This is not a rebuild, folks...

eball

Guest NeckBeard

I would not be particularly offended if the Bills are in rebuild mode. I would rather that they begin rebuilding under a new HC, a new GM, and a new scouting regime now, or even next year, rather than three years from now. Having written that, the draft came across more to me in filling holes than starting over. The biggest indicator was trading out of their spot in the first round, and its upside for the 2018 draft. Then the picks they'd made tried to address their needs, maybe not perfectly, but the draft as we're aware is a crapshoot.

Rebuild or no rebuild, we are finally seeing something new for a change. Looking forward to it, and hoping that it works out.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitz, Orton, EJ, Thad and Tuel all managed to hit that lofty 6-8 win mark. I'm sure we'll find someone.

Orton was decent and saved that season. Comparing Taylor to the other three shows ignorance. Taylor is much better than those three. 15-14 record is a winning record last time I checked. If he had played Jacksonville in 2015 he would have had 9 wins that year. Played last game in 2016 he would have had 8 wins. EJ, Thad and Tuel are terrible QBs. What a bad, non informative post.

Guest NeckBeard

Orton was decent and saved that season. Comparing Taylor to the other three shows ignorance. Taylor is much better than those three. 15-14 record is a winning record last time I checked. If he had played Jacksonville in 2015 he would have had 9 wins that year. Played last game in 2016 he would have had 8 wins. EJ, Thad and Tuel are terrible QBs. What a bad, non informative post.

Not playing EJ was a huge mistake, and I say this not because he had untapped potential, but because not playing him and therefore not seeing his terrible body of work for a whole season probably delayed addressing the QB position through the draft in hopes of getting a long-term solution... yet again. To me, 9-7 or not, the season with Orton was yet another lost one.

Edited by NeckBeard

EJ, Thad and Tuel hit 6 wins hombre. The poster I was responded said losing TT would regress us worse than winning 6 games. The 2013 bums say otherwise.

Not playing EJ was a huge mistake, and I say this not because he had untapped potential, but because not playing him and therefore not seeing his terrible body of work for a whole season probably delayed addressing the QB position through the draft in hopes of getting a long-term solution... yet again. To me, 9-7 or not, the season with Orton was yet another lost one.

I agree, what was the point with Orton? He wasn't going to be the future no matter what. Bringing a guy out of retirement only happens when a teams starter gets injured.

First, teams win/lose games, not QBs.

Secondly, it's cute how you "know" that the Bills would have won every game they lost without TT, had TT played.

They got rid of a half dozen of their most talented players.

They kept a painfully mediocre QB.

They have a first-time HC.

They have a first-time GM.

They are facing their toughest schedule in recent memory.

This is, indeed, a rebuild. And it's about goddamn time.

At least with Beane being hired, it seems that McBeano will be the tandem for a few years to come.

I'd expect (pray/hope/beg for) a new QB next year and serious aspirations for a playoff run in 2019.

Could you please name these half dozen players because I can't think of 6.

Edited by manbeast

Lets assume the Bills win 6 to 8 games this season.... Why would they release Tyrod after next season and regress even more in 2018?

McDermott and company would be close to ending a quick tenure in Buffalo if that's the plan...

People seem obsessed with cap room. Who !@#$ing cares about the cap when you release/let good players walk to get that cap room?

I agree this is probably the last year here for Kyle and Wood. But Tyrod will be here for at least the 2018 season.

I'm sorry, I had more throughts bouncing around my head that I forgot to insert into that post regarding Tyrod- my notion of releasing him was assuming that we draft a top tier QB in the 2018 draft... if we draft a QB high, they aren't going to be paying Tyrod's contract when they have their future on the roster

I could see the OLine being better with the addition of Dawkins at RT, though there may be rookie growing pains. I could see the defensive line being better with a full season from Lawson and a focused season from Dareus and a return to the better fit of a 4-3. Everywhere else I think got worse or at best stayed the same:

CBs - Gilmore to White - downgrade, NRC gone, depth is not any worse than last year.

WRs - Woods to Jones - ???? could go either way, depth is another ??? Agree.

LBs - Zach Brown to Ragland - downgrade, can the linebackers play McD's scheme?You don't know that, you guys need to stop acting like he was Ray Lewis.

S - Graham & Williams to Hyde & Poyer (I'd feel better if we get Boston) - ???? Could go either way.Williams was a great safety when in the line-up. A healthy legitimate starting safety is a definite upgrade.

RB - Gillislee to ????Johnathan Williams was one of the top RBs in the draft if not for Off the field stuff.

Yes, the coaching staff is bringing a more disciplined approach, but it's also a first time head coach and they are implementing a new offensive and defensive scheme, there are likely going to be growing pains. I don't think we'll go 2-14 (we never do), but it's a tough schedule with a lot of changes and a lot of questions, I can't see a legitimate playoff push right now.

I could see the OLine being better with the addition of Dawkins at RT, though there may be rookie growing pains. I could see the defensive line being better with a full season from Lawson and a focused season from Dareus and a return to the better fit of a 4-3. Everywhere else I think got worse or at best stayed the same:

CBs - Gilmore to White - downgrade, NRC gone, depth is not any worse than last year.

WRs - Woods to Jones - ???? could go either way, depth is another ??? Agree.

LBs - Zach Brown to Ragland - downgrade, can the linebackers play McD's scheme?You don't know that, you guys need to stop acting like he was Ray Lewis.

S - Graham & Williams to Hyde & Poyer (I'd feel better if we get Boston) - ???? Could go either way.Williams was a great safety when in the line-up. A healthy legitimate starting safety is a definite upgrade.

RB - Gillislee to ????Johnathan Williams was one of the top RBs in the draft if not for Off the field stuff.

Yes, the coaching staff is bringing a more disciplined approach, but it's also a first time head coach and they are implementing a new offensive and defensive scheme, there are likely going to be growing pains. I don't think we'll go 2-14 (we never do), but it's a tough schedule with a lot of changes and a lot of questions, I can't see a legitimate playoff push right now.

I find it hilarious that you said others are treating Brown like he was Ray Lewis.... Ray Lewis is who many compared Ragland's game to!!

First, teams win/lose games, not QBs.

Secondly, it's cute how you "know" that the Bills would have won every game they lost without TT, had TT played.

I'm positive he could beat two horrible teams at the time. The EJ turnover machine would not exist. Nothing suggests the Bills would not have two more Ws had Taylor played instead.

Gilmore, Woods, Brown, Graham, Williams, Gillislee

Maybe, maybe, unlikely, unlikely, didn't have him last year either, and LOL.

Edited by eball

Awww change the subject on the Miami games? Face it there is zero argument to b made that tyrod lost the Miami games. The defense did. Win those and it's playoffs. Bree's threw for the most yards and won 8 games. Your point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if it loses the argument, but Hotrod had Goodwin open in the EZ on the play before the missed FG, but made a bad pass. Incomplete.

I don't know if it loses the argument, but Hotrod had Goodwin open in the EZ on the play before the missed FG, but made a bad pass. Incomplete.

Offense put up 600 yards and 31 points. Can't fault them.

I read a bit of this thread.

I think it's a building year, not a rebuilding year. For rebuilding to make sense as a word, it has to mean taking apart and reconstructing. That isn't what's happening with the Bills. The Bills are in a normal building, ideally continuous improvement, process.

It was generally agreed last season that the Bills had one of the better rosters in the conference, and they still do. They're way ahead of the game simply because they have Watkins and McCoy. They have a serviceable quarterback. They have some good offensive linemen. They have Dareus and Hughes plus two quality rookies, essentially, in Ragland and Lawson. They have what should be a good pair of corners. They have veteran safeties. This isn't a rebuilding situation.

This is all about continuing to get better. Maybe Watkins leaves, maybe he doesn't, maybe Taylor leaves, maybe he doesn't. They're important parts of the team, but they are by no means all of it.

What this year is about is whether McDermott is the right guy, and if he is, how quickly he can get the team headed in the right direction. It might take a season. It might take six games. It might take less.

This post really twists and turns to make a false conclusion. One of the more talented rosters? Look at what the oddsmakers think of this team, 6 wins or less. They have revamped their entire secondary outside of a one year wonder in Darby. The LB group is among the slowest in the NFL. Hughes looks to have been a product of his teammates success. I don't see 14' Mario out there opposite him.

I want this team to be good but this is not an honest evaluation of their current talent.

Edited by Commonsense

This post really twists and turns to make a false conclusion. One of the more talented rosters? Look at what the oddsmakers think of this team, 6 wins or less. They have revamped their entire secondary outside of a one year wonder in Darby. The LB group is among the slowest in the NFL. Hughes looks to have been a product of his teammates success. I don't see 14' Mario out there opposite him.

I want this team to be good but this is not an honest evaluation of their current talent.

Rams are 5.5, Bears are 5.5, Bills are 6

We are a half game better than the Rams and Bears per Vegas.

The drought continues.

Edited by Maury Ballstein