GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how all those reports that were decried as "made up", are all true.

People love to hate Sullivan, but once again him and Gleason were 100% right.

But the same radio people will blindly start trumpeting the Bills horn and the same fans will write rosey pictures about how the Bills are doing everything right.

Don't worry McDermott will have another cliche to spit out to make everyone feel better.

The owners, some fans and some media may love McDermott, but I'm not buying it all. He sounds just like Dick Jauron and Doug Marrone when he talks.

...where is the new PR/Image Guy hiding???...................

Hard to upstage the theatrics of the Ryans, nothing would have looked flashy.

But a failure to show any attempt to say "I'm in charge" or any leadership at all (even in a small quiet way) wasn't good...

He was terrible. Another gift from Nix that set the franchise back years. When Whaley was hired everyone in NFL circles used the same line, "he's respected around the league." In the end that was code speak for we know nothing about him but made it look like they had insight when in actuality they had none.

C'Mon...really? You have no clue

He was groomed. And was a patsy. He was a decent GM.

McDermott will be fired some day. Mark my words that eventually he will be fired.

Look how easy it is to be "right"?

The problem with the gentleman at the paper are that they simply say take a 50/50 and then ignore all the times they are wrong and trumpet when they are right. Always calling tails on a coin flip isn't analysis, it's just always calling tails.

Funny how all those reports that were decried as "made up", are all true.

But the same radio people will blindly start trumpeting the Bills horn and the same fans will write rosey pictures about how the Bills are doing everything right.

Don't worry McDermott will have another cliche to spit out to make everyone feel better.

The owners, some fans and some media may love McDermott, but I'm not buying it all. He sounds just like Dick Jauron and Doug Marrone when he talks.

Not much anyone can do other than not buy tickets next season, if you're not buying in don't buy tickets/merchandise or watch on TV, it's the only way to really voice your frustration, otherwise getting fired up about something totally out of our control seems pointless.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

Whaley deserved to be fired. He was judged on his record. He put the Bills in a salary cap jam and failed to deliver the goods. He hired the disastrous Rex Ryan, he was front and center in drafting EJ Manuel, he traded two first round picks for Sammy Watkins, he signed Charles Clay to a ridiculous contract, etc.

There are so many examples to illustrate his failures. Why would anyone be sad he is gone. He produced absolutely ZILCH!

Hopefully, the next GM will build a winner. The Bills will be paying for Whaley's blunders for a couple years, but it was clearly time to move on.

I'm not sold on McDermott at all, but I'll give him a chance to prove something. I would think the Bills will be about 6-10 or 7-9 next year at this point.

Not much anyone can do other than not buy tickets next season, if you're not buying in don't buy tickets/merchandise or watch on TV, it's the only way to really voice your frustration, otherwise getting fired up about something totally out of our control seems pointless.

Yup, it's sports, something to do in my leisure time to regroup away from the rat race all week.

People, if it's making life miserable, stop watching. And no it won't go away....

Hard to upstage the theatrics of the Ryans, nothing would have looked flashy.

But a failure to show any attempt to say "I'm in charge" or any leadership at all (even in a small quiet way) wasn't good...

...hindsight is a beautiful thing.....I still think the Pegula's thought their purchase of the Bills would be a smooth transition (Sabres purchase was relatively smooth)...the Marrone exodus was an organizational upheaval not anticipated...even Brandon and Whaley, both under contract, did not know their standing.....original plan was for Kim to do a "top to bottom" review of all departments and personnel which had to be scrapped.....no HC AND firing Brandon/Whaley just created more major holes....I do know Brandon was a MAJOR proponent of Rex (the ticket master) and Pegula took the bait....he knows better now... substance versus (alleged) style wins every day.., relegating Brandon to administrative/marketing duties only was smart....so Terry and Kim are entitled to a learning curve, as painful as it may be for them as well as a woefully "17 years and counting" fan base.....but these are proud folks who have no problem in admitting their mistakes and working towards getting it right despite the cost of their mistakes IMO......

We will likely never know all the details. But I don't understand how you fire a guy when Russ picked Marrone and Pegs picked Rex. You can blame Whaley for EJ and for the Watkins trade but the two people/decisions who most set the franchise back 5 year were not his doing.

The roster is better. Even an average defense makes the playoffs last year.

I'm fine with the move but from the outside it makes the ownership look dysfunctional.

I do not believe a first time HC should have all the say in personnel. Philadelphia just tried that and it was a disaster. Reid has been good but never great at roster development and of course Bellichick has Brady to bail him out of all decisions.

Honestly why is Watkins a fiasco? Fiasco is Watkins was a bum and never did anything. He's an elite talent. He's shown that. His crime is getting injured. So Whaley overpaid for an elite talent who gets injured. OMG tar and feathers are too good for him! We'll see if your opinion changes when Watkins has a pro bowl year or goes to the Pats after we cut him.

"Elite Talent" as you put it doesn't win football games... "Elite Production" does... You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't produce/win games what does it matter? IMHO you only cough up multiple high (#1) draft picks for a "Franchise QB"... No other position merits it... And when it is said prior to the draft that it is expected to be a deep draft for WR's, the decision to invest a second #1 pick to get arguably the same kind of production from another player seems puzzling to say the least, if not worse... As I remember it at the time, it was categorized by many as being a "desperate move" at the time it was announced... It was also rumored to have caused considerable friction with HC Doug Marrone who allegedly was not in favor of the move either... BTW I am not in favor of "cutting" Watkins and no one else that I am aware of has even suggested that either so why do you bring that up?? If you are referring to the Bills not picking up his 5th year option that seems like a prudent business decision since if he turns his career around, he will no doubt be rewarded with a very rich contract offer from the Bills and if he gets injured again and misses many games a much tougher decision will need to be made but at least there will be more of a sample upon which to make that decison...

...hindsight is a beautiful thing.....I still think the Pegula's thought their purchase of the Bills would be a smooth transition (Sabres purchase was relatively smooth)...the Marrone exodus was an organizational upheaval not anticipated...even Brandon and Whaley, both under contract, did not know their standing.....original plan was for Kim to do a "top to bottom" review of all departments and personnel which had to be scrapped.....no HC AND firing Brandon/Whaley just created more major holes....I do know Brandon was a MAJOR proponent of Rex (the ticket master) and Pegula took the bait....he knows better now... substance versus (alleged) style wins every day.., relegating Brandon to administrative/marketing duties only was smart....so Terry and Kim are entitled to a learning curve, as painful as it may be for them as well as a woefully "17 years and counting" fan base.....but these are proud folks who have no problem in admitting their mistakes and working towards getting it right despite the cost of their mistakes IMO......

no hindsight on stating that was a pathetic stall-out and pathetic presser by the "GM" on the firing of Rex

it was and was and will eternally be that way

i have no probs with the Pegula's, they are going to have to learn....

Misery really loves company, love that saying.

there is some kind of noble inertia in continuing with sad teams that we love...

"Blown picks of EJ Manuel and over-paying to trade up for oft-injured Sammy Watkinsand botching the contract with Tyrod Taylor and throwing ridiculous money at mercurial Marcell Dareus kept the front office in a perilous plight, and the longer McDermott had to contemplate this roster and assess the contractual mishaps and salary-cap issues, the clearer it became he wouldn't be working with Whaley for long.

"Losing top corner Stephon Gilmore in free agency, to the hated Patriots, no less, did not set well with the new head coach, but he inherited too many other bad contracts to truly compete. The Taylor affair was unnecessarily difficult, given the bizarre structure agreed to a year ago (before the new coach arrived) and the heavy-handed tactics the front office took with Taylor late last season. Then, for the second year in a row, the Bills put too low a free-agent tender on an emerging skill player, and for the second straight year the Pats plucked him away, with Mike Gillislee joining Chris Hogan as part of the New England dynasty. Time was getting short for Whaley."....NFL CBS

I think there's a lot of truth to this list. I don't think it was FredEx or EJ that got Whaley canned, contrary to many opinions. It's having us serve as the Patriots Farm Team with precious little we can do about it.

What I found interesting in Pegula's presser was that he seemed to be defending Overdorf albeit weakly....but said it would be the new GM's decision. I thought Overdorf, listed as "Sr VP of Football Administration", reported to Brandon through Lamattina. So I wonder if a re-structuring is in the works? That would, IMO, be a step in the right direction. The lines of responsibility have been blurred for too long....if there's a bad contract, is it on the GM? The Coach? the Brandon guys like Overdorf/Lamattina? Who knew?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I will say one thing for Terry Pegula: he does have a learning curve.

At least this time he scheduled a press conference and took questions saying it was his decision to fire Doug instead of sending Coach McWrestler out by himself to face the press and say it wasn't his decision to fire Doug.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/30/said-transcript-terry-pegulas-comments-firing-bills-gm-doug-whaley/

Wish Terry wasn't so evasive about why he fired Whaley and who makes the final call on players. Yeah it's group effort but someone's has to decide who the player will be.