RD 1, Pick 27: Tre'Davious White (CB) - LSU

SDS

So, I'm not generally negative, and I love the pick of CB, and I usually trust us to draft good talent (the coaching is often a different story). However, something that's been on my mind for a while now, and has worried me for the past few years, is this: Our defense doesn't seem to be able to tackle well. Three years ago, we had the 4th best defense in the league, and we were one game against Brady and a few games of solid tackling away from 1st. What I feel with this pick, which I can't seem to shake, is that teams can continue to run towards Gilmore's side and still plow through the CB.

...Of course, White seems to be a great cover CB, who is polished and has great instincts for locating the ball. We essentially have two Darbys now, and you can't get much better in man-to-man coverage than that. With Micah Hyde over top, we are going to be turnover machines. In that respect, I'm super-excited. I feel like, with one solid, nearly can't-miss pick, we have made our starting defensive backfield a strength again. We need depth and maybe a linebacker on defense, but other than that, we have some really nice talent on that side of the ball again, and with McDermott's simplified, aggressive scheme, we should be back to where we were.

Welcome to football in 2017 it's all just kill shots, the Seahawks have made waves about switching to a more rugby style of tackling, but 220 lbs guys who run 4.4s and who are trying not to be tackled are tough to tackle. This isn't high school football where 150 lbs kids who are more concerned about their date to the homecoming dance are form tackling each other.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an LSU season ticket holder. For the last four years, I've watched Tre White grow into the player he is today.

You're downright stupid and don't follow LSU football if you think Jamal Adams made Tre White. If you ask Jamal, he will tell you that Tre White helped make him the player he was, hint why Tre White was voted by his teammates to be the first Tiger to wear #18 for his team for both his junior and senior year.

You never had to worry about White's side of the field, and neither was Adams. Jamal Adams spent most of his time backing up younger corners like Donte Jackson and Kevin Toliver.

While showing signs at times, he struggled a bit during his freshman and sophomore seasons. But a lot of that had to do with changing defensive coordinators 3 times from John Chavis to Kevin Steele. Then for his senior year he had Dave Aranda as his defensive coordinator.

It was a sarcastic reaponse because of another poster saying such. I like the pick alot

This scouting report video is interesting. The guy likes him for covering the slot, but feels he lacks the "explosiveness" to cover wideouts. The video shows how his lack of explosiveness can be exploited (at around 4:30)....

At a school that pumps corners into the top 5-10 picks regularly, it's a sign to even the casual observer that GMs weren't thinking he's a special prospect --- doesn't mean he won't be good still but expect some room for critique on his game

At a school that pumps corners into the top 5-10 picks regularly, it's a sign to even the casual observer that GMs weren't thinking he's a special prospect --- doesn't mean he won't be good still but expect some room for critique on his game

Just watching the plays where he can't "cover the gap", gives me visions of the Patriots burning him all game long with plays like that.

Looks like he can play nickel and punt return right away with the upside to start on the outside later. Maybe he was third on their board for this position after Adoree Jackson and Peppers were taken earlier.

Trade got some great value but have to see what players they get with those picks tonight and next year.

Must not have thought Watson would turn this franchise around. Think the Texans got the pick of the night.

Looks like he can play nickel and punt return right away with the upside to start on the outside later. Maybe he was third on their board for this position after Adoree Jackson and Peppers were taken earlier.

Trade got some great value but have to see what players they get with those picks tonight and next year.

Must not have thought Watson would turn this franchise around. Think the Texans got the pick of the night.

He wasn't behind Jackson or Peppers IMO. Peppers is terrible and Jackson is tiny (and has a weird face).

Been a very long time since I've posted on here, but have read the forum for years.

I don't love the pick, but I understand it and think White can be a day 1 starter and solid contributor for years.

Like many, I was in favor of a trade down coming into the draft, and I think they got solid value. What made it difficult for me was trading out of a spot where we could have got a true impact player, several of which I didn't expect to be there (Hooker, Lattimore, Howard).

The real tough part of this pick was seeing Foster still sitting there at 27 and passing on him. I hope they were right in avoiding him (presumably due to the medical info they had?), because he looks like he's going to be a real difference maker at the NFL level. Pairing him with the extra picks would have made it an overwhelmingly great night, but again, I don't have the luxury of the medicals.

Sorry for the long post. Overall I guess I'm happy that we acquired additional picks/assets and still got a solid contributor at a position of need. Anyone terribly upset by the pick and move just isn't looking at things objectively (hard to fault them after all the years of suffering though).

So, I'm not generally negative, and I love the pick of CB, and I usually trust us to draft good talent (the coaching is often a different story). However, something that's been on my mind for a while now, and has worried me for the past few years, is this: Our defense doesn't seem to be able to tackle well. Three years ago, we had the 4th best defense in the league, and we were one game against Brady and a few games of solid tackling away from 1st. What I feel with this pick, which I can't seem to shake, is that teams can continue to run towards Gilmore's side and still plow through the CB.

...Of course, White seems to be a great cover CB, who is polished and has great instincts for locating the ball. We essentially have two Darbys now, and you can't get much better in man-to-man coverage than that. With Micah Hyde over top, we are going to be turnover machines. In that respect, I'm super-excited. I feel like, with one solid, nearly can't-miss pick, we have made our starting defensive backfield a strength again. We need depth and maybe a linebacker on defense, but other than that, we have some really nice talent on that side of the ball again, and with McDermott's simplified, aggressive scheme, we should be back to where we were.

They were second that year, not fourth. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2014

The Bills D was 26th this past season: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

If I were in charge, I'd scout and draft CBs based on their tackling ability as the primary factor. :rolleyes:

LOL. So true!

If I were in charge, I'd scout and draft CBs based on their tackling ability as the primary factor. :rolleyes:

Actually my favorite draft moment was when Fournette went to the Jags and they asked Dion if he would tackle him or get out of the way :lol:

I didn't get into the mocks and player rankings this year because I didn't do the work watching every player that others did so it's unfair to stack them on just the games I watched every week.

But 3D White was my favorite cornerback in college football this year.

Might have been the only non-QB prospect I mentioned here in the entire draft process.

Jumped out to me the same way watching Micah Hyde all year did....like "is anybody else seeing this?" kinda' jumped out.

I guess it's not surprising they both ended up here, the question is do y'all want your personnel department seeing DB's the same way I do. :flirt:

That said.......another blown opportunity to draft a potential franchise changer at QB in Mahomes or Watson(much prefer Mahomes upside).

Bear in mind, I'd take one in round 1 every year until I found one.

Kirby says there is a 10% chance a drafted QB becomes a franchise type........the Bears haven't had a franchise QB in 50 years......10% doesn't sound so bad when you put it in perspective and I think the Bills would have hit at a 20% rate at least if they had done it that way during the drought.

Non-QB first round picks = a lot of one and dones and some busts even if done fairly well.........that's how the Bills only had 3 of theirs on their roster to show for 17 years of failure-level first round draft picks.