WR Mike Williams Visited Bills today

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simply down to not being able to catch what isn't thrown. For his entire time at Bama, OJ wasn't worked into the gameplan often enough. We've seen him go off when he's given opportunity to, tight ends in college can be high variance performers.

From the PFF draft grade, OJ was 13th in yards per route run & 9th in drop rate. Of 57 targets in 2016, 47 of them were deemed catchable, he caught 45 of them.

Only issue I have with OJ early is return on investment. The talent is there but I think there's a considerable amount of hype with him based on projection.

Blokes I remember you from BBMB. I can def get behind what you are saying. My question and the root of is why is he disappearing? I dont believe nor did I mean to infer hes not producing when given the talent but why isnt he being targeted. Saban would sell his soul for wins and domination on the football field. He had to know that Howard should have been his rookie qbs favorite target and security blanket so why did the coaching staff fill the need to exclude him from gameplans? If he truly is as athletic as he is being hyped then they didnt remove him from the gameplan because if poor matchups. He wasnt injured. That leaves a little merit to that lack of motivation theory. I dont know, I cant know, but what I do know is its awfully peculiar that a player with Howards abilities just disappears for 4 games of the season.

Unfortunately I think he is the pick. There is just such a bad taste from Watkins and other Mike Williams on this team in the past. I really don't want to go Clemson WR again, and then his name just happens to be Mike Williams.

I hate the idea of WR in the first but I love the prospect.

I'm scared of his lean frame and his slow foot speed. Both scream injuries and eaten up by NFL DBs to me.

I could end up being completely incorrect but thats how I feel.

He is a physical beast. He will be a match up nightmare in the NFL.

I'm scared of his lean frame and his slow foot speed. Both scream injuries and eaten up by NFL DBs to me.

I could end up being completely incorrect but thats how I feel.

He's not Calvin Johnson, but who is. He's not slow at all for a big man. More likely he will be having DBs for lunch than the other way round.

He is a physical beast. He will be a match up nightmare in the NFL.

Physical beast is not what comes to mind with Williams when he gets to NFL. Match up nightmares are the players that run precise routes (Edelman, Odell, Brown). Williams does not. Size will not make a WR a match up nightmare in the NFL.

Physical beast is not what comes to mind with Williams when he gets to NFL. Match up nightmares are the players that run precise routes (Edelman, Odell, Brown). Williams does not. Size will not make a WR a match up nightmare in the NFL.

Williams has already beaten many of the corners that will be drafted to stop him.

He needs to improve his route running as many have said and his game will benefit. But there are few, very very few college players, no matter how talented, who come to the next level as finished products. They are all WIP. I think he is a safe pick.

Aj Green, Dez Bryant, Mike Evans, and Kelvin Benjamin beg to differ.

Lions were in the playoffs in last season.

After one of the greatest receiver ever retired and they replaced him with free agents.

The falcons made that Julio trade with roddy white still there in his prime. There's two sides there

What the good teams do is get the pick right - if we pick a bust WR, or a bust TE it won't make much difference.... which was the bigger lions issue there

Roddy was a late 1st. They also had Matt Ryan and haven't drafted a wr high since.

Can't see a 1st year head coach with a roster that isn't a few players away spending his 1st round pick on a WR.

Especially when that coach comes from the defensive side of the ball and the Bills defense was so bad. I would be somewhat surprised if they use the 1st pick on an offensive player but it obviously will depend on how the 1st nine picks go.

If the pick is Leonard Fournette it'll take some self control to not throw a beer bottle at the TV.

After one of the greatest receiver ever retired and they replaced him with free agents.

Roddy was a late 1st. They also had Matt Ryan and haven't drafted a wr high since.

I've got to ask--

Why is the very specific particular 27th vs 10th make a noteworthy distinction? If anything making the trade with an all pro on the roster seems like the bolder situation as opposed to us just potentially taking bpa at our pick

Especially when that coach comes from the defensive side of the ball and the Bills defense was so bad. I would be somewhat surprised if they use the 1st pick on an offensive player but it obviously will depend on how the 1st nine picks go.

If the pick is Leonard Fournette it'll take some self control to not throw a beer bottle at the TV.

Try throwing the TV at the beer bottle, more interesting and a better workout.

Exactly...that is why they should draft Williams so we have more weapons for TT to throw to.

Myself, I don't see them drafting a weapon, particularly for TT to throw to. Not at #10.

Not on a team that has a defensive-oriented head coach in his first season. Not on a team that had a defense that was worse than the offense. Not on a team that intends to run a lot and throw less. Not on a team that lost Gilmore and Zach Brown on defense and only Woods on offense.

Just can't see it at #10.

I like Williams, though. A lot of talent.

Myself, I don't see them drafting a weapon, particularly for TT to throw to. Not at #10.

Not on a team that has a defensive-oriented head coach in his first season. Not on a team that had a defense that was worse than the offense. Not on a team that intends to run a lot and throw less. Not on a team that lost Gilmore and Zach Brown on defense and only Woods on offense.

Just can't see it at #10.

I like Williams, though. A lot of talent.

Only Woods? They are not stocked with good WRs.

It's irrelevant what we've spent on Sammy, Woods, Goodwin, etc. Our WR corps needs to be upgraded in a big way. That doesn't mean we HAVE to use pick 10 on WR, but if the BPA is WR, the fact that we spent two number ones on Sammy three years ago makes no difference. That's what's called a sunk cost. Again, I'm fine with using a later pick or picks at the position instead, but this "no good team invests major resources in WRs" argument is no reason to pass on a guy like Williams or Davis.

It's a reasonable argument.

Sammy Watkins is a sunk cost. Mike Williams is not.

It's not the first pick spent on a WR that usually questionable. It's the second.

Edited by Thurman#1

The Bills do things all the time that makes people scratch their heads. I don't think there is an actual long term strategy going on. They tend to just make moves to get through the current year.

I kind of think that too.

Only Woods? They are not stocked with good WRs.

Lemme see. What did I say? "a team that lost ... only Woods on offense." Yup. Still makes sense, he's the only starter they lost this offseason on offense. Yes, only Woods.

Agreed, though, that they don't have a lot of good WRs. But the defense is in worse shape and he's a defensive coach. Odds are he goes defense with his first pick. He's just going to feel more urgency on that side of the ball. The offense wasn't good, but the defense was worse and then lost more than the offense.

My guess is that if at #10 they only think offensive guys offer good value, then they'll trade back.

Edited by Thurman#1

The falcons made that Julio trade with roddy white still there in his prime. There's two sides there

What the good teams do is get the pick right - if we pick a bust WR, or a bust TE it won't make much difference.... which was the bigger lions issue there

they already had matt ryan. If anything the bills are more dumb given the julio trade.

Fyi i think sammy is the best wr in the nfl

The Bills do things all the time that makes people scratch their heads. I don't think there is an actual long term strategy going on. They tend to just make moves to get through the current year.

Yup, being on the hot seat generates that kind of mindset and Whaley and Ryan bought in to short-term priorities.

Hopefully McDermott is different.

Fyi i think sammy is the best wr in the nfl

Um, well, OK.

Blokes I remember you from BBMB. I can def get behind what you are saying. My question and the root of is why is he disappearing? I dont believe nor did I mean to infer hes not producing when given the talent but why isnt he being targeted. Saban would sell his soul for wins and domination on the football field. He had to know that Howard should have been his rookie qbs favorite target and security blanket so why did the coaching staff fill the need to exclude him from gameplans? If he truly is as athletic as he is being hyped then they didnt remove him from the gameplan because if poor matchups. He wasnt injured. That leaves a little merit to that lack of motivation theory. I dont know, I cant know, but what I do know is its awfully peculiar that a player with Howards abilities just disappears for 4 games of the season.

There's multiple factors that could play into that. Did they bracket him with a LB underneath, safety over the top? Was he required to provide help in pass blocking? I'm not sure his production is bad, especially considering that only 5 tight ends had 50+ catches in 2016. Also, the fact that Alabama run the ball around 60% of the time impacts usage. Jalen Hurts as a freshman QB might not be quite comfortable using the middle of the field as well.

There could be something to the talk of a lack of motivation. OJ passes on the NFL after the best game of his career and only sees an extra 9 targets, I'd be slightly pissed off by that too. Much the same as with Malik McDowell, I think any laziness or lack of motivation could be circumstanial. Unfortunately, we don't get to talk to these guys and ask them questions we want answering.

There is also the potential to suggest that Lane Kiffin, as entertaining as he is, might be a !@#$ing idiot :D

Edited by Blokestradamus

I am positive it was him, sat next to and talked to him. I just assumed he was in town to meet with Bills, I guess it's plausible he was here for other reasons like seeing Sammy.

We are in the age of smart phones ,everyone has a phone these days ; you didn't take any picture what so ever. hmmmmmm interesting

I hope some of the rumors are true, the Browns swap 10 for 12, and give us their 2nd 2nd round pick. We pick up Mike Williams, and take the best safety and best CB in the second round. That would be awesome. I also would love to get Chad Kelly with our last pick. With the other three mid round picks, they really should forget about need and take the BPA.

We shore up our secondary, get an incredible stud opposite Sammy, have a QB to develop for two years until TT's contract is up as the third year we can walk away without significant penalty, and lastly add depth to our roster with talented guys. If it's LB great, but if our board for example has a RB as a more talented player, we take the RB. That's what great teams do. This is such a deep draft in CB and Safeties, the prognosticators are saying there is at least 7-8 of both positions that are rookie starters. Lastly, his is the best TE draft they say in history, so would be nice if a really talented one fell to us in the third, fourth or fifth.

I'm really surprised that people are against WR. WR2 is the worst starting position on the team IMO. They need secondary help and a WLB but have guys that can play there (and there is a ton of secondary depth in the draft). Dennison's offense is going to throw the ball a lot more than Roman's. We watched horrendous WR play last year with Sammy out and even he isn't healthy. The offense has a chance to be dynamic but are missing a WR and now a #2 RB.

I'm really surprised that people are against WR. WR2 is the worst starting position on the team IMO. They need secondary help and a WLB but have guys that can play there (and there is a ton of secondary depth in the draft). Dennison's offense is going to throw the ball a lot more than Roman's. We watched horrendous WR play last year with Sammy out and even he isn't healthy. The offense has a chance to be dynamic but are missing a WR and now a #2 RB.

Denver had a viable passing game last year primarily because of the Thomas/Sanders duo at WR. If the Bills could replicate that level of talent with a better QB and being built to run, why can't we be an offensive juggernaut?

I realize that most people like Davis better. But I was talking to someone in my network who LOVES Mike Williams. Said he would take him every time over Davis and that Williams will be great in the NFL. He just is such a physical player that you don't need to move around.

If you get Mike Williams you play him as the #1 WR (on the other team's best corner) and move Sammy around in the offense.

Analytics guys like Davis better, people I know that are more old school tape guys prefer Mike Williams.

When I was watching video of Deshaun Watson, it was Williams who was making the plays catching off target passes. I haven't watched enough of Corey Davis to compare, but Williams looks outstanding to me. A guy as big as Williams is not going to get the kind of separation that a smaller faster guy like Ross will get, but he doesn't have to. Williams has very good hands and body control to go along with his size, IMHO.

I would not be disappointed if they took Williams or Davis or OJ Howard. I just think that IF they don't like any of the QBs in the first, I'd rather continue to shore up the D. With Lawson and Ragland returning this year, some additional reinforcements for the D could solidify at least one side of the ball.

I'm not against getting a WR 2. I am totally against spending a top ten pick on a WR after already investing 2 #1 draft picks on WR recently. Terrible team building.

Not to mention we barely throw Sammy the ball and now we will have another top ten WR blowing up at lack of targets.

Bills might want to pass but they have Tyrod who is limited there.