NFLPA to focus on marijuana for therapeutic reason

It really is a nice "ace in the hole" for the owners. No one looks good at the moment with it. The owners can "give" on the marijuana policy while taking back something from the players.

Absolutely no. If they do it once the NFLPA will think they are weak and look for more concessions. The way you make it work by coupling it with a safety issue NFLPA resists - penalizing repeat offenders who hurt players with cheap shots while violating rules. NFLPA appeals these fines/suspensions despite players clearly being in the wrong.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely no. If they do it once the NFLPA will think they are weak and look for more concessions. The way you make it work by coupling it with a safety issue NFLPA resists - penalizing repeat offenders who hurt players with cheap shots while violating rules. NFLPA appeals these fines/suspensions despite players clearly being in the wrong.

We are saying the same thing. The league isn't thrilled with the marijuana rules at the moment either. They will certainly bend but they aren't going to do so without something in return. Your suggestion is a good one.

You could probably just stand there and catch a buzz.

Funny story, two seasons ago had my nephew w me, he was 11 (for the record I stay 100% sober when I take the kids, not even one beer. I enjoy their company more than any buzz). Anyhow, the dank odor kept wafting over and he's like "ew! what's that smell? I smell it and then it goes away, but then it comes back!", and I'm like "don't know pal, weird right??"

Fwd to last season, he's 12. The dank wafts over again and the kid's like "you guys smell that WEED?".

What a difference a year makes.

So is jaywalking, which could actually have a victim, unlike weed.

It's legal in at least two states. Medical marijuana is legal in most states. I would hardly call it ridiculous.

Ridiculous. Its a god damn crime.

Sodomy is illegal in Georgia.

So was alcohol once.

You can use marijuana just to get a light buzz too. You and Boyst are working off some bad info.

....wonder if this therapy could extend to message boards and obvious needs...............

Better solution is a device like drivers have to ensure you cannot puff and post. Yes I know some will never post but we can accept that for public health.

Oh its going to be tremendously ugly when one of the players show high as a kite and as such arent able to perform their duties for example at one of the tackle spots snd their franchise 100million very hard to find qbs career completely over because the need to get high over takes everyone rlses wellbeing on the team...

The league should let players use CBD products for painkilling and not allow the THC products if they feel that strongly about it.

wouldnt work

1. current research shows that although CBDs are the primary cannibinoids responsible for pain relief, they work better with some THC included as well

c. some conditions specifically respond to THC and not CBDs only. Mast cell disorders and other neoplastic diseases (ie. cancer) respond to the THC molecule far more than CBDs. as with pain treatment, it is better to have some CBDs in the formulation as well

although more conditions respond specifically to CBDs more than THC, it would only be a matter of time before a player had a condition that needed the THC specifically

you're forgetting pot is addictive. And by your fallacy-ish statement all of those whom take pain pills are addictive and destroying their body

red herring. Not contextually applicable to this conversation. If you wish me to participate by responding please dignify it with a response on the subject. Thanks

It's not addictive.

Pills even taken as prescribed is addictive.

i like it...when you've been called out, you try to get funny to cover up the ignorance.

listen, i don't have a situation. i'm a 39 yr old healthy guy who doesn't have back pain. there's a ton of issues in my work that lead to back pain, so i'm conscious of it. that's it. when someone make the comment like back pain in only psychosomatic, it's obvious you're not educated on the subject in any way, and probably should just avoid making sweeping statements so you don't look simple.

the rest of what you wrote is complete nonsense to cover up that you were just put in your place. for a 50 yr old guy who's ready to retire, you sure haven't become any wiser. sit back and learn a thing or two.

Your first sentence is the most true statement in this thread.

Oh its going to be tremendously ugly when one of the players show high as a kite and as such arent able to perform their duties for example at one of the tackle spots snd their franchise 100million very hard to find qbs career completely over because the need to get high over takes everyone rlses wellbeing on the team...

I think you were high when typing this. I had to get high to understand it

So weed becomes legal, players will play high.

What is stopping players from getting drunk before games since alcohol is legal?

I had to read it multiple times to interpret it.

The argument that making it legal means people will just be high all the time is a terrible argument.

What is stopping players from getting drunk before games since alcohol is legal?

The argument that making it legal means people will just be high all the time is a terrible argument.

I use your same argument regarding alcohol. If you are against legalizing marijuana, you should also be against alcohol and tobacco.

Nope just pointing out that players have responsibilities and much like any drug itvwill affect their abilities to perform their duties. As such some of the players duties arevto protect the qb, I wouldnt want my 100 mill franchise qb protected by a high as a kite lt whfn facing k mack. Its likely a recipe for disaster. If that is too difficult for you to comprehend you probably shouldnt be in a message board.

Nothing is stopping them from getting drunk. Hopefully if one of them gets a teams franchise qb wrecked their held responsible in court.

Nope just pointing out that players have responsibilities and much like any drug itvwill affect their abilities to perform their duties. As such some of the players duties arevto protect the qb, I wouldnt want my 100 mill franchise qb protected by a high as a kite lt whfn facing k mack. Its likely a recipe for disaster. If that is too difficult for you to comprehend you probably shouldnt be in a message board.

LOL.

I guess since alcohol is legal, we better hope blindside tackle isn't drunk or high on pills when protecting the QB.

Nothing is stopping them from getting drunk. Hopefully if one of them gets a teams franchise qb wrecked their held responsible in court.

F*&%k off. Go back where you came from. You add nothing to this board

So nothing is stopping them from getting drunk and players aren't playing drunk, why are you seeing an issue with players playing high?

LOL.

I guess since alcohol is legal, we better hope blindside tackle isn't drunk or high on pills when protecting the QB.

You can laugh if you want to. There are quite a few players that have let MILLIONS walk right past them because of their inability to pass a urine test.

I dont want that guy protecting my franchise qb.

You may continue to laugh if you still think its funny.

F*&%k off. Go back where you came from. You add nothing to this board

You have a serious problem. If you couldnt understand about 50 words, then you really do need comprehension skill. Its likely you didnt like my position, sidnt have a valid retort, and tried to make a funny. Well that failed for you. Edited by Bill_with_it

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/presents18969358/tinderization-today-nba

Just like in Football and Baseball there was a time when beer was kept in the clubhouse and consumed at half time in Basketball also. Hockey has the most lenient drug policy towards Marijuana and is doing quite well. This belief that players are going to show up baked is over the top. This isn't going to turn into "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", where Marcel and Karlos are out in the van in the parking lot before games smoking big blunts.

All this sanctimonious rhetoric is astounding when you maybe stop to consider the behavior of heroes past, namely Kelly and company. How many hangovers did Jim and Bruce play through? Hold up your hands please if you believe Hollywood Henderson or Michael Irvin were the only ones doing blow.

The most outrageous on many levels though is the Pirate pitcher who threw a no-hitter while tripping on acid. The 60 Minutes piece is incredible. He was tripping his (fill in the blank) off and tossed a perfect game!

Just a little food for thought.....

So nothing is stopping them from getting drunk and players aren't playing drunk, why are you seeing an issue with players playing high?

I guess you need to see a franchise qb getting destroyed before you see the issue. Its highly likely owners wont need to see their qbs getting wrecked, to see the issue, and vote against it.

You can laugh if you want to. There are quite a few players that have let MILLIONS walk right past them because of their inability to pass a urine test.

I dont want that guy protecting my franchise qb.

You may continue to laugh if you still think its funny.

Tou have a serious problem. If you couldnt understand about 50 words, then you really do need comprehension skill. Its likely you didnt like my position, sidnt have a valid retort, and tried to make a funny. Well that failed for you.

LOL...really? You're the one with the comprehension problems in this. You can't even answer my question.

Again...why is it a concern for a player playing high of weed becomes legal when there isn't a concern with players playing drunk because alcohol is legal? Or playing high on pills because that's legal?

Can you answer that question or it is too hard to comprehend for you?

You have a serious problem. If you couldnt understand about 50 words, then you really do need comprehension skill. Its likely you didnt like my position, sidnt have a valid retort, and tried to make a funny. Well that failed for you.

My problem is replying to your posts. That stops now.

I guess you need to see a franchise qb getting destroyed before you see the issue. Its highly likely owners wont need to see their qbs getting wrecked, to see the issue, and vote against it.

Would it matter if their QB is wrecked because the tackle was high on pills or drunk and missed his block?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/presents18969358/tinderization-today-nba

Just like in Football and Baseball there was a time when beer was kept in the clubhouse and consumed at half time in Basketball also. Hockey has the most lenient drug policy towards Marijuana and is doing quite well. This belief that players are going to show up baked is over the top. This isn't going to turn into "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", where Marcel and Karlos are out in the van in the parking lot before games smoking big blunts.

All this sanctimonious rhetoric is astounding when you maybe stop to consider the behavior of heroes past, namely Kelly and company. How many hangovers did Jim and Bruce play through? Hold up your hands please if you believe Hollywood Henderson or Michael Irvin were the only ones doing blow.

The most outrageous on many levels though is the Pirate pitcher who threw a no-hitter while tripping on acid. The 60 Minutes piece is incredible. He was tripping his (fill in the blank) off and tossed a perfect game!

Just a little food for thought.....

I used to kill at Space Invaders back in the day. You can get in the zone.

Would it matter if their QB is wrecked because the tackle was high on pills or drunk and missed his block?

I misread that for a second. I thought the wrecked QB was Johnny Football.

my bad

Can you show me where I condone the abuse of alcohol? I never once brought it up because, a) I feel the same way, b) this thread is about marijuana, c) alcohol is currently legal, d) nflpa isnt gearing up for a alcohol therapuetic reason.

I really could careless if its chewing on the bark of a tree. If it willingly unnecessarily puts another teamate in harms way it shouldnt be allowed.

Can you show me where I condone the abuse of alcohol? I never once brought it up because, a) I feel the same way, b) this thread is about marijuana, c) alcohol is currently legal, d) nflpa isnt gearing up for a alcohol therapuetic reason.

I really could careless if its chewing on the bark of a tree. If it willingly unnecessarily puts another teamate in harms way it shouldnt be allowed.

I think that his point is why should we expect a player to show up stoned but not drunk? The answer is neither is going to happen.

LOL.

You can take alcohol and painkillers without getting wasted.... probably 99% of use of those substances is without the 100% intent of getting high...

Not so for pot, that is 100% requiring you get high.

You can take alcohol and painkillers without getting wasted.... probably 99% of use of those substances is without the 100% intent of getting high...

So 1% of people using alcohol or painkillers are trying to get wasted? That seems low but haven't seen the research.

Dude...I never said you condone alcohol abuse. Never even alluded to it.

I a pretty floored this is so difficult for you.

You seem to have the stance that players are disciplined enough from getting drunk and high on pills during games but won't be for weed. Which is why you keep bringing up your hypothetical scenario about the QB getting "wrecked" because the tackle is high.

So again, if the concern is that if weed is permitted, players will be playing high...why is there not a concern that players will be getting drunk or high on pills? Both of those are allowed in the NFL.

Oh so you don't care if it's tree bark if it puts a teammate in harms way...it shouldn't be allowed? So then you feel pills and alcohol shouldn't be allowed.

You've got incredible double standards.

Vicodin and other pain killers give you a high. Doesn't matter what the intent is, it's still gets you high. It's a highly addictive opiate.

they should allow it but pretending it isn't addictive is crazy. Gordon and Blackmon have lost millions

There is a difference between physically addictive and physiologically addictive. Biting your nails is physiologically addictive, herion and all the sweet, sweet opiates you r good doctor gives you are physically addictive. That's why you never hear of a pot head having to go through detox.

bone spurs? Isn't that the bass player in that bluesband from the 60's?

Don't assume you know my situation. And I don't care to know yours. The bottom line isn't that it is a pain killer, its not. Its symptom relief. Like a lot of things.

I have a craving for arbys. Maybe I'm high. You know what else is high? Gas. In my day is fine up for $5. Of course, as a soon to retire 50something year old I just can't be in touch with what these hippies want.

You come off as a grade A douche bag.

Dude...I never said you condone alcohol abuse. Never even alluded to it.

I a pretty floored this is so difficult for you.

You seem to have the stance that players are disciplined enough from getting drunk and high on pills during games but won't be for weed. Which is why you keep bringing up your hypothetical scenario about the QB getting "wrecked" because the tackle is high.

So again, if the concern is that if weed is permitted, players will be playing high...why is there not a concern that players will be getting drunk or high on pills? Both of those are allowed in the NFL.

Oh so you don't care if it's tree bark if it puts a teammate in harms way...it shouldn't be allowed? So then you feel pills and alcohol shouldn't be allowed.

You've got incredible double standards.

Vicodin and other pain killers give you a high. Doesn't matter what the intent is, it's still gets you high. It's a highly addictive opiate.

Please tell me how that my stance is players are disciplined enough to refrain from pills and alcohol. I have not and will not condone it. Stop putting words in my mouth and reqd what I posted. You can have that argument with someone else who is actually saying that players are more disciplined from alcohol and pill ise.

What i have said and will continue to say, is that in a violent sport where very large men run at speeds upwards of 20 mph with minimal protection there is no need to expose them to unnecessary physical damage in way of self medicated in any form to include marijuana.

Further, as such imagine your 100 mil qb getting exposed to this and it being proved that it was through fault of another player using marijuana or any substance for that matter.

Please if you want to have a conversation stick to what I have said and to what you want me to say. I havent and will not condone the use of those other substances for uses other than intended.