Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

i would absolutely sign Blount. He had 18 TDs last year. Belichik is angry because he won't sign for crumbs like Amendola just to play for him so he's throwing this MG signing in his face. Blount made less in the last 3 years for them than MG will make in the next two.

IMO they are making a mistake signing Gillislee. They have a significant amount of money tied up at the RB position and they're all extremely small. None of them can do what Blount did for them last year and they're going to miss him. Blount would come for 2 years and 5-5.75 million. We would play them and take their 5th round pick.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. 69 pages.

I think this is allllll about the fact that it's the Patriots, and that it shook out in terms of an RFA being signed to an offer sheet.

If someone had asked me before the Pats made their offer: "Would you trade Mike Gillislee for a 5th round pick and $1million+ in cap space, would you do it?", I'd have said "yes, in a heartbeat!".

Furthermore, if things were reversed, and it was BELICHICK that signed a scrap heap FA, got two years of good production out of him, then flipped him for a 5th round pick when he was about to turn 28 and likely used the pick to replace him with a younger, much cheaper player, everyone would be gushing about what a genius he is.

Losing a very good 5.7 ypc running back who is tremendous in goaline and short yardage and backs up a 29 year old with hamstring issues so Whaley can draft the next Cyril Richardson in the 5th round and save some money to sign Percy Harvin again is not my idea of smart GMing.

Maybe a smart GM that works with, but if you have faith in Whaley turning in that 5th rounder and cap savings into a more productive/important players than Gillislee, then you have far more faith in him than I.

The smart move was the 2nd round tender and negotiate a longer, cap friendlier deal.

Edited by Billy Zabka

Look at it this way - Gillislee is being paid for the 150-200 carries that he'll likely get in NE. It's an overpay for the 100 carries he'll likely get in Buffalo.

One thing i always like to remember is - don't pay someone for what they've done/accomplished for you. Pay someone for what you want/anticipate them doing for you. There's no "rewarding" you for your previous contributions. If i slap a value on you, then I should not exceed that value in contract negotiations.

One team's value for a player is different than another teams. Hogan is more valuable in a Brady/Belichick offense, than he is in a Tyrod Taylor offense. Hence the difference of opinion on contract value between the two teams.

This is exactly what I was trying to get at earlier. You said it better.

i would absolutely sign Blount. He had 18 TDs last year. Belichik is angry because he won't sign for crumbs like Amendola just to play for him so he's throwing this MG signing in his face. Blount made less in the last 3 years for them than MG will make in the next two.

Did you watch Blount in the postseason? S-l-o-w, and he's not going to get faster (there's also the sharp ypc decline in the regular season). Think Anthony Thomas in his year with the Bills. Also consider the fact that Belichick seems to be the only guy who can motivate Blount to excel. Remember his lackadaisical and very short-lived Steelers stint?

One more thing on MG.......MG was used EXTENSIVELY on short yardage plays.......AND he STILL lead the league in ypa with 5.7 over the past two seasons despite giving away so many carries to low yardage....averaging-lowering plays.........basically tells you that the dude was a BIG PLAY BEAST.

Yup. He averaged a shade under 6.0 YPC if you remove the 6 TD's of 3 or fewer yards he scored. And one thing I noticed is that the Bills had far more success converting short yardage when in the shotgun than otherwise.

Unfortunately the bottom line is the Bills have very little cap space left as things stand. I disagree that he will be easily replaced or anyone would be that good in that offense, but I don't expect they will be able to keep him.

Unfortunately the bottom line is the Bills have very little cap space left as things stand. I disagree that he will be easily replaced or anyone would be that good in that offense, but I don't expect they will be able to keep him.

I've said this before........but the Bills are FLUSH with cap room in the next two offseasons........and they will have a lot of big contracts coming off the books next offseason on top of that.

What's more, they have nobody on the roster to pay either......that's the thing about not having a first round pick in 2013 or 2015 to have to pay or worry about paying.

They could very easily come up with $10M in cap room in a hurry if needed and it wouldn't make a dent in their future cap situation.

They are heading to being one of those teams with $50M in cap room the next couple seasons and the only way they'll ever spend it is overpaying on other teams players who don't mind coming to a losing franchise.

IMO they are making a mistake signing Gillislee. They have a significant amount of money tied up at the RB position and they're all extremely small. None of them can do what Blount did for them last year and they're going to miss him. Blount would come for 2 years and 5-5.75 million. We would play them and take their 5th round pick.

I agree, though they can afford to make mistakes. They're definitely paying too much for a rb corps that really doesn't have a top guy.

Reading their boards, fans there seem to think they got a back who can really be a 3 down player. MG is a bit overrated right now, by them and us.

For NE, they value him as a starter - hence where they are paying him.

Yeah because NE obviously will run a feature back. Lewis is the starter there (if healthy)

Take the pick. Take the pick. Take the pick.

Edited by MAJBobby

Yeah because NE obviously will run a feature back. Lewis is the starter there

Take the pick. Take the pick. Take the pick.

he has actually been mentioned as a "cut" candidate as they just re-signed White and Bolden, and bringing in Gillislee and Burkhead.

Bill could sign Lewis and draft Conner and roll with an all-Pitt backfield

he has actually been mentioned as a "cut" candidate as they just re-signed White and Bolden, and bringing in Gillislee and Burkhead.

None of those RB with maybe the exception of White (though he didnt really show it when Lewis was out offers that Faulk, Lewis skillset that offense really uses well.

......Blount must have wanted more than MG offer sheet...............

None of those RB with maybe the exception of White (though he didnt really show it when Lewis was out offers that Faulk, Lewis skillset that offense really uses well.

i think there is talk of BB moving on from him, could be packaged in a trade to NO with Butler. He's a FA next year.

i think there is talk of BB moving on from him, could be packaged in a trade to NO with Butler. He's a FA next year.

There is always talk about BB moving on from anyone entering their final year unless name ks Brady

Interesting stat, MG converted 3rd/4rth down carries with 5+ yds to go more than any back in the nfl over last two seasons. 14 of 17 such attempts for a ridiculous success rate of over 82%. No one else even close. Not an argument, just a fact to put out there. I think BB probably knows that as well.

That is a pretty interesting stat, thanks for posting. Belichick probably does know that kind of thing too.

That wouldn't be a bad plan B ;-)