Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

ESPN article on Rosen: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20826603/ucla-bruins-quarterback-josh-rosen-education-maturation

As long as he stays interested in football, he will be the best of the bunch. He's very intelligent and my fear would be that he will lose interest in football, especially if things don't go his way early on. His family is rich so he doesn't need to play or even work at all for that matter. There needs to be something that drives you to be great. For Brady it was being chosen in the 6th round.

@PFF

How are the draft-eligible college QBs performing so far?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pff-draft-watch-week-4-qb-overview

DKvyZWnXUAAggly.jpg

I've heard the saying that "stats don't mean a thing in college football", but Mayfield's play is extraordinary. Luke Falk has a BIG game this week against USC. Although his team lost, Mason Rudolph still played well. His teams defense was abysmal. This ESPN article about Josh Rosen scares the hell out of me and makes me not wanting the Bills to draft him.

ESPN article on Rosen: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20826603/ucla-bruins-quarterback-josh-rosen-education-maturation

As long as he stays interested in football, he will be the best of the bunch. He's very intelligent and my fear would be that he will lose interest in football, especially if things don't go his way early on. His family is rich so he doesn't need to play or even work at all for that matter. There needs to be something that drives you to be great. For Brady it was being chosen in the 6th round.

Jake Plummer??

@PFF

How are the draft-eligible college QBs performing so far?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pff-draft-watch-week-4-qb-overview

DKvyZWnXUAAggly.jpg

I guess I don't have a reason to be moved much from my original rankings:

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/193625-top-nfl-qb-prospects-for-2018/page-20?do=findComment&comment=4411661

I'll probably swap Allen and Rudolph though

Bandito, Don't get fixated on your love object, Mayfield, at the exclusion of Lamar Jackson. The mistake many people are making is that they are stereotyping because of his exceptional athleticism. He not only can throw the pebble I see progression to his game. Petrino may be a scoundrel but he is also a very good offensive coach.

I think it is a mistake to look for a savior qb. What I'm looking for is a qb who can run a full range offense and has the tools to translate to the pro game. The ideal situation is to draft a qb in the first round without having to give up too many picks to do so. Bolstering the roster is as important as getting a qb.

Bandito, Don't get fixated on your love object, Mayfield, at the exclusion of Lamar Jackson. The mistake many people are making is that they are stereotyping because of his exceptional athleticism. He not only can throw the pebble I see progression to his game. Petrino may be a scoundrel but he is also a very good offensive coach.

I think it is a mistake to look for a savior qb. What I'm looking for is a qb who can run a full range offense and has the tools to translate to the pro game. The ideal situation is to draft a qb in the first round without having to give up too many picks to do so. Bolstering the roster is as important as getting a qb.

The only reason that I don't have Jackson ranked at the moment is that I don't know if he'll declare (which I admit doesn't make a lot of sense given that I have Rosen and Darnold on there).

Jackson, IMO, would probably slot right behind Rosen at 3 right now. His passing efficiency is greatly improved IMO, as he's getting the ball out quicker, more accurately, and with plenty of zip. He'll need to show me that he can speed up the process and operate from the pocket when pressure hits, but you're absolutely right that he belongs in the conversation.

QB Stock Watch: https://www.si.com/2018-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-qb-rankings-stock-watch

Top of the Class:

1. Sam Darnold, USC (26-38, 223 yards, 2 TDs, INT vs. Cal): Darnold was good when he had to be good, but his recent tendency to put the ball in harm’s way is worth monitoring. To be fair, Cal put a lot of pressure on him, and the Trojans offense was hit with injuries.

2. Josh Rosen, UCLA (40-60, 480 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs vs. Stanford): It’s become increasingly clear that the Bruins need Rosen to be great. They’ve lost two straight even though he leads the nation in passing yards and touchdowns. Interceptions continue to be a concern here.

3. Josh Allen, Wyoming (9-19, 92 yards, TD, 0 INT vs. Hawaii): This certainly hasn’t been the start that he was looking for, but an already young Wyoming team has been hit with injuries, Allen got dinged himself in this one, and he still managed to throw the game-winner in overtime.

The only reason that I don't have Jackson ranked at the moment is that I don't know if he'll declare (which I admit doesn't make a lot of sense given that I have Rosen and Darnold on there).

Jackson, IMO, would probably slot right behind Rosen at 3 right now. His passing efficiency is greatly improved IMO, as he's getting the ball out quicker, more accurately, and with plenty of zip. He'll need to show me that he can speed up the process and operate from the pocket when pressure hits, but you're absolutely right that he belongs in the conversation.

Most often you are astute and perspicacious. :worthy:

As you noted his passing is becoming more efficient as a passer and well rounded as a qb. It seems to me he is determined to be more of a qb than an athlete on the field. I'm confident as time goes by he is going to move up the player rankings. If he stayed in school another year (which I think he won't) under Petrino's tutelage he is the type of talent who can be at the very top of the draft class.

Most often you are astute and perspicacious. :worthy:

As you noted his passing is becoming more efficient as a passer and well rounded as a qb. It seems to me he is determined to be more of a qb than an athlete on the field. I'm confident as time goes by he is going to move up the player rankings. If he stayed in school another year (which I think he won't) under Petrino's tutelage he is the type of talent who can be at the very top of the draft class.

....what about the Falk kid?....I've seen his name mentioned around here several times but it doesn't look like he's on the big screen radar.....11 TD's in his last two games (I know 5 last week week vs powerhouse Nevada)....guess maybe being an Air Raid guy (code for "spread") makes him a leper?................

....what about the Falk kid?....I've seen his name mentioned around here several times but it doesn't look like he's on the big screen radar.....11 TD's in his last two games (I know 5 last week week vs powerhouse Nevada)....guess maybe being an Air Raid guy (code for "spread") makes him a leper?................

I'm not dismissing any player. I have not seen much of him so I can't fairly comment on him. As I said in a number of posts my ideal scenario is for there to be a large pool of legitimate franchise qbs so that the Bills will have an opportunity to not only get one but also be in position to get one without dealing off too many of our draft picks.

The best situation for us is to not only get a good qb prospect in the pipeline but using our remaining high picks to get a burst of talent to add to the roster. The Bills, especially under Whaley, have had a history of dealing off picks to get players who are of marginal benefit. This new regime has taken the approach of accumulating picks (some deals such as the Watkins deal were controversial) and taking a more strategic view (longer term) on building a roster. That is a smart approach to take and a refreshing change.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.