RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

So you mean TT is inaccurate on some of basic important, but normal throws a successful NFL QB needs to make to win games. Then we agree. Limiting our passing game to half the field and a handful of routes is why we are the 190 yard passing yards per game dynamo we are. I am just not going to celebrate accuracy ratings based on short sideline passes.

Correct - accuracy can be looked at a couple of ways and if one set of people want to argue that he has a high completion percentage and is therefore accurate - they are not wrong, but I think they are missing a big part of the picture.

If someone else want to argue that he is inaccurate because of his struggles to hit a variety of throws - they are also correct, but again only seeing some of the picture.

I do not disagree with you at all - I just can also see there are arguments to be made that it is hard to fault his accuracy and the throws he chose to make the majority of the time - whether via his decision or coaches play design.

We will learn more as we see how this off season progresses and whether TT can keep the job or if and when he gets replaced.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...

People are apparently going nuts because we just drafted a QB.

With those odds you must be willing to put some money on Taylor being benched at some point, right?

95%...?

Wanna bet?

If those are really your odds I would think you'd want to...

Next three years? Yup, you'll get some intelligent takers. Maybe even two years.

And we aren't excited by drafting a QB. We're excited by drafting Nathan Peterman. He's an anticipatory thrower, a guy who uses the whole field and has an NFL brain. Does that mean he'll be a franchise QB? Nobody knows, same as all the other draftees. But it's exciting to see and smart this late in the draft.

Edited by Thurman#1

I hope this guy becomes great and I am wrong. Some (few) do increase their arm strength over a couple years. The real problem to me is that he is going to look great in camp and in preseason because of all the great qualities he does possess, which cannot be underestimated.

So fans are going to ge the big tease, kind of The Trent Edwards Syndrome. It is only in the real game when you see the guy cannot play in the NFL at a top quality level. Edwards had enough arm, he just couldn't deal with pressure. Peterman has a different problem but it is only in the real games when the arm thing gets exposed because the game is played at a different higher speed. And the pass that is completed in camp and preseason is knocked down or is intercepted in real games.

He has enough arm.

He just doesn't have an above average arm. But he can make all the throws. Montana didn't have much of an arm either.

Not that I know if Peterman will make it. But if his only problem turns out to be his arm strength, he will.

Edited by Thurman#1

He has enough arm.

He just doesn't have an above average arm. But he can make all the throws. Montana didn't have much of an arm either.

Not that I know if Peterman will make it. But if his only problem turns out to be his arm strength, he will.

Montana is the last QB with a below average arm to be good in this league and it's been 25 years, and the DBs are way quicker and faster now than then. It's very possible Montana now would not be nearly as good as he was then. People will say Pennington but Pennington never won anything because he lacked the arm. He had everything else and he still couldn't do it.

If someone could post a video with throws that show Peterman has a strong enough arm, to "make all the throws," then I would like to see it. I have not seen a lot of him, but have seen him. Everyone says the knock on him is he doesn't have the arm. I'm still shocked that NFL personnel guys still believe players like Colt McCoy and Kellen Moore can play in this league. They can't. I don't see much more of an arm than those guys. Maybe he has a better one than that. If he doesn't he cannot succeed.

Montana is the last QB with a below average arm to be good in this league and it's been 25 years, and the DBs are way quicker and faster now than then. It's very possible Montana now would not be nearly as good as he was then. People will say Pennington but Pennington never won anything because he lacked the arm. He had everything else and he still couldn't do it.

If someone could post a video with throws that show Peterman has a strong enough arm, to "make all the throws," then I would like to see it. I have not seen a lot of him, but have seen him. Everyone says the knock on him is he doesn't have the arm. I'm still shocked that NFL personnel guys still believe players like Colt McCoy and Kellen Moore can play in this league. They can't. I don't see much more of an arm than those guys. Maybe he has a better one than that. If he doesn't he cannot succeed.

Per others in some other thread, don't remember which one, combine mph of peterman was 53 mph, deshaun jackson was 49 mph and Tyrod taylor was said to be at 50 mph.

Doesn't mean success but it also doesn't mean failure.

temp1kdfkjfds--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?wi

Let him wear #4!!! -What, will Tyler whatshisface get mad???

I hope this guy becomes great and I am wrong. Some (few) do increase their arm strength over a couple years. The real problem to me is that he is going to look great in camp and in preseason because of all the great qualities he does possess, which cannot be underestimated.

So fans are going to ge the big tease, kind of The Trent Edwards Syndrome. It is only in the real game when you see the guy cannot play in the NFL at a top quality level. Edwards had enough arm, he just couldn't deal with pressure. Peterman has a different problem but it is only in the real games when the arm thing gets exposed because the game is played at a different higher speed. And the pass that is completed in camp and preseason is knocked down or is intercepted in real games.

Consider this Kid lost his first gig to Josh Dobbs, and had to transfer schools... Still, Peterman doesn't appear snake-bit in the least... That lack of fear carries a lot of weight with me... We need a QB capable of rising to big occasions.

Edited by #34fan

Didnt Brees have arm strength issues coming out of Purdue? Then he got hurt in SD and after his shoulder healed his velocity improved. I think that's right.

There is an enormous difference in "not having a strong arm" which was Brees, and having an average arm, which seems to be Peterman right now. It seems like a semantic difference but it's really not. Guys like Brees obviously can succeed. Guys with weak or average arms cannot. There is some arguments over whether Peterman has just enough or just short of being enough. I am on the latter side, which is the only reason I'm not all over him. I think if he had the arm that Brees had coming out of college he would have been a number one pick. The reason people are saying career backup is because he has a weak or average arm.

Like this pick alot. Many said hed be gone in the 3rd. Mechanical issues that can be fixed hopefully with good coaching. If anyone in this forum can comment on that from a technical standpoint and you know what your talking about it would be appreciated. Can this guy be developed into a good starter. What needs to be fixed, etc.

Let him wear #4!!! -What, will Tyler whatshisface get mad???

Consider this Kid lost his first gig to Josh Dobbs, and had to transfer schools... Still, Peterman doesn't appear snake-bit in the least... That lack of fear carries a lot of weight with me... We need a QB capable of rising to big occasions.

Tyrod whathisface

Even I had to laugh at that....:)

Way back in January I was intrigued by Peterman. During the Senior Bowl week and game he impressed. Most pundits said he was the only "NFL ready, behind center" guy. Threw early with anticipation. Threw open receivers, unlike TT. Very accurate. Kiper had him ranked better than Kizer, Webb, Dobbs and Kaaya. Who knows how he'll pan out but I'll guarantee you he beats out C Jones.

Actually, I'm liking this pick more and more - check out his ratings when under pressure:

Nathan-Peterman.jpg

• He boosted his completion percentage by 9.8 percent on play action passes, the eighth-largest improvement in the class.
  • Passing in 2.5 seconds or less: 69.9 percent completion, 18 TD, 3 INT, 124.6 QB rating.

Passing in 2.5 seconds or less: 69.9 percent completion, 18 TD, 3 INT, 124.6 QB rating

You mean a 5th rounder taking the job from a guy drafted in the 6th round? You mean from a guy who is a better QUARTERBACK coming out than Taylor? Yeah, very possible

Look... anything is possible, but that incredible gleam in everyone's eyes is about a 5th round pick vs a QB with 30 NFL starts playing at a clearly NFL starter level. Amazing how much that fact is overlooked...

He's I. Sirius. Said he enjoyed his visit. Likes Whaley. Both Pitt guys. Thankful.

Excited for minicamp. Wasn't concerned he was not picked early. He isn't scared of competition. Ross Tucker told he has a chance to start

Not surprised to hear that, he can release the ball on time and execute the play the way it's called. Not a guy that will hold and scramble all day. Coaches like QBs who can run their plays.