TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They butchered the Dareus contract.

If he is let go I wouldn't say they lied. I'd say Pegula hand picked McD and they had a conversation about attempting to work with Whaley. This way the new coach could get a taste for the GM that struggled working with the previous two coaches. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

You're right on Dareus. Must have been thinking about someone else.

We'll see what happens, but if they can Whaley after all that's been said I don't know what other word to use than lying. And I don't use that word lightly.

It's very comparable, actually, given that they both had the same job title and both were fired immediately after a draft. The fact that he didn't have control simply points to how crappy his situation was. Whaley doesn't appear to have control over the roster anymore now himself.

Anyway, I could go on. Here's a more famous example. http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2440274

Every example you find specially mentions "not fired" in the article. There is no way Whaley "mutually agrees to part ways" next week. If he's gone it's because he was fired. I'll give you this, if the Pegulas really wanted to do this cleanly after the draft the only way would be to play it off like it was mutual, and there is absolutely precedent for that. But I think it's too late for that at this point. I'm not familiar enough with the situations you found to know whether or not a "mutual parting of ways" was discussed ahead of time.

You're right on Dareus. Must have been thinking about someone else.

We'll see what happens, but if they can Whaley after all that's been said I don't know what other word to use than lying. And I don't use that word lightly.

We can agree on that one. Many teams have fired their GM/HC at seasons end and then went on to execute the draft. The timing makes zero sense unless they had some sort of "trial" period.

After last years draft, last seasons fail, the Ryan firings, then post season presser gaffe...he isn't fired? But now he is toast because the draft is over? You needed him to sit there while you make the selections? I'm not buying that.

Every example you find specially mentions "not fired" in the article. There is no way Whaley "mutually agrees to part ways" next week. If he's gone it's because he was fired. I'll give you this, if the Pegulas really wanted to do this cleanly after the draft the only way would be to play it off like it was mutual, and there is absolutely precedent for that. But I think it's too late for that at this point. I'm not familiar enough with the situations you found to know whether or not a "mutual parting of ways" was discussed ahead of time.

Considering there's precedent in Buffalo for this exact move, I'd say there's a precedent.

I didn't say it was "normal," Chachi -- I said it makes some sense to me that they would wait until after the draft, and I found some support for that premise. You used the word "unprecedented," which is just silly because I'm sure there have been GMs let go after the draft and before training camp.

Fonz.jpg

Edited by HappyDays

Casserly was fired regardless of what the piece says. Feel free to keep litigating this, but heading to television wasn't Casserley's preferred choice.

If Whaley leaves, I'd bet a mutual parting of the ways was indeed agreed upon with Whaley and Co. agreeing to stay on until after the draft which makes a ton of sense. McDermott and staff simply don't have the familiarity that Whaley and his staff have after a year+ of scouting and compiling reports on hundreds of prospects from around the country. McD was knee deep in breaking down video of his own players for his first month and a half; he just didn't have the time to break college players down until that was completed.

This conversation is getting dumber by the minute. So what, if I find one GM in the last 2 decades fired after the draft that means Whaley being fired would be totally normal? You're really going out of your way to argue that this situation is normal, when it obviously isn't. No I'm not going to do your research for you, if you can find a couple examples that would be cool... but I don't think you'll find much, if anything.

Crusade much?

Casserly was fired regardless of what the piece says. Feel free to keep litigating this, but heading to television wasn't Casserley's preferred choice.

You found a couple examples of teams and GMs mutually deciding to part ways. I still say it is extremely unusual for the GM to be fired right after the draft and would not leave us in a good place. Whaley isn't even good at drafting, he's good at finding no-name players in free agency that end up contributing. Pegulas recently gave him an extension and said at the beginning of the year there was no plans to fire Whaley, even trotted him out for that abysmal press conference. IF he is fired, and I sill don't expect him to be, it would be a really unusual situation and would reek of dysfunction at the highest levels. I'll leave it at that...

This is all coming from TGs article on Russ

Tim GrahamVerified account @ByTimGraham 10h10 hours ago

Old Russ: Involved in football decisions more than you knew. Current Russ: Not as involved as you think.

Tim GrahamVerified account @ByTimGraham 54m54 minutes ago

And things have changed/are changing. Once Whaley is gone, Brandon's last link to what happens on the field will be, too.

peep show @BuffaloWins

I don't think Russ is picking players anymore, but hard to convince me he's not a sounding board for Pegula w/ hiring GMs and coaches

Tim GrahamVerified account @ByTimGraham 25m25 minutes ago

McDermott essentially will hire the next GM

Brad Smith @Bsmithizzle

Is it a foregone conclusion Whaley is gone after the draft? Feels like it

Tim GrahamVerified account @ByTimGraham 14m14 minutes ago

I'd been hearing he'd get the 2017 season, but abrupt Sabres moves have changed the mood. I wouldn't be surprised either way

Edit:

John WawrowVerified account @john_wawrow 2m2 minutes ago

And to add to ongoing discussion regarding Whaley's diminishing power, this moved on The AP wire a few hours ago.

http://pro32.ap.org/article/rookie-coach-mcdermotts-voice-gains-prominence-bills

"Don't underestimate the impact Bills rookie coach Sean McDermott has already made on Terry Pegula.

When Buffalo's multi-franchise owner outlined concerns of discipline, structure and character he found lacking in his NHL's Sabres following last week's front-office house-cleaning, they're similar to the troubles Pegula believes he addressed in hiring McDermott."

Edit 2 :

In Buffalo, there’s a belief that the Bills will be making extensive moves in the front office when the draft concludes. Per a league source, the team’s scouts are bracing for job changes after the draft. As one scout explained it, “We are all getting fired next week.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/26/bills-scouts-bracing-for-a-post-draft-house-cleaning/

McDERMONATION!!!

giphy.gif

If Whaley leaves, I'd bet a mutual parting of the ways was indeed agreed upon with Whaley and Co. agreeing to stay on until after the draft which makes a ton of sense. McDermott and staff simply don't have the familiarity that Whaley and his staff have after a year+ of scouting and compiling reports on hundreds of prospects from around the country. McD was knee deep in breaking down video of his own players for his first month and a half; he just didn't have the time to break college players down until that was completed.

Well Tim Graham said he originally heard the plan was to give Whaley the year but now he is unsure. If this mutual agreement was already in place I think it would have gotten out there by now. So I think if Whaley goes it wouldn't be by choice and it will be hard to convince the fans that it was.

I'd proffer that perhaps the most plausible scenario is that a parting of the ways has already been negotiated, with all parties under strict non-disclosure restrictions. It's in neither Whaley's nor the scouts' best interests to muck things up leading up to the draft, and it helps to explain Whaley's "muzzling."

The Bills have suddenly become so good at plugging leaks that this would not surprise me at all.

I'd proffer that perhaps the most plausible scenario is that a parting of the ways has already been negotiated, with all parties under strict non-disclosure restrictions. It's in neither Whaley's nor the scouts' best interests to muck things up leading up to the draft, and it helps to explain Whaley's "muzzling."

The Bills have suddenly become so good at plugging leaks that this would not surprise me at all.

Good stuff from both of you guys.

You found a couple examples of teams and GMs mutually deciding to part ways. I still say it is extremely unusual for the GM to be fired right after the draft and would not leave us in a good place. Whaley isn't even good at drafting, he's good at finding no-name players in free agency that end up contributing. Pegulas recently gave him an extension and said at the beginning of the year there was no plans to fire Whaley, even trotted him out for that abysmal press conference. IF he is fired, and I sill don't expect him to be, it would be a really unusual situation and would reek of dysfunction at the highest levels. I'll leave it at that...

But is it unprecedented, Mr. C?

By the way, how does it leave the Bills in a bad position? The draft will be over, they've got time to hire a new GM and scouts, and further roster moves aside from UDFA signings are minimal.

But is it unprecedented, Mr. C?

By the way, how does it leave the Bills in a bad position? The draft will be over, they've got time to hire a new GM and scouts, and further roster moves aside from UDFA signings are minimal.

The front office year ends with the draft. May is the best time to start fresh.