Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

people are finally seeing this throwing motion thing i've been speaking of...

It's a deal breaker for me. He lowers the ball way too much and it's suceptible to being knocked out like on the final drive last night. He's going to need to work with a throwing mechanics guru for sure. He's definitely not the #1 pick imo because of that. He might stay in school anyhow

Falk doesnt nearly have the talent surrounding him that darnold has and outplayed him. His receivers dropped one touchdown along with several other passes. Id say for sure he is a late first round/early second round talent that will go somewhere between the top 10-15.

I will darnold is the superior athlete but Falk is the pocket passer everyone wants.

gonna have to watch this replay. I know one game doesn't make a QB and this was a big one for them. despite the loss I've seen enough Darnold to know he's a sure-fire NFL QB.

It's a deal breaker for me. He lowers the ball way too much and it's suceptible to being knocked out like on the final drive last night. He's going to need to work with a throwing mechanics guru for sure. He's definitely not the #1 pick imo because of that. He might stay in school anyhow

I know it's easy to overreact to one game, but he reminds me of a less mobile Kevin Hogan. I don't see the arm strength either. Any team that tanks for Darnold will get what it deserves.

Awesome. We'll get a chance then. Because I'm starting to think Beane's a Celtics' Ainge type. He likes to hoard draft picks but won't trade up for a player but will instead trade down. Since we are likely going to be in the middle of the 1st round, he'll have to drop a lot. But we'll likely end up with a Falk or some lesser talent.

IMO, yes. It's not that these guys can't have talent and absolutely can't transition to the NFL, but the offenses they're playing in do not work in the NFL and only work in college because the defensive talent is watered down. It's almost impossible to watch their play and have any idea if they will be able to play well in a more pro-style system. In other words, they're an enormous gamble (yes, even more than the already enormous gamble that every QB is) to bank the future of your franchise on. You're basically trying to build your future on a guy who can't be scouted/graded on one of the most important aspects of the game.

I tend to agree with this. Falk throws a nice ball, but I can't say he looks much better than a lot of other Washington State QBs who have been through that system. And unless he bulks up, he's going to get himself killed in the NFL.

gonna have to watch this replay. I know one game doesn't make a QB and this was a big one for them. despite the loss I've seen enough Darnold to know he's a sure-fire NFL QB.

Oh, I wasnt saying Darnold wasnt an nfl caliber qb. This is more a statement to give Falk some serious recognition. He played a top 4 team and still completed 66% of his passes for 340 yards.

Falk doesn't look great either. 3d round pick. And Darnold looks flat out awful, despite playing on an absolutely loaded team. Most overrated prospect in quite a while.

I'm not certain what you mean by "absolutely loaded." I am not saying that you are wrong, but do you think they are THAT great? I remember reading how good they were last year before Bama beat them 56-7. A few haters on Sirius called this a "fluke," but from where I sat it was a brutal beat down.

Have they improved THAT much? Are they better than say.....Wisconsin? Again, I am asking, not making a statement.

I'm not certain what you mean by "absolutely loaded." I am not saying that you are wrong, but do you think they are THAT great? I remember reading how good they were last year before Bama beat them 56-7. A few haters on Sirius called this a "fluke," but from where I sat it was a brutal beat down.

Have they improved THAT much? Are they better than say.....Wisconsin? Again, I am asking, not making a statement.

Well, let's just say they are far more talented than Washington State. USC is loaded with 4 and 5 star guys every year, but, fortunately for the rest of the PAC 12, the coaching has been awful since Carroll left.

First time I've watched either QB in a live game this year (caught Darnold via Draft Breakdown once), didn't think either were incredibly impressive.

Falk's numbers are better if his receivers could catch, including the off-platform TD. The throw early 3rd with the safety blitz, that's probably the best throw he's ever made.

We give Sam a little bit of contextualising, ended up missing 3 of his starting OL. Still doesn't excuse him staring down targets. The #1 pick can elevate those around him, he just couldn't.

OMG Falk is a freakin STATUE back there. With the state of O line play in NFL he isn't going to be effective unless he can get the Great Wall in front of him. While he has arm strength, some of this throws are just off-target despite having a clean pocket. His decision making isn't as fast as Peterman. Neither is his release. I've seen enough. We got a better prospect in Peterman. No thanks.

Darnold's delivery's been talked before. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813121/article/first-look-scouting-usc-qb-sam-darnold

His arm strength is fine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvuHxEsUHOQ

He worked on his release this past off-season:

USC vs. Washington State all the plays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhEPGxlje4

Thanks for that link. Who put together the game highlights? That was great. Like almost the condensed version but not every play. Great way to watch a game like that.

Players that try to fix try their release very often aren't able to. What they improve suffers in different ways. Darnold is a weird thrower. Usually guys with the big wind-up like Fitz do it to get more oomph on their throws because they have to. He has a strong arm and doesn't have to. And he gets it out so fast. But I agree in the pros it could be a problem. Darnold is not the sure thing.

Thanks for that link. Who put together the game highlights? That was great. Like almost the condensed version but not every play. Great way to watch a game like that.

Players that try to fix try their release very often aren't able to. What they improve suffers in different ways. Darnold is a weird thrower. Usually guys with the big wind-up like Fitz do it to get more oomph on their throws because they have to. He has a strong arm and doesn't have to. And he gets it out so fast. But I agree in the pros it could be a problem. Darnold is not the sure thing.

When he does get to the NFL, I think it would be a mistake to overcoach him in this regard.

....interesting take......may not be fair to talk about QB's from a particular school, but their historical list is.....you judge...
Rob Johnson
Cody Kessler
John David's Booty
Matt Leinart
MAtt Barkley
Mark Sanchez
Todd Maronovich
Rodney Peete
Sean Salisbury
Vince Evans
Carson Palmer
....Carson is probably the only one to earn kudos and his stripes in the NFL.............

Marcus DiNitto- Omnisport

Sam Darnold has been turning the ball over a lot this season, but USC had been able to overcome those mistakes — until Friday night in Pullman, where the No. 5 Trojans lost to No. 16 Washington State.

In fact, a Darnold fumble late in the fourth quarter sealed the deal for the Cougars.

With 1:34 left on the clock and USC trailing 30-27, the eventual final score, Darnold was strip-sacked by Washington State linebacker Jahad Woods, the loose ball recovered by fellow Cougars backer Nate DeRider.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

When he does get to the NFL, I think it would be a mistake to overcoach him in this regard.

I do too. But it could become a problem of pro players causing fumbles because he drops it so low. That is not going to make or break his career though. I think he's a great prospect. But not a clear one overall at all. I like Rosen better.

....interesting take......may not be fair to talk about QB's from a particular school, but their historical list is.....you judge...

Rob Johnson

Cody Kessler

John David's Booty

Matt Leinart

MAtt Barkley

Mark Sanchez

Todd Maronovich

Rodney Peete

Sean Salisbury

Vince Evans

Carson Palmer

....Carson is probably the only one to earn kudos and his stripes in the NFL.............

Marcus DiNitto- Omnisport

Sam Darnold has been turning the ball over a lot this season, but USC had been able to overcome those mistakes until Friday night in Pullman, where the No. 5 Trojans lost to No. 16 Washington State.

In fact, a Darnold fumble late in the fourth quarter sealed the deal for the Cougars.

With 1:34 left on the clock and USC trailing 30-27, the eventual final score, Darnold was strip-sacked by Washington State linebacker Jahad Woods, the loose ball recovered by fellow Cougars backer Nate DeRider.

And there were a couple balls he threw right at WSU DBs that were dropped.

And there were a couple balls he threw right at WSU DBs that were dropped.

...so would you be inclined to say Falk is a potential pick with KC's second 1st depending where that may be?......I know he's from the leper like "Air Raid" club or a/k/a the "Dreaded Spread".....you could use your first 1st on OL or DL (Drafttek has Buffalo going OL & DL with BOTH 1sts) and grab Falk later....saw a mock with him at #19.....with 2 2nds and 2 3rds, you may have to package up to mov e with KC's 1st to grab him at 19+ depending on how the cards play out...............

...so would you be inclined to say Falk is a potential pick with KC's second 1st depending where that may be?......I know he's from the leper like "Air Raid" club or a/k/a the "Dreaded Spread".....you could use your first 1st on OL or DL (Drafttek has Buffalo going OL & DL with BOTH 1sts) and grab Falk later....saw a mock with him at #19.....with 2 2nds and 2 3rds, you may have to package up to mov e with KC's 1st to grab him at 19+ depending on how the cards play out...............

Sure, but I think he's likely to be available later. It depends to some extent how Tyrod does this year, and whether McBean likes Peterman. If they think Falk is good value at the end of the first, then why not, but I suspect he is more of a round 2 or 3 guy. I think the Bills will be looking hard at WR and OL with their first picks.

Yep one bad game , BUST! Glad he doesn't look overwhelming, will make him easier to get.

Darnold was absolutely awful against a mediocre defense, and it was hardly his only sub-par game of the year. Caveat emptor!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.