Beane interview Thursday

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that acquiring another first round pick next year qualifies as throwing away picks!

I've already gone over this a million times. I said before the draft that if I was going to just fill needs I would trade back from ten if no elite players on board. Players available in 20's similar to players taken 10-15.

McDermott filled his CB need and acquired another pick. Which is fine if that's what you are trying to do.

But then to get a WR and RT McDermott gave away picks in a very deep draft.

The Zay Jones trade was very bad. Give away a 3rd round pick and get back a 5th to move up a few spots for a possession WR?

Edited by jeffismagic

The Zay Jones trade was very bad. Give away a 3rd round pick and get back a 5th to move up a few spots for a possession WR?

Dead wrong. The Bills' loss in this trade (via value charts) was negligible. If you like a player and it won't cost you to get him, you get him.

I've already gone over this a million times. I said before the draft that if I was going to just fill needs I would trade back from ten if no elite players on board. Players available in 20's similar to players taken 10-15.

McDermott filled his CB need and acquired another pick. Which is fine if that's what you are trying to do.

A total of 3 WRs went between picks 10 and 62. Clearly the team felt strongly enough about Jones over Samuel and JuJu that they made a move.

You can get upset about giving up picks as a principle, but to do it in the name of getting players simply based on your perception of what they guy can do (I wouldn't call anyone with 4.45 speed, a sub-7.0 3-cone, and 4.0 flat in the 20s that scored 23 TDs in college as a "possession WR") is folly.

Evaluate the trade based on draft pick value? Sure. Evaluate it based on player value? Unbelievably early for that.

A total of 3 WRs went between picks 10 and 62. Clearly the team felt strongly enough about Jones over Samuel and JuJu that they made a move.

You can get upset about giving up picks as a principle, but to do it in the name of getting players simply based on your perception of what they guy can do (I wouldn't call anyone with 4.45 speed, a sub-7.0 3-cone, and 4.0 flat in the 20s that scored 23 TDs in college as a "possession WR") is folly.

Evaluate the trade based on draft pick value? Sure. Evaluate it based on player value? Unbelievably early for that.

Samuel and JuJu are good players but their hands are not close to Zay's imo... I think that's what tipped the scales

Myself and Jeff actually see Zay in a similar light. I've been pretty clear that where he was drafted didn't match up to my grade on him but that my grades are positionally-capped. If the Bills think he can play a different role to me, I'm going to wait and see.

Maybe you can help me get one?

What NFL player who isn't a Bill should I get?

So you have time for opinions on what the right avatar should be for others but are too lazy to find one for yourself. Splendid.

Myself and Jeff actually see Zay in a similar light. I've been pretty clear that where he was drafted didn't match up to my grade on him but that my grades are positionally-capped. If the Bills think he can play a different role to me, I'm going to wait and see.

I was told his nickname should be glue because NFL defensive backs will be stuck to him.

Edited by jeffismagic

I liked the Zay Jones selection but there was a good chance that he still would have been on the board when our turn came up. He's a good player but not an elite prospect who was ever going to be a #1 receiver. The pick we gave up could have been used on for a player such as Jake Butt, a TE from Michigan. He had a knee injury but reports were that he was coming along and should be ready for training camp. Even if the time table for rehab was off he would have been a good player to invest in. He was rated as a solid second round prospect before he was hurt.

A third round pick should result in a player who makes your roster. A fifth round pick usually doesn't make the roster or at best is a special team caliber of player. For a roster that has many needs gratuitously giving up a higher pick for a lower pick is not a smart way to manage a draft.

This post is about Brandon Beane right?

Just checking.

I'm old school where the GM controls the off-season roster and makes the draft picks. I hope that Beane demands that much control.

You apparently can sit down with Pegula and talk him into anything.

only drafting mahomes would be a successful draft, duh

apparently.

we could have drafted lb and s, but we would still have holes. i would have loved to have kept gilmore, but no way woods should be given that money from this team.

Samuel and JuJu are good players but their hands are not close to Zay's imo... I think that's what tipped the scales

That and Zay's productivity was off the charts as a senior.

I definitely think he's got the possession dynamic, but I also believe that there's huge redzone upside there as well. His timed speed doesn't flash on tape, but I don't know that his offense didn't hold him back in that regard at ECU.

That and productivity...Jones was an absolute monster as a senior.

I definitely think he's got the possession dynamic, but I also believe that there's huge redzone upside there as well. His timed speed doesn't flash on tape, but I don't know that his offense didn't hold him back in that regard at ECU.

One of the things that I like to do when watching skill players is to take down a rough idea for their 40, 3-cone, 10-split etc. The difference between what I had down for Zay and how he tested was one of the widest gaps in the class.

Exactly why that is, I'm not 100% sure. Could be ECU holding him back, could just be that he unlocked potential within himself while training for speed.

We should have just stayed where we were and taken Mahomes right? And what if Zay Jones turns out to be our #1 in a year or two? No one really knows how to grade the drafts at the moment except on the appearance there of. From that appearance there of a vast majority of the so called experts loved the Bills draft. We got an extra 1st for 2018, addressed needs with what could even be called the BPA at each position, and still had the same amount of picks in this draft as we had originally. We drafted a QB that we were fortunate to be able to grab in the 5th who is a perfect scheme fit for the offense. Then we capped it off with a couple of athletic LB's who can at least contribute on ST. I'd say McDermott did fairly well in his first crack at it if he was the one in charge.

Edited by H2o