Bills trade #10 for #27, a 3rd, and 2018 1st

That may be how you do it but it doesn't make any sense in real life. This isn't time value of money. For a team that's competing in 2017, yes, that matters. For a rebuilding team, you could argue that 2018 first round pick might be more valuable.

Everything is time value of money

Watch out for the Bucs!

Man my analysis showed that Bucs have been drafting really well last 5 years and they finally made a turn up onfield last year. with all the pieces they got this summer, they are gonna be scary offensively.

That may be how you do it but it doesn't make any sense in real life. This isn't time value of money. For a team that's competing in 2017, yes, that matters. For a rebuilding team, you could argue that 2018 first round pick might be more valuable.

Omg, no! It is how it works. Like with the Watkins trade, when the Bills could have either traded their 1&2 or that years 1 and the next year's one to move up. I don't get how folks ITT are trying to value a next year's 1st as one for this year. Crazy.

lol at ANY fan who thinks they know what any QB will do in the NFL. It's absurd with only 30 seconds of thought. The NFL is worth BILLIONS. If you knew which QB's would be successful in any draft you would be filthy, filthy rich.

So, please. Just stop with the nonsense.

Imagine the bandwidth savings!

You're doing it wrong. You need to discount the 2018 #27 by a round.

#10 - 1300

#27 - 680 (2017)

#91 - 136 (2017)

#27 - 310 (2018)

TOTAL - 1126

Bills should have gotten a 2018 2nd of 2018 3rd to balance.

We're sacrificing a little bit of value for more personnel. This team has a lot of holes to fill. There's also very little room for the Chiefs to improve, and a ton of room for them to drop which would only benefit us.

Omg, no! It is how it works. Like with the Watkins trade, when the Bills could have either traded their 1&2 or that years 1 and the next year's one to move up. I don't get how folks ITT are trying to value a next year's 1st as one for this year. Crazy.

Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about the value chart, but why would the same pick in the same round next year be worth half the value of this years? Next year, would we say "Gee, I wish we used this 1st round pick last year, its worth half of these other 1st round picks"?

ITT? Ha. Sure thing guy. Scroll up and learn

Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about the value chart, but why would the same pick in the same round next year be worth half the value of this years? Next year, would we say "Gee, I wish we used this 1st round pick last year, its worth half of these other 1st round picks"?

Because you won't get the benefit of having that player play this season, he's not worth the same amount today as the player who will play this year

Because you have no idea where that pick will be next year or what kind of draft class next year will be. Every year everybody here will tell you we need to wait til next year to pick a QB because that draft class will be better, then when it comes we will here how no one is good and waiti til next year cause that class will be better

Its valued lower because its more of an unknown, the pick could end up being top 5 or top 10, or could be bottom 5 of the round.

lol at ANY fan who thinks they know what any QB will do in the NFL. It's absurd with only 30 seconds of thought. The NFL is worth BILLIONS. If you knew which QB's would be successful in any draft you would be filthy, filthy rich.

So, please. Just stop with the nonsense.

Very well said.

It amazes me the people who say with such certainty that a college QB prospect will be some elite franchise guy.

NFL teams spend $100's of thousands of dollars and countless man hours (between multiple professional scouts, GMs, front office execs etc who all do this for a living) evaluating these players, and yet every year we see so many of these teams miss and the QBs bust.

Nobody knows anything for certain about these QBs. If they did, they'd be very rich, like you said.

Go run the numbers on NFL trades.

Discounting future picks is how it is done on real NFL trades by actual NFL teams and actual NFL GMs.

Fans like you can justify your team making poortrade value trades.

That doesn't change the fact that actual NFL GMs actually discount the value of future picks.

Edited by 1B4IDie

Go run the numbers on NFL trades.

Discounting future picks are how it is done on real NFL trades by actual NFL teams and actual NFL GMs.

Fans like you can justify your team making. as trade value trades.

That doesn't change the fact that actual NFL GMs actually discount the value of future picks.

SMH. If you really think that GMs in 2017 use the same value chart they did back in the 80s and 90s then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying it doesn't factor in, but things have evolved a bit since then.

The Bucs could make the playoffs in the NBA if they were in the eastern conference.

I think they will make the playoffs this year. or come very close to it.

It sucks watching teams like Tampa clearly pass the Bills in fielding a playoff competitive team. Upswing vs. downswing.

Yeah. they have been sucking for a while but their scouting group's been doing the job so now they got talent to win across the board. And are very young and likely all under cap.

You're doing it wrong. You need to discount the 2018 #27 by a round.

#10 - 1300

#27 - 680 (2017)

#91 - 136 (2017)

#27 - 310 (2018)

TOTAL - 1126

Bills should have gotten a 2018 2nd of 2018 3rd to balance.

I had never heard that. May I ask where you learned that?

I've always read that next year's draft picks are valued roughly the same as this year's. Even the draft value chart I have says that right on the top -

http://www.newerascouting.com/nfl-draft-trade-value-chart/

I just landed from a flight and turned on SiriusNFLRadio as these guys were talking about the trade. Gil Brandt said there isn't much difference between #10 and #27 this year and called it a great trade. Good enough for me!

I've always read that next year's draft picks are valued roughly the same as this year's. Even the draft value chart I have says that right on the top -

That's the first place I've ever seen say that (outside fans on message boards)

Discount a round is by far the standard talking point on all major sources

Edited by NoSaint

It's pretty standard.

SMH. If you really think that GMs in 2017 use the same value chart they did back in the 80s and 90s then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying it doesn't factor in, but things have evolved a bit since then.

It is math. It is not some type of opinion you can debate.

Run the actual numbers in the 2016 draft.

Run the actual numbers in the 9ers trade.

Oh - wow actual GMs in 2017 use the chart. shocker!