That GM search was embarassing

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. I actually think Bills fans have more reason to be optimistic than they've had in a very long time, as things are being done differently than they've been done for a very long time. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but at least it's not the same old same old that hasn't worked for a decade+. We don't have to worry about a power struggle from day one. No more stories about our HC storming out of the draft room after Whaley trades multiple picks for a WR, or having his 2nd string QB traded away for future late round picks to force EJ up the depth chart. Whether or not this works remains to be seen, but I'll always be grateful to McDermott for the change he forced.

Great perspective

All he has to do is get a QB and he will be talked about as an amazing GM.

Nothing Matters without a QB.

I agree that if the McDermott/Beane land a very good QB they will be here for a while. But I wonder how much interest McDermott the first time head coach has in drafting and developing a QB? Coaches don't like drafting and developing QB's. They would prefer to use draft picks on players that can help them keep their job that year.

The Pegulas have decided to put the long term future of the Buffalo Bills in the hands of a coach trying to win now and consolidate his power. Those who assume a QB will be drafted next year might come to regret this setup.

in 4 years we will all be sitting here asking our selves what kind of team lets a rookie HC run the entire football operations

and then we realize we are Bills fans

:thumbsup: 17 years and full steam ahead in the same direction.

There is no structure.

you have absolutely no idea.

i challenge you to tell us one thing you like about the bills right now. it can be as general as possible, but let's see if you can do it.

Well said. I actually think Bills fans have more reason to be optimistic than they've had in a very long time, as things are being done differently than they've been done for a very long time. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but at least it's not the same old same old that hasn't worked for a decade+. We don't have to worry about a power struggle from day one. No more stories about our HC storming out of the draft room after Whaley trades multiple picks for a WR, or having his 2nd string QB traded away for future late round picks to force EJ up the depth chart. Whether or not this works remains to be seen, but I'll always be grateful to McDermott for the change he forced.

this is pretty much exactly where i'm at with it.

All he has to do is get a QB and he will be talked about as an amazing GM.

Nothing Matters without a QB.

Whaley knew the problem when hired and addressed it with other teams backups that helped this team to the longest loser streak in all of sports. We will see where this new GM goes with QB in next year's draft, I agree until a franchise worthy QB is brought in nothing else matters.

I used to be an officer in the army and would break down the reporting of our operations as follows:

* 1/3 was somewhat accurate.

* 1/3 was wrong

* 1/3 was flat out stupid.

I'm not sure it's naivete or hubris that makes us believe we can evaluate the GM search when all we know about it is what few nuggets appeared in the sports media which I guess is no more accurate than the news media.

We all assume McD recommended Beane. But if so, so what? It might be a very good recommendation. And how did Pegs identify the other candidates? Did he hire a search firm? A consultant? Did the search firm or consultant participate in the interviews? Does Pegs have a group of unofficial advisors including people like Bill Polian? Maybe Polian praised the hiring of Beane because he championed Beane. We just don't know. And yet we judge.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I agree that if the McDermott/Beane land a very good QB they will be here for a while. But I wonder how much interest McDermott the first time head coach has in drafting and developing a QB? Coaches don't like drafting and developing QB's. They would prefer to use draft picks on players that can help them keep their job that year.

The Pegulas have decided to put the long term future of the Buffalo Bills in the hands of a coach trying to win now and consolidate his power. Those who assume a QB will be drafted next year might come to regret this setup.

I think this season will be very telling. McD and Beane can make their own decision on Taylor. I think if anyone can put Taylor is a system that he can have success its Dennison. If the Bills offense is flat then I can see them going QB next year. I dont see the Bills making the playoffs but if Taylor has a good season, I see the Bills finding other key contributors in next years draft.

Every time I come to this site, someone is crying or whining about something

Including those who cry and whine about someone crying or whining? True. What's Your Point?

Whaley knew the problem when hired and addressed it with other teams backups that helped this team to the longest loser streak in all of sports. We will see where this new GM goes with QB in next year's draft, I agree until a franchise worthy QB is brought in nothing else matters.

I'd just like to point out that, while not meeting the ultimate goal of winning the Superbowl, a number of teams have successfully gone to the playoffs repeatedly with a QB I don't think we'd consider "franchise worthy", while other teams who have drafted a QB who arguably is (or could be), have consistently failed to put enough of the other necessary pieces around said QB.

Including those who cry and whine about someone crying or whining? True. What's Your Point?

I'd just like to point out that, while not meeting the ultimate goal of winning the Superbowl, a number of teams have successfully gone to the playoffs repeatedly with a QB I don't think we'd consider "franchise worthy", while other teams who have drafted a QB who arguably is (or could be), have consistently failed to put enough of the other necessary pieces around said QB.

I wasn't whining or crying, hapless, pointing out facts, didn't realize so many teenage girls posted here

I wasn't whining or crying, hapless, pointing out facts, didn't realize so many teenage girls posted here

I'd suggest searching your posting history and seeing what percentage of YOUR posts are football related vs. the number that are directed at other posters.

I'd suggest searching your posting history and seeing what percentage of YOUR posts are football related vs. the number that are directed at other posters.

I call them as I see them, don't like it? Don't read or respond to my posts, it's quite simple

I don't get the negativity. Nobody really knows the in and outs of the process, or knows any of these candidates well enough to truly know if we've made the right choice.

Why always assume the worst? I get it, it's been a tough couple of decades for this franchise, but these are new owners and a new leadership group.

Don't we owe them at least a season or two for this to play out before calling the process embarrassing? I'm quite confident the OP, just like the rest of us has very limited knowledge of the process he's calling out. We have to put some trust into the organization, regardless of whether we've been burned before. This is a different time, and a different set of people with different experiences.

Just give it a chance.