TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

They're not picking.

All this does is remind me of Butler's last hurrah here. If Whaley does get dumped after the draft, does this mean that a combination of McD/Pegs/Russ/whoever else is left all called the shots?

Not being a turd, I really didn't expect the FO to get the 'heave ho' right now....

Edited by Reed83HOF

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this does is remind me of Butler's last hurrah here. If Whaley does get dumped after the draft, does this mean that a combination of McD/Pegs/Russ/whoever else is left all called the shots?

If this scenario is true, best case is that Mono's is taking the reigns and he has the ability to make his own decisions. From the sounds of Pegula's last interview it's going to be a group effort.

I really like Whaley's drafts. They haven't always worked out for us, but at the time of the pick - he generally always found good value. As opposed to reaching for guys like Donte Whitner or Torrell Troup, for example.

If he's out, I hope McDermott isn't the type to fall in love with a prospect and pick them earlier than he should.

Whaley's drafts have never worked out is what I read...... And witnessed.

As for McDermont drafting earlier than he should. I agree ending Nix & Whaleys horrible

overvaluing talent then drafting them early. A couple of track stars and a QB among others come too mind.

Edited by Best Player Available

The good news: ESPN is closing their doors on good journalism as of today. That means we here at TBD are the ONLY ones who know, or will report, any kind of issues going on at OBD.

Yes, I just slammed YOU ALL, Buff News/WGR.

Leroi, fill us in.

Edited by Seasons1992

Oh boy, this makes me nervous for this upcoming draft.

It makes me wonder just how much these scouts (and our GM) will care about getting the picks right.

But at the same time, if they do terrible on the picks it may hurt them in trying to get a new job, I guess.

If they crap the bed, it will be seen by the entire league. Their (and Whaleys) best bet is to make this the best damn draft we have ever had.

We all hope it is true.

I don't, I'd like the revolving door to stop for a minute so we can see what we've got.

Also, what kind of good GM candidate will let a coach hire them??

If they go that path I believe it leads to more dysfunction and instability. Ryan's dismissal was the right move. Whaley has produced a winning season.

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

Not being a turd, I really didn't expect the FO to get the 'heave ho' right now....

No, Chris Brown previously reported that Russ is no longer involved in any football operations.

They're talking about scouts, not the GM. It is still true that if we fire Whaley next week it would be unprecedented. I wonder if there's a chance Pegula just changes Whaley's role to head of pro scouting or something like that. If there was ever a question it should have been taken care of when Rex was fired.

Unprecedented? You'll have to back that one up with some hard data, Potsie.

Oh boy, this makes me nervous for this upcoming draft.

It makes me wonder just how much these scouts (and our GM) will care about getting the picks right.

But at the same time, if they do terrible on the picks it may hurt them in trying to get a new job, I guess.

So the majority of the work that the college scouts do has been done for awhile, likely before McD was even hired. They gave their info to Monos long ago. As far as Whaley, he would like to continue to be employed in the NFL (IF he's on the chopping block) so yes, I think he cares how his draft goes even if it's his last one here. Edited by YoloinOhio

He just writes the contracts as he's told to.. That's like blaming your lawyer for filing your divorce.

Associated Press

• Published: Jan. 31, 2008 at 11:34 a.m.
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Jim Overdorf was promoted to Buffalo Bills senior vice president of football administration, giving him control over contract negotiations and salary cap decisions.
Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

No not Russ

You want me to find data on GMs that HAVEN'T been fired after the draft? No that would fall on you to find one that has, or preferably several.

You used the word, Richie, not me. I presume you've looked at all GM firings over the past 15 years or so and have the hard data that Whaley would be the first one fired after the draft -- right? Because that's what "unprecedented" means.

You used the word, Richie, not me. I presume you've looked at all GM firings over the past 15 years or so and have the hard data that Whaley would be the first one fired after the draft -- right? Because that's what "unprecedented" means.

Definitely not unpredented. There are other cases.

http://www.denverpost.com/2012/05/07/broncos-gm-brian-xanders-agree-to-part-ways-after-four-years-in-denver/

Dumb.

10th and 12th in points on offense the past two years.

4th in points on defense in 2014.

Whaley is far from perfect, but I think he's certainly above average. He's brought enough talent to the team, they just need a coach that doesn't suck. Hopefully McDermott is that man, but now it looks like they're blowing up the front office. I know that's what most want, but I don't think it's the right step.

Stop Whaley from trading picks to move up, force him to address the QB position, and then let him do what he's been doing.

Edited by elroy16