Beane interview Thursday

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NeckBeard

Hopefully he will not be the Beane of our existence.

OMG I am so glad that Berman isn't doing that much anymore. Otherwise, if Beane gets hired, this would become a Berman thing. "Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills, but that was in times past, so now, THE BILLS. WHAT IS THIS?! BEANE IS THE BEANE OF THE AFC EAST'S EXISTENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I could honestly see that happening.

Edited by NeckBeard

This is shaping up to be the most unsurprising and predictable GM hire in decades. I expect the Rooney Rule candidate to interview via Skype.

Or be tricked via text:

Bills: Our friend Doug made THOUSANDS/MONTH doing almost nothing!!! Emailing PRON at work, chilling on his bosses YACHT! Getting crazy haircuts! CLICK HERE if you are interested!!!

Rooney Candidate: Who is this? How'd you get my #?

Bills: We're sorry, this interview is over.

I hope when this guy gets to the podium and someone stupidly asks why do you think you are qualified for the job he replies "Well I suggested we draft cam newton, next question"

I would ask how many rings he won you. Who else they were looking st without a qb. And its newton. It was obvious. But destined to fall.

Every time I read "Beane" my brain goes immediately to Mr. Bean. Hopefully he's better....

At least press conferences would be more amusing then.

Question about the Rooney Rule...not related to the Bills GM search, just a thought that crossed my mind.

Let's say a team is really narrowed in on the coach or GM they want but have to interview someone for the Rooney Rule, but all of the likely minority interviewees refuse the offer because they know it would just be a formality and they don't really have a shot? I mean, what if you couldn't get a qualified minority candidate to actually interview, then what?

You do not fill the office like Washington's team.

Not trying to start a whole debate but the Rooney Rule is so dumb. If I was a black GM interviewing for a job that I knew already belonged to someone else I would feel disrespected, just a formality. Seems more racist than what the rule is trying to stop but what do I know. Has any team really changed their mind on who they wanted to hire just from an interview?

Supposedly, Mike Tomlin was interviewed to satisfy the Rooney Rule and they liked him so much they hired him.

Supposedly, Mike Tomlin was interviewed to satisfy the Rooney Rule and they liked him so much they hired him.

If it works once I guess it's worth it, though I hate the entire idea. I'd like to think the entire world just wants the best guy, regardless of everything else. Maybe some disagree? If you're disinclined to hire a black coach, I suspect interviewing one would not change your mind. I just don't get the whole way of thought....

If it works once I guess it's worth it, though I hate the entire idea. I'd like to think the entire world just wants the best guy, regardless of everything else. Maybe some disagree? If you're disinclined to hire a black coach, I suspect interviewing one would not change your mind. I just don't get the whole way of thought....

The Rooney Rule was less intend to solve the problem of "not wanting to hire a black coach" than it was to break the good ol' boys network that would recycle coaches rather than take a risk on an unknown, which made it much more difficult to even get an interview as a minority coach.

In that regard, it's actually ended up being a very smart rule. It's gotten a lot of candidates exposure at higher levels than they would have otherwise received, but they still succeed or fail on their own qualifications.

The Rooney Rule was less intend to solve the problem of "not wanting to hire a black coach" than it was to break the good ol' boys network that would recycle coaches rather than take a risk on an unknown, which made it much more difficult to even get an interview as a minority coach.

In that regard, it's actually ended up being a very smart rule. It's gotten a lot of candidates exposure at higher levels than they would have otherwise received, but they still succeed or fail on their own qualifications.

Yeah, I'll buy that, but I still hate that it's even necessary. Exposure is great. Ignorance sucks.

From Joe B:

"Kind of interesting. The Bills did not announce Beane as a GM interview. All they said was that he interviewed, and he's a "candidate." Hmm."

Could this be for a position higher than GM? VP of football ops and then get a GM. Could end up being a top tier front office.

From Joe B:

"Kind of interesting. The Bills did not announce Beane as a GM interview. All they said was that he interviewed, and he's a "candidate." Hmm."

Could this be for a position higher than GM? VP of football ops and then get a GM. Could end up being a top tier front office.

They did let a D.C. run a pretty complete offseason as HC and GM... so why not bump an AGM up to VP and have him hire a GM

I won't say eithers a flop but both are big jumps (I'd still venture it's a gm role but who knows)

Edited by NoSaint