Beane interview Thursday

A total of 3 WRs went between picks 10 and 62. Clearly the team felt strongly enough about Jones over Samuel and JuJu that they made a move.

You can get upset about giving up picks as a principle, but to do it in the name of getting players simply based on your perception of what they guy can do (I wouldn't call anyone with 4.45 speed, a sub-7.0 3-cone, and 4.0 flat in the 20s that scored 23 TDs in college as a "possession WR") is folly.

Evaluate the trade based on draft pick value? Sure. Evaluate it based on player value? Unbelievably early for that.

It's obvious that the Bills liked Jones and targeted him. But he falls within the #2 type receiver without the upside to be a #1 receiver. The issue isn't what he is as a player so much as what do you give up for this type of receiver. For the sake of argument if you give up a prospect such as Jake Butt, a TE, (rehabbing knee injury) who before being injured was a second round prospect then I would say the trade for moving up was too costly.

As far as considering the trade value points I don't give a dam. The primary issue is does the deal make your overall roster better. On this particular deal I would say no because this roster has so many needs. In addition, there still was a good chance that he would have been on the board when it was our turn to make a selection in that round. For me gratuitously giving up a relatively high round pick was not a smart move. Very often when you try to outsmart others you end up outsmarting yourself.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should have just stayed where we were and taken Mahomes right? And what is Zay Jones turns out to be our #1 in a year or two? No one really knows how to grade the drafts at the moment except on the appearance there of. From that appearance there of a vast majority of the so called experts loved the Bills draft. We got an extra 1st for 2018, addressed needs with what could even be called the BPA at each position, and still had the same amount of picks in this draft as we had originally. We drafted a QB that we were fortunate to be able to grab in the 5th who is a perfect scheme fit for the offense. Then we capped it off with a couple of athletic LB's who can at least contribute on ST. I'd say McDermott did fairly well in his first crack at it if he was the one in charge.

I don't want to spend too much time debating Zay Jones. I do think he he low upside and regardless you don't give up a 3rd round pick in a draft this loaded with talent to move up a few spots. Even if you love Zay Jones.

It's obvious that the Bills liked Jones and targeted him. But he falls within the #2 type receiver without the upside to be a #1 receiver. The issue isn't what he is as a player so much as what do you give up for this type of receiver. For the sake of argument if you give up a prospect such as Jake Butt, a TE, (rehabbing knee injury) who before being injured was a second round prospect then I would say the trade for moving up was too costly.

As far as considering the trade value points I don't give a dam. The primary issue is does the deal make your overall roster better. On this particular deal I would say no because this roster has so many needs. In addition, there still was a good chance that he would have been on the board when it was our turn to make a selection in that round. For me gratuitously giving up a relatively high round pick was not a smart move. Very often when you try to outsmart others you end up outsmarting yourself.

I know people who think Zay Jones is a #3 or #4 WR.

I don't want to spend too much time debating Zay Jones. I do think he he low upside and regardless you don't give up a 3rd round pick in a draft this loaded with talent to move up a few spots. Even if you love Zay Jones.

I know scouts that thought that Dak Prescott didn't belong on an NFL practice squad.

So you have time for opinions on what the right avatar should be for others but are too lazy to find one for yourself. Splendid.

You really think it's lazy? Maybe it's because I exclusively post from my phone and I don't believe the mobile option allows it?

I guess I'm wrong to think it's a bit weird to have a Kansas City Chief avatar on a Buffalo Bills message board.

Yes, unfortunately a lot of scouts need to retire and let new people do the work.

Either that, or scouts get it wrong on occasion. I'm 100% sure that the scouts that you know get it wrong sometimes too.

Someone, after his junior season, thought he was a H-Back.

:oops:

Someone else (this guy) said that after his senior season :oops:

Someone else (this guy) said that after his senior season :oops:

Keeping things on-topic; one of the biggest questions I'd have for any potential GM is examples of self-evaluation. Not a job where you can keep on being stubborn.

I see baseball analogies are tough for you too.

I thought he knocked it right through the goalposts, myself.

Keeping things on-topic; one of the biggest questions I'd have for any potential GM is examples of self-evaluation. Not a job where you can keep on being stubborn.

I thought he knocked it right through the goalposts, myself.

:lol:

I love that acquiring another first round pick next year qualifies as throwing away picks!

I love that it will be Bean and McDermott who got us the extra pick, not Whaley when the books are written in the anals of history.

And I know people who think he should have went 1st round.

So only old scouts are missing on their evaluations?

No, but many of the scouts still working in the NFL are trying to draft players for the wrong decade. This is especially true for the QB position.

jeffismagic is the poster child for someone who doesn't understand the difference between opinion and fact.

Maybe that is your problem. I know people on here who insist that every opinion given needs to end with, In My Opinion. Basic reading comprehension can get rid of this need in most cases.