VCR alert: ESPNU: Peterman vs Trubisky

Just a heads up: Thursday, May 4th at 12:30am eatern ESPNU is showing the Gruden QB camp special featuring Nate Peterman, followed by a Sept. 2016 Pitt vs North Carolina game at 1am (eastern). It may not seem important now, but in June, when NBA and NHL playoffs are over, and your jonsing for some football, this might look pretty good...a shootout classic.

And, not for nothing, but after that a replay of the Clemson/Alabama championship game....one of the greatest college football games I have ever seen...football is in the air!

Edited by Buftex

It seems like Peterson was Trent like in that game.

Admittedly, I didn't pay much attention to Peterman pre-draft. After watching some game highlights, however, it really appears as though he has a very weak arm. I like the way he stands tall in the pocket and scans the field. I like his footwork in the pocket. I like his mechanics and throwing motion. His throws just don't seem to have any zip on them.

Admittedly, I didn't pay much attention to Peterman pre-draft. After watching some game highlights, however, it really appears as though he has a very weak arm. I like the way he stands tall in the pocket and scans the field. I like his footwork in the pocket. I like his mechanics and throwing motion. His throws just don't seem to have any zip on them.

Hence my comparison to Chad Pennington pre-shoulder surgeries. Chad never had the strongest arm, but he was cerebral and deadly accurate. I believe that is what we have in Peterman. There are throws where he puts just enough zip on the ball to squeeze it through a tight window, but he doesn't have a Stafford type of arm by any means.

true story, my mother in law still has boxes and boxes of VCR tapes. she taped every second of the OJ trial. she thinks they might be worth something some day. she has closets full of these things. do any of you old timers still have any VCR tapes/players?

Edited by kdiggz

Hence my comparison to Chad Pennington pre-shoulder surgeries. Chad never had the strongest arm, but he was cerebral and deadly accurate. I believe that is what we have in Peterman. There are throws where he puts just enough zip on the ball to squeeze it through a tight window, but he doesn't have a Stafford type of arm by any means.

Good point and takes more than a strong arm to be a NFL qb. But when you have a weaker arm like Fitz or Pennington, it will limit your offense.

a replay of the Clemson/Alabama championship game....one of the greatest college football games I have ever seen...football is in the air!

That Championship game was immense. I almost went to bed at half time and convinced myself to power on through - it was well worth it.

Good point and takes more than a strong arm to be a NFL qb. But when you have a weaker arm like Fitz or Pennington, it will limit your offense.

In 2002, Pennington was "limited" to 68.9% completions, 22 TDs and 6 INTs, 7.8 YPA and a 104.2 passer rating. And it's gotten a lot easier since then for QBs to get much better stats.

At that point, though, those numbers put him 1st in passer rating, 1st in completion percentage, 3rd in YPA, 8th in TDs (after missing the first four games of the season and only playing 12). He led the league in TD rate and was second-best in INT rate as well, which is freakish.

He never had a great arm, just good enough, but after those two rotator cuff surgeries he wasn't even good enough. Pennington was looking like an elite QB until the injuries.

And the same kind of caveat for Fitz. The problem has never been his arm, it's been his decision-making. You're right that he's never had more than a decent arm, but that was enough. It was his gunslinger tendencies and inconsistency that always caused him problems.

Edited by Thurman#1

true story, my mother in law still has boxes and boxes of VCR tapes. she taped every second of the OJ trial. she thinks they might be worth something some day. she has closets full of these things. do any of you old timers still have any VCR tapes/players?

My friend still uses his VCR. I went there and heard a tape rewinding like wtf. He said were about to watch Little Giants.

I still have all 4 Bills superbowls and a ton of playoff games on VHS at my dad's house.

I'd get them switched to digital, but I honestly have no desire to watch them.

Those OJ trial tapes on the other hand...

i do, boxes and boxes, and two players just in case one breaks.

I'm not even that old, technically a millennial.

I have a combo VCR/DVD player.

There will always a place in the NFL for a QB who throws with accuracy. timing and can read a defense -- even if he has mediocre arm strength. That may limit him as a career backup/spot starter -- or, if he continues to weave his craft and do whatever he can to improve the arm strength, perhaps he could develop into something better.

Peterman may have limited upside but appears to be a guy who will probably stay in the league given the shortage of QBs coming out of college these days who can actually read a defense and throw with anticipation. I think that is was Gruden meant when he said that any team drafting Peterman would recognize a "sure profit".