Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

Seriously??

These QBs are way better than last year, have you watched any games?

I agree with BB. I don't love Kiper but 3 of his top 4 overall players are QB (Darnold, Rosen, Allen), Lamar Jackson is at 17, Rudolph at 25 and Falk and Mayfield are possible 1st rounders. Can someone tell me when last year 5 QBs were ranked in the top 25 and 3 in the top 5? I'll hang up and listen...

I agree with BB. I don't love Kiper but 3 of his top 4 overall players are QB (Darnold, Rosen, Allen), Lamar Jackson is at 17, Rudolph at 25 and Falk and Mayfield are possible 1st rounders. Can someone tell me when last year 5 QBs were ranked in the top 25 and 3 in the top 5? I'll hang up and listen...

Lamar Jackson is the qb I have been touting. I see him moving up the ranks as the season advances. The difference in his game from last year to this year is noticeable. He has gone from being an athletic qb to being a more well rounded qb. His passing this year seems to be more refined. No doubt he still has a lot to learn about the position but his progression is visible.

As you well know last year the irrepressible JeffisMagic and I touted Mahomes. The argument was made that the next class was going to be better. It is. Just from a quantity standpoint of viable prospects it's not even close. This is the year for this franchise to get a high end prospect in its pipeline. If it doesn't I will be very disappointed.

Lamar Jackson is the qb I have been touting. I see him moving up the ranks as the season advances. The difference in his game from last year to this year is noticeable. He has gone from being an athletic qb to being a more well rounded qb. His passing this year seems to be more refined. No doubt he still has a lot to learn about the position but his progression is visible.

As you well know last year the irrepressible JeffisMagic and I touted Mahomes. The argument was made that the next class was going to be better. It is. Just from a quantity standpoint of viable prospects it's not even close. This is the year for this franchise to get a high end prospect in its pipeline. If it doesn't I will be very disappointed.

Jackson is growing on me too. He is a heck of a football player.

You know I was the "2018 guy." It was met with sarcasm of "next year is always better" (not from you). I just genuinely believed that the 2018 class had high end talent and depth. If these guys all come out (big if) that appears to be true. Not all drafts have the same strengths and weaknesses. This draft is the year of the QB.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

You know I was the "2018 guy." It was met with sarcasm of "next year is always better" (not from you). I just genuinely believed that the 2018 class had high end talent and depth. If these guys all come out (big if) that appears to be true. Not all drafts have the same strengths and weaknesses. This draft is the year of the QB.

You are being kind but I strenuously disagreed with your wait until the next qb crop because I felt that Mahomes (and still do) would in time be a good qb. My fear with this next draft is that the number of teams seeking a qb will balloon. Teams such as the Steelers, Chargers, Giants and Arizona have veteran qbs who are on the down slope of their careers joining the mix of teams who more urgently need to add a franchise qb for their rebuild such as the Jets and 49ers.

What I like about Lamar Jackson is I see a major progression from his prior year. Putting aside the economic factor playing another year under Petrino would make him a more developed qb and more of an appealing prospect, maybe a candidate to be the first player picked in the following draft.

Edited by JohnC

I have a hunch that McD was also a 2018 guy.

Again, the bar they're trying to exceed is Mahomes, and from everything I read from you guys indicates that a Mahomes bar is a mid 2nd rounder in 2018

I have a hunch that McD was also a 2018 guy.

Again, the bar they're trying to exceed is Mahomes, and from everything I read from you guys indicates that a Mahomes bar is a mid 2nd rounder in 2018

I disagree that Mahomes was a second round talent. In my mind he was a first round talent with the realization that it was going to take some time to adapt his game to the pro ranks. Buffalo would have been a good situation for him, as is KC, because there isn't the urgency to start him right away because an acceptable starter is already in place.

Especially with the qb position the primary focus shouldn't be on whether the prospect has a second or third or whatever grade. The focal point should be whether the player has the ability to be a franchise qb. Another mistake that teams make, most noticeably the Bills, is that they have a tendency to wait until the qb falls to the round he is ranked. That's a mistake as evident by the Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott bypassing. My approach would be that it is better for teams that don't already have a franchise qb to draft a qb prospect earlier rather than later.

The Bills have not had a long term franchise qb since the retirement of Jim Kelly, a quarter century ago. Moral of the story is dithering is not a solution; it is a problem.

PFW speculates on Darnold staying at USC: http://www.profootballweekly.com/lists/2017/09/27/a0f979883f204781b9d6434217bfb244/index.xml?page=3

For a few weeks now, we’ve been throwing out this question to a few folks at various levels up and down the scouting circuit: Might USC QB Sam Darnold return to school in 2018?

Let it be clear first that not one of the people we’ve talked to — from area scouts on the west coast all the way up to a few top decision makers in NFL front offices — have said they know the answer to that. In fact, Darnold might not even know for sure his plans

This sux, I was all hyped to watch Darnold tonight but then my boss says at lunch time "do you want to work Saturday?" I thinking no but but my wallet says yes so now I have to go to bed , grr!

You didn't miss much. The Darnold hype is wearing thin. I'm actually not sure he's a first round pick.

This sux, I was all hyped to watch Darnold tonight but then my boss says at lunch time "do you want to work Saturday?" I thinking no but but my wallet says yes so now I have to go to bed , grr!

Dont worry, like the previous poster stated you didnt miss muc. Well, I mean you did miss Falk nearly doubling Darnolds passing yards.

Edited by Captain Murica

Dont worry, like the previous poster stated you didnt miss muc. Well, I mean you did miss Falk nearly doubling Darnolds passing yards.

Falk doesn't look great either. 3d round pick. And Darnold looks flat out awful, despite playing on an absolutely loaded team. Most overrated prospect in quite a while. Edited by mannc

You didn't miss much. The Darnold hype is wearing thin. I'm actually not sure he's a first round pick.

He's definitely a 1st round pick but I don't want the Bills to take him. If you saw the fumble at the end of the game it was because of his throwing motion. That won't fly in the NFL. He's going to have to work with a QB coach on his motion like Tebow did. I think as a result Darnold will stay in school and try and fix his mechanics first. My choice has been Rosen all along and at this point he's the only one worth trading up for

....what about the Falk kid?....I've seen his name mentioned around here several times but it doesn't look like he's on the big screen radar.....11 TD's in his last two games (I know 5 last week week vs powerhouse Nevada)....guess maybe being an Air Raid guy (code for "spread") makes him a leper?................

IMO, yes. It's not that these guys can't have talent and absolutely can't transition to the NFL, but the offenses they're playing in do not work in the NFL and only work in college because the defensive talent is watered down. It's almost impossible to watch their play and have any idea if they will be able to play well in a more pro-style system. In other words, they're an enormous gamble (yes, even more than the already enormous gamble that every QB is) to bank the future of your franchise on. You're basically trying to build your future on a guy who can't be scouted/graded on one of the most important aspects of the game.

Edited by Acantha

Falk doesn't look great either. 3d round pick. And Darnold looks flat out awful, despite playing on an absolutely loaded team. Most overrated prospect in quite a while.

Falk doesnt nearly have the talent surrounding him that darnold has and outplayed him. His receivers dropped one touchdown along with several other passes. Id say for sure he is a late first round/early second round talent that will go somewhere between the top 10-15.

I will say darnold is the superior athlete but Falk is the pocket passer everyone wants.

Edited by Captain Murica

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.