mixed in for most of them, but overall they have a legit chance every season, many playoff games, home playoff games, primetime, etc...

I thought that's what sportrac said but your right.

His cap hit is around $1 million this year.

Still I'd use all that $1 million on MG and not one of the worst lineman in the league.

I sure hope TD Mike thanks you for all of this ball washing. When are you officially becoming a Pats*** fan?

Sorry I have admiration for a guy who excelled at finding the end zone and picking up first downs when their starting RB couldn't.

I think most people would agree that's more valuable then an awful lineman.

My posts really get you mad huh?

Mad is the wrong word. You're perplexing; you clearly aren't happy with anything about this franchise (and can't do a thing about it) yet you choose to spend your time here complaining. It's just odd to me.

But hey, it's a free country.

Sorry I have admiration for a guy who excelled at finding the end zone and picking up first downs when their starting RB couldn't.

I think most people would agree that's more valuable then an awful lineman.

My posts really get you mad huh?

He is the enemy now....I hope Reggie Ragland OPENS UP A CAN OF WHOOP BUTT

Edited by John from Hemet

What?

Interpret it how you want. I'm stating what I see as the obvious. Not resigning a very productive RB in MG made little sense.

I've said several times if the chips fall right(granted a lot of chips) they can be a playoff team this year. I've criticized a few of the moves made by McDermott but also welcomed the must needed change from Whaley and company.

Take the rose colored frames off and have some objectivity.

i didnt like losing him either.....but were past it?

He is the enemy now....I hope Reggie Ragland OPENS UP A CAN OF WHOOP BUTT

I hope Jerry picks him up and throws him into Tommy breaking Tommy's leg. (I did see Jerry throw a RB into Fannyhill once causing him to fumble so I know he can do it.)

Dude, please. I called for Rex's firing and accurately predicted (to the day) the firing of Whaley. I'm optimistic but not blind, and I don't embark upon crusades.

You're a one-trick pony.

i didnt like losing him either.....but were past it?

It was actually this offseason and quite possibly the first blunder of our new front man in his first months of the job. If we aren't supposed to talk about that, what are we supposed to talk about? How good Tyrod could be x infinity?

What?

Interpret it how you want. I'm stating what I see as the obvious. Not resigning a very productive RB in MG made little sense.

I've said several times if the chips fall right(granted a lot of chips) they can be a playoff team this year. I've criticized a few of the moves made by McDermott but also welcomed the must needed change from Whaley and company.

You DO see how an appeal for objectivity might be hard to take when coming from you though don't you? I can probably count the number of "the sky is NOT falling" posts you've made on one hand. There seems to be a feeling amongst a lot of the doom and gloomers here that the only "objective" reality is some pessimistic "we're never getting better until they follow my plan" response to every single move the team makes. Those who disagree with them, or choose to look at those same situations with an open mind and are willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt, are somehow "koolaid drinkers" wearing "rose-colored glasses." There is no reason to rip on someone for having a different viewpoint that has a more positive spin than yours. Hope is not naive, it's a choice. Positivity is not blindness to a situation, it's a decision to look for positive ways to deal with a situation. You are not a more "real" or "centered" or "objective" fan because you choose to complain.

PREDICTION- The Bills have a top 5 offense both in yards and points. We lead the league in rushing yet again.

That is half the battle. Rex is a complete clown, that plays over complicated 1980's defense. Just by subtraction, that is a major win. As stated, we get Ragland, Lawson, and Listenbee back- which is in essence 3 bonus draft picks. Dareus will be back at his best positin. McDermontt is the antithesis of Rex. Just on disclipine alone, we should win a few more games. The schedule is brutal. But I for one am optimistic about this year. Might I add, I am a Tyrod fan. And think he is hugely underappreciated

This is NOT a rebuild because It isn't safe to do that right now...

You see, the tires haven't stopped burning yet... Once they're out, they have to be removed, along with about 20 feet of contaminated soil... Gonna be while before a new foundation gets poured....

McDoomed has a massive. massive, undertaking ahead of him... I don't envy the guy.

Your the one crusading right now there bud against every one of my "negative" posts.... Just as you crusaded against the guys who came here and reported FACTUAL information about injuries to players on the team.

I hate to break it to you but my "negative" opinions are usually right when it comes to this team.

All I said was the move of not resigning MG made little sense and will hurt our running game which apparently **** on eballs parade..... It's a message board. It's an opinion. I said they would need some breaks but if the chips fall that way they could compete for the playoffs.

Somebody should count the number of posts you've made about the Gillislee decision. I'm guessing it's close to 100.

You also apparently don't know the meaning of the word crusade.