RD 2, Pick 37: Zay Jones (WR) - ECU

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to get out ahead of the game and call him a bust.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid you're NOT ahead of the curve. You are playing catch up. Someone always hates ahead of you. It's hard to be first.

Sal Capaccio

@SalSports

NFL Network's @CharleyCasserly just said on @WGR550 he believes Zay Jones is an upgrade over Robert Woods. #Bills

I really don't feel like Woods was give enough credit. The guy saw how many different starting QBs in his time here?

Injuries played a part, but the kid was fired up every game and played with his heart on his sleeve. Def got over paid in FA, but who doesn't?

Woods was a fantastic blocker, might not be the WR Jones CAN POTENTIALLY BE, but was a very good asset to have on offense.

@buffalobills

We like what Nate Burleson had to say about our guy @ZayJones7 on @nflnetwork.

THE NEXT LEVEL: ZAY JONES (1:09)

NFL Network's Cynthia Frelund breaks down her prediction for wide receiver Zay Jones' production in his rookie season.

@JohnMurphyShow

.@cfrelund on Zay Jones "A great projection...65 receptions 950 yards and 5 TDs"

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Like this kid. Just watched some highlights. He isn't afraid to get dirty. Fights hard for extra yards. Good hands.

One of my favorite characteristics in a player. Glad Jones does it because I haven't seen Watkins do it nearly as often as he should, and I like Watkins overall.

I really don't feel like Woods was give enough credit. The guy saw how many different starting QBs in his time here?

Injuries played a part, but the kid was fired up every game and played with his heart on his sleeve. Def got over paid in FA, but who doesn't?

Woods was a fantastic blocker, might not be the WR Jones CAN POTENTIALLY BE, but was a very good asset to have on offense.

He WOOD have been a great #3 and at 8m a year he has a lot to prove.

Remember when Peerless Price left for $$$$$ Greener Pastures?

I just don't think Jones is tough or durable on the NFL Level... Gilroy would've been the better pick IMO...

Played in 49 college games. Had more catches than anyone, ever. Not durable...got it, well played.

His offensive production would disagree.....has he had injury issues in the past?

It's much more than that John... I'm not saying Zay will be a bad NFL player... What I am saying is that I would not have drafted him @ 37... There's things about the kid I just don't equate with success at WR..

For starters his body Type... OK for lower-tier NCAA conferences, but narrow hips, spindly legs/ankles, and short space between the shoulders do nothing for me... This kid is going to be taking some BIG HITS from NFL Calibre safeties, and LB's.... Especially if he's in the slot!.

Secondly, his lack of breakaway speed... NFL defenders are going to draped on this kid like nothing he's ever seen... I never saw consistent separation from defenders from Zay... He was able to exploit bad coverage, or out-jump weaker defenders, but again, this advantage disappears in the NFL... I see very few easy catches for this kid.... He'll be going to the ground a lot.

Next, is his primitive route-running skills... If a kid doesn't have size, power, or breakaway speed, I would have expected at least advanced route-running ability... He doesn't have that... He can exploit soft coverage, but his slow game speed will lead to his routes getting jumped..

Finally, I don't think he's capable of NFL-type physicality at the LOS... He'll take forever to shed Jams from violent corners... Yet another liability at the next level....

Like I said, I'm not saying he'll be terrible, but an early second rounder? -I didn't see it..

Edited by #34fan

It's much more than that John... I'm not saying Zay will be a bad NFL player... What I am saying is that I would not have drafted him @ 37... There's things about the kid I just don't equate with success at WR..

For starters his body Type... OK for lower-tier NCAA conferences, but narrow hips, spindly legs/ankles, and short space between the shoulders do nothing for me... This kid is going to be taking some BIG HITS from NFL Calibre safeties, and LB's.... Especially if he's in the slot!.

Secondly, his lack of breakaway speed... NFL defenders are going to draped on this kid like nothing he's ever seen... I never saw consistent separation from defenders from Zay... He was able to exploit bad coverage, or out-jump weaker defenders, but again, this advantage disappears in the NFL... I see very few easy catches for this kid.... He'll be going to the ground a lot.

Next, is his primitive route-running skills... If a kid doesn't have size, power, or breakaway speed. I would have expected at least advanced route-running ability... He doesn't have that... He can exploit soft coverage, but his slow game speed will lead to his routes getting jumped..

Finally, I don't think he's capable of NFL-type physicality at the LOS... He'll take forever to shed Jams from violent corners... Yet another liability at the next level....

Like I said, I'm not saying he'll be terrible, but an early second rounder? -I didn't see it..

When someone gives their reasoning behind their beliefs I tend to spend much more time looking at it......you deserve that when you post this.

I am one of those "if you can play you can play"......the kid was a flat out production machine in college.

It means much more to me when a player can be "open when covered" which I believe Zay falls into......I feel like he is player that will gain the trust of his qb pretty quickly because of that.

He isnt a small player by any means....would totally take him over a John Ross type.

When someone gives their reasoning behind their beliefs I tend to spend much more time looking at it......you deserve that when you post this.

I am one of those "if you can play you can play"......the kid was a flat out production machine in college.

It means much more to me when a player can be "open when covered" which I believe Zay falls into......I feel like he is player that will gain the trust of his qb pretty quickly because of that.

He isnt a small player by any means....would totally take him over a John Ross type.

He may have been "open when covered" at ECU, but I doubt that'll be the case in BUF.... All the things I observed lead to MUCH tighter windows for QB's to throw into... There just won't be a lot of cushion between him and the defender...

Maybe that'll work for whoever gets the start at QB...

He may have been "open when covered" at ECU, but I doubt that'll be the case in BUF.... All the things I observed lead to MUCH tighter windows for QB's to throw into... There just won't be a lot of cushion between him and the defender...

Maybe that'll work for whoever gets the start at QB...

I see Andre Holmes as the #2 WR this year. Zay Jones will be the #3 this year.