Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan was fine for them - but he's just a piece. They attack you through their depth and game planning. This year its like... Gronk, Cooks, Edelman, Hogan, Amendola, Mitchell, Allen, Burkhead, White, Lewis, and Gillislee.

Even if they don't get Gillislee they'll just sign someone else... And still beat us twice.

That lineup is ridiculous....their D is solid also....Coach McD will have a baptism by fire......I think he's going to be a fantastic HC but we simply don't have the guns right now to compete with NE...not a lot of teams do....

Edited by Iron Maiden

That lineup is ridiculous....their D is solid also....Coach McD will have a baptism by fire......I think he's going to be a fantastic HC but we simply don't the guns right now to compete with NE...not a lot of teams do....

Yeah - if they keep butler... they have 2 very good-borderline great corners. They replaced long with Kony Ealy. That roberts kid they drafted looks legit. Brown, Ninkovich, hightower, flowers and McCourtey - the mainstays. They'll probably add some additional LB depth in the draft this year. Pass rush help too.

Even their special teams are best in class. Slater and Ebner - Allen and Gostkowski....

Edited by dneveu

No I think he sucks cause he can't keep them and if the round tender was higher the pats would just move along. but that's MHO

But then you only have him for 1 year at what - 2.8 million? This is 2 years instead of 1 and 3.25 AAV. Is there really that much of a difference? If you value him that highly you can just match the offer sheet.

Edited by dneveu

I realize that you are angry, but state facts instead of whining about inaccuracies.

He's started 70% of the games that have been played since he's been in the NFL, and he's extremely productive when on the field.

He had a foot injury that he played through in 2015, and smoked the rest of the league over the final 9 games that season (when they finally started making him the focal point of the passing game).

Has availability held him back? Yes. Is it anywhere near as bad as you're claiming? No.

Now go find another team to cheer for since you've said multiple times that you're done with this one.

Cmon man you and others are placing him in the elite category. That category is julio and obj level. Has he produced to that level? Not. Even. Close. Therefore the injuries and his availability have hled him back trmendously.

It's shocking that the Eagles had a game plan to slow down the star starting RB, and then the backup change of pace back came in and had some success...

It wasn't a change of pace.......it was just a RB who was down to take the ball inside versus a RB who(at that time) was not. His habit for taking every run to the sideline, mistakenly thinking he still had room there against these newer faster defenses, had gotten way out of control. That's why Chip traded him. He was living in denial about it and after a floundering Chip Kelly team schematically put it to him in Philly......brazenly attacking the LOS KNOWING that Shady wouldn't break form.......well, I think Shady got the slice of humble pie he needed that day to make that change.

The keys to Shady's big turnaround last year were 1.following the blocking and design of plays 2. staying healthier

MG had none of those issues since he got on the field in Buffalo......he came in and did EXACTLY what Roman told him. You don't see MG getting trapped or running backward or even horizontal to the LOS very often. From the outset when he stepped on the field in that Houston game he was totally in-sync with what he was being asked to do. It was a pleasure to watch. He is a bang-up fit in this new scheme. It's not good that he will most likely be leaving.

Cmon man you and others are placing him in the elite category. That category is julio and obj level. Has he produced to that level? Not. Even. Close. Therefore the injuries and his availability have hled him back trmendously.

You've heard all of my arguments on this...in the ONLY stretch of games during which he was targeted at a similar pace to those guys he OUT-PRODUCED them.

That he plays in an offense that throws the ball less than any other in the game is by far the largest factor in holding him back.

Availability is a relatively distant second.

Those are the facts; debate them as you will, but I'd encourage you to do it (a) in the appropriate thread and (b) with some consideration of context

It wasn't a change of pace.......it was just a RB who was down to take the ball inside versus a RB who(at that time) was not. His habit for taking every run to the sideline, mistakenly thinking he still had room there against these newer faster defenses, had gotten way out of control. That's why Chip traded him. He was living in denial about it and after a floundering Chip Kelly team schematically put it to him in Philly......brazenly attacking the LOS KNOWING that Shady wouldn't break form.......well, I think Shady got the slice of humble pie he needed that day to make that change.

The keys to Shady's big turnaround last year were 1.following the blocking and design of plays 2. staying healthier

MG had none of those issues since he got on the field in Buffalo......he came in and did EXACTLY what Roman told him. You don't see MG getting trapped or running backward or even horizontal to the LOS very often. From the outset when he stepped on the field in that Houston game he was totally in-sync with what he was being asked to do. It was a pleasure to watch. He is a bang-up fit in this new scheme. It's not good that he will most likely be leaving.

Thats all well and good. How many yards do you project for Gillislee? How many yards to you project for his replacement with the same # of carries?

There's plenty of examples that didn't work them of course...but there's quite a few that did....I'm so tired of them winning...It's starting to affect my rational.....I usually enjoy the off season because you don't hear about them as much...so far, this year has been brutal....

Hogan did end up being average for them...but that's the problem...they only needed him to be average...he ended up more involve in their plan once Gronk went down but he gave them exactly what they wanted...TD Mike could end up doing the same....

It just weird to read " XXX team is going to pull a fast one on the patriots "...even more so when it's the Bills....

Hogan led the league in ypc. Perhaps more importantly, in three playoff games (and please, let's not assume those away when talking about stats!!!!) he had 17 catches on 23 targets for 332 yards and 2 TDs. That translates into 19.5 ypc and 105.7 ypg.

Edited by dave mcbride

Hogan led the league in ypc. Perhaps more importantly, in three playoff games (and please, let's not assume those away when talking about stats!!!!) he had 17 catches on 23 targets for 332 yards and 2 TDs. That translates into 19.5 ypc and 105.7 ypg.

Letting hogan walk wasn't the biggest mistake. The biggest mistake was believing he could be replaced by the trash we trotted out in training camp.

This thread is peak TBD. Wailing and gnashing of teeth to the tune of 65 pages in a single day. I still believe we can do better though.

I just like the activity. The arguments are all over the place, but its busy so I enjoy it.

Thats all well and good. How many yards do you project for Gillislee? How many yards to you project for his replacement with the same # of carries?

I don't care to speculate on that at this point but he's going to do very well. More concerned with the Bills are losing versus what Pats are gaining.

One more thing on MG.......MG was used EXTENSIVELY on short yardage plays.......AND he STILL lead the league in ypa with 5.7 over the past two seasons despite giving away so many carries to low yardage....averaging-lowering plays.........basically tells you that the dude was a BIG PLAY BEAST.

I don't care to speculate on that at this point but he's going to do very well. More concerned with the Bills are losing versus what Pats are gaining.

One more thing on MG.......MG was used EXTENSIVELY on short yardage plays.......AND he STILL lead the league in ypa with 5.7 over the past two seasons despite giving away so many carries to low yardage....averaging-lowering plays.........basically tells you that the dude was a BIG PLAY BEAST.

I mean if we match - what does he project here vs. his replacement. He obviously projects to do more with NE as he'd be closer to their feature back.

This thread is peak TBD. Wailing and gnashing of teeth to the tune of 65 pages in a single day. I still believe we can do better though.

Don't understate your role though.......bitching about the content of a thread you chose to enter just for the sake of finding something to B word about. :lol: That sounds healthy. :beer:

I mean if we match - what does he project here vs. his replacement. He obviously projects to do more with NE as he'd be closer to their feature back.

Oh I suspect he would get a lot more carries this year.....perhaps a near even split...... and still match or exceed Shady yard for yard while doing a lot of things Shady can't for a fraction of the cost. The odds of Shady having another year above 5 ypa on 200+ carries are not good, IMO because of his age and the scheme change.......and when it ends for RB's it ends FAST so don't make the mistake of thinking you will see it coming slowly. Then MG would likely be the lead back in 2018 because Shady's contract will make him expendable. Lose MG now and the temptation to go back to the RB well early in the draft over the next two seasons will be great.

Not signing him to a 2nd round tender and the patriots waiting until now to do so what a great move. Tactically sound to leave us in a position of need heading in to the draft a week away not thinking RB could be a need.

We messed up