RD 1, Pick 27: Tre'Davious White (CB) - LSU

SDS

I didn't get into the mocks and player rankings this year because I didn't do the work watching every player that others did so it's unfair to stack them on just the games I watched every week.

But 3D White was my favorite cornerback in college football this year.

Might have been the only non-QB prospect I mentioned here in the entire draft process.

Jumped out to me the same way watching Micah Hyde all year did....like "is anybody else seeing this?" kinda' jumped out.

I guess it's not surprising they both ended up here, the question is do y'all want your personnel department seeing DB's the same way I do. :flirt:

That said.......another blown opportunity to draft a potential franchise changer at QB in Mahomes or Watson(much prefer Mahomes upside).

Bear in mind, I'd take one in round 1 every year until I found one.

Kirby says there is a 10% chance a drafted QB becomes a franchise type........the Bears haven't had a franchise QB in 50 years......10% doesn't sound so bad when you put it in perspective and I think the Bills would have hit at a 20% rate at least if they had done it that way during the drought.

Non-QB first round picks = a lot of one and dones and some busts even if done fairly well.........that's how the Bills only had 3 of theirs on their roster to show for 17 years of failure-level first round draft picks.

Refreshing to hear your take on White (although I agree with you about passing on a QB yet again). But does the dude have a second gear? I just don't see elite closing speed, although I'm not great at evaluating DBs.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the pick. Saw this coming a million miles away considering the CBs we currently have on our roster. We play in throw first NFL today & we have Brady in our division, so we're going to need 4-5 very good DBs.

It's not hard for rookie DBs to make a significant contribution. By the 2nd half of the season, I doubt we're going to see much of different between White and Gilmore, but at a small fraction of the price. If he becomes a star, I'd be perfectly happy dumping him in 5 years for a cheaper version.

Refreshing to hear your take on White (although I agree with you about passing on a QB yet again). But does the dude have a second gear? I just don't see elite closing speed, although I'm not great at evaluating DBs.

I think he does and he will get better because he's a competitor.

But I will say this........in addition to a QB......I'd have rather seen them take Njoku.

I think there is talent to be had at CB later in this draft.......and you could say the same about TE........but I would have liked to see them get Njoku for their passing game........huge upside and only 20 years old and I think they could still find 2 good zone corners later in this draft and have been OK if they are getting pass rush.

My thought, pretty much ALWAYS, when this franchise selects a CB in round 1 is will they pay him if he plays up to his ability?

History says no......and one-and-done contracts really de-value your picks.

Winfield, Clements and Gilmore achieved acclaim for their work.......and they all were allowed to walk during the drought.

The other first rounder, the only one they kept for a second contract, was McKelvin.......because he didn't play well enough to get a good deal elsewhere.

Let's hope this zone scheme pans out and they don't have to draft CB's higher than 27th again for a decade. :thumbsup:

I've read that his quick twitch allows him to make plays on balls. He's a great returner so he must have speed.

Looks a lot like McKelvin, who never had a problem covering guys, but who can also find the ball and make plays on it.

Please expound.

Literally, that is what the pats have done for years. It's why they are one of the best teams at overcoming injuries.

But I'm interested to hear what case you can present.

Pats might be a bad example for you because they have had one of the greatest QBs of all time.

Five things to know about new Bills CB Tre'Davious White
1. He contributed early in a loaded LSU secondary
2. His character is top notch. White wore jersey No. 18 at LSU as a junior and senior. That number is reserved for players who lead “on and off the field” with a selfless attitude.
3. He’s intelligent … and versatile. White was the valedictorian at Green Oaks High School in Shreveport.
4. White became the first non-offensive player in LSU history to score touchdowns in the first two games of a season when he returned an interception 21 yards for a score against Wisconsin and a punt 60 yards for a touchdown against Jacksonville State in 2016.
5. He’s got the ball skills McDermott is after.
Edited by ALF

He was underrated by a lot of people. He is a solid CB, BUT i am not convinced he's as good or better than Darby.

Like the trade down, but felt 27 was too far. We could of dropped 5-8 at the most.

Oh well like the extra 1st rounder next year, we will use it on a QB.