RD 2, Pick 37: Zay Jones (WR) - ECU

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not melting down, but there would have been WRs there at 44. No need to trade up. Don't hate the player though.

Yes, looking at NFL.com's player grades, there were a lot of receivers with about the same grade when Day 2 started with only a few each of LBs and safeties with similar grades. Being they were so enamored with Zay Jones, I hope he turns into a star and not Robert Woods 2.0.

Juju Smith-Shuster, ArDarius Stewart and Cooper Kupp had similar grades to Zay and they went 62nd, 79th and 69th, respectively.

Yes, looking at NFL.com's player grades, there were a lot of receivers with about the same grade when Day 2 started with only a few each of LBs and safeties with similar grades. Being they were so enamored with Zay Jones, I hope he turns into a star and not Robert Woods 2.0.

Juju Smith-Shuster, ArDarius Stewart and Cooper Kupp had similar grades to Zay and they went 62nd, 79th and 69th, respectively.

I'll let you in on a little secret... NFL.com's grades mean nothing.

James Hardy clone.

I'm trying to think of even one comparison between the two players except that they are black and wide receivers. I do have to admit, however, that I don't know if Zay ever pulled a gun on his own father like James did, although after seeing Zay sitting next to his dad while watching the draft I would imagine perhaps no.

Must be the most boneheaded post I've seen since joining here.

Hands down.

Oh stick around sir, it'll be topped sooner or later. Although this one will be hard to beat.

I'm trying to think of even one comparison between the two players except that they are black and wide receivers. I do have to admit, however, that I don't know if Zay ever pulled a gun on his own father like James did, although after seeing Zay sitting next to his dad while watching the draft I would imagine perhaps no.

Perhaps he was going on the fact they were both second rounders? Lol i don't know know either I'm grasping at straws here since the poster convienently disappeared.

Oh stick around sir, it'll be topped sooner or later. Although this one will be hard to beat.

Perhaps he was going on the fact they were both second rounders? Lol i don't know know either I'm grasping at straws here since the poster convienently disappeared.

I guess. But then Josh Reed or Woods would have been a lot closer. ;)

Like the pick.

Not at all sure I like the trade.

We're now left with nobody till the fifth, no thirds and no fourths.

I like the guys we got, but they're the only guys this draft who're likely to do much for this team, though occasionally late-round guys surprise. And we've got a lot of needs.

I'll let you in on a little secret... NFL.com's grades mean nothing.

True in the sense that once the guy is drafted no grades mean anything. So they don't mean more than anybody's, yours or mine for instance. But they have more inside info than we do and are likely better guesses, especially if untainted by love for the team.

Edited by Thurman#1

I know, could we really get 3 starters in a draft, that is so unBills-like :w00t:

Looks like we'll have 3 from last year as well. Shaq, Ragland and Seymour. Washington will play a huge role as well and potentially J Williams. Plus Listenbee is a complete question mark.

So this is shaping up to be the 2nd straight draft where we land multiple starters..

Slo

better than Hogan? Dear lord I hope so...

Considering that Hogan was a pretty decent player, yeah, if he could be even a little bit better than Hogan then I'd be pleased. Anything more than that would be pure gravy.

In defense of Jeff he did give a list of players he liked and reasons why. He is really taking it on the chin with the Mahomes thing the past two days. It was over the top leading up to the draft, I agree but does everything have to revert back to that?

Seems like he knows his stuff, plenty of folks who don't and are just bashing for the sake of it.

Or maybe bashing his philosophy because he only ever complains and throws out undeserved insults to folks who disagree with his assessment? ?

Or maybe bashing his philosophy because he only ever complains and throws out undeserved insults to folks who disagree with his assessment? ?

I said Tre White best cover corner skills in draft before we picked him.

I said Dion Dawkins was my favorite pick so far by the Bills and a great value where we took him.

I didn't like Zay Jones or the trade up for him and said I was "underwhelmed".

Sounds to me like "complains all the time" translates to doesn't cheer loud enough and strong enough for every Bills move and strategy.

James Hardy clone.

I don't know which comparison is worse, this or the TJ Graham one up thread.

I'm am not sure Zay is going to be a great pro and I've seen every game he's ever played in. He is most certainly though nothing like James Hardy.

You clearly don't think Zay is worth the move up, but nobody will know for a long time until the games are played. But for me, I think this kid and Corey Davis will be the only two elite receivers to come from this draft.

He is perfectly built for the job, tall but strong, durable, serious blocker, great hands, good character. Got a big catch radius and can get separation.

Love this pick.

One of the key factors in Jones being on the Bills’ radar was the fact that his receivers coach in 2016 at East Carolina, Phil McGeoghan, is now coaching receivers for McDermott in Buffalo.

“I wouldn’t say it was exactly why it went in this direction, but it certainly helps,” said McDermott. “You want to know these players. If I said having his ex-coach in the building didn’t help, I’d be lying to you.”

Jones said he spoke with McGeoghan in Indianapolis, and they expressed hope that they’d be able to work together again. “He said if he had the opportunity to coach me again he’d love it, and I told him if I could play for him again I’d love it,” said Jones. “He’s a great mentor, like a father figure the way he teaches, the way he commands a room. I have a lot of respect for him.”

"Jones broke the FBS single-season receptions record (158) as a senior, dropping just 6-of-164 catchable targets. While Jones lived on bubble screens and quick hitters and averaged only 10.7 yards per catch, he showed elite athleticism with a 94th-percentile SPARQ score and 4.45 speed at the Combine. Albeit not quite as big, Jones profiles similarly to Eagles WR Jordan Matthews as a slot-Z chain mover with more reliable hands."

6 drops out of 164 targets. Wow talk about hands.

This is a favorable comparison. Matthews has been the best receiver the Eagles have had the past two seasons. He does sound like more of a slot guy, but since we are going to a WCO with a lot of rollouts, he should fit very well.

I said Tre White best cover corner skills in draft before we picked him.

I said Dion Dawkins was my favorite pick so far by the Bills and a great value where we took him.

I didn't like Zay Jones or the trade up for him and said I was "underwhelmed".

Sounds to me like "complains all the time" translates to doesn't cheer loud enough and strong enough for every Bills move and strategy.

No, you're just on the QB thing but that's understandable, though