Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

This makes sense.

Gilissee is a bit of a weird back. He's perfect for those 5-8 carries per game. But as I recall, anytime he had to step in to start, he was pretty terrible. I don't think he is a backup RB, as opposed to just a change of pace sort of guy who is good for limited touches.

Seeing as NE uses RBBC, he's a great fit for that.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This makes sense.

Gilissee is a bit of a weird back. He's perfect for those 5-8 carries per game. But as I recall, anytime he had to step in to start, he was pretty terrible. I don't think he is a backup RB, as opposed to just a change of pace sort of guy who is good for limited touches.

I agree with this. It's likely that the Bills see a draft-able RB who can fill a long-term backup role.

Also, DeAngelo Williams is a FA. Could be a nice addition in case we lost McCoy for some games. Pick him up and draft a RB.

I agree with this. It's likely that the Bills see a draft-able RB who can fill a long-term backup role.

Also, DeAngelo Williams is a FA. Could be a nice addition in case we lost McCoy for some games. Pick him up and draft a RB.

i was thinking about DW as well. McD would know him, they were in Carolina same time 2011-2014.

This post right here is to let any one know, who thinks this is Doug Whaleys fault... they're WRONG. If you want someone to blame, it's Jim Overdorf. He has consistently put the Bills in these types of situations, that's why he's been recently moved into a new role... Hate to see TD Mike go, but in return, we get a 5th round pick, making that the 3rd 5th round pick we have... Remember, RB's are a dime a dozen.. you can't pay your back up RB 4 million dollars... NO ONE DOES THAT - only 2 teams in the NFL do that and in my opinion, it's not a good idea.

This post right here is to let any one know, who thinks this is Doug Whaleys fault... they're WRONG. If you want someone to blame, it's Jim Overdorf. He has consistently put the Bills in these types of situations, that's why he's been recently moved into a new role... Hate to see TD Mike go, but in return, we get a 5th round pick, making that the 3rd 5th round pick we have... Remember, RB's are a dime a dozen.. you can't pay your back up RB 4 million dollars... NO ONE DOES THAT - only 2 teams in the NFL do that and in my opinion, it's not a good idea.

What is JO's new role?

People that suggest tendering your 6-carry-per-game backup running back at the 2nd round level just do not understand restricted free agency. No big deal, some people get it, some people don't.

Not exactly.

Some folks happen to believe that the backup RB on this team has a higher value to this team than the does to any other team in the NFL...and that a guy that was very productive in his limited role is worth spending an additional $900k in cap space in order to keep him.

It really is that simple.

What Carucci said on the podcast is that the new coaching staff doesn't value him as highly going forward with what they want to do , as the fans do looking back at what he did last year... perhaps if Rex was still here (or even ALynn) that would have been different.

It seems they do value him to some degree, just not 2nd round tender level.

Edited by YoloinOhio

What Carucci said on the podcast is that the new coaching staff doesn't value him as highly going forward with what they want to do , as the fans do looking back at what he did last year... perhaps if Rex was still here (or even ALynn) that would have been different.

It seems they do value him to some degree, just not 2nd round tender level.

That is spot on.

Personally I think we got real lucky with Karlos and Mike, and that RBs are not a dime a dozen. How bad were Boom Boom, Boobie, Reggie, etc while Shady, Karlos and Mike excelled? If we have the room, I say we keep Mike on, because running is vital to our offense. If I had more faith in our passing attack, I'd be more likely to move on from him and take the 5th round pick.

Edit to add: I wasn't impressed with JWill last year, but maybe that was just being a rookie.

Edited by Dorkington

2nd round tender would have been the worst possible move. It's crazy to me some fans are saying Whaley messed up by not sticking him with the 2nd round tender. Why would we pay one backup RB $3 million?

Not exactly.

Some folks happen to believe that the backup RB on this team has a higher value to this team than the does to any other team in the NFL...and that a guy that was very productive in his limited role is worth spending an additional $900k in cap space in order to keep him.

Agree with Bandit on this. That's one reason why the 2nd round tender would've been the right move. The other is with an eye toward keeping MG long term. Shady will be 29 before this season begins. That would've given the Bills this season to determine if MG was worth moving forward with as McCoy hit 30.

That is another imaginary line in the sand.

I've yet to hear one person say they feel that Shady will be back in Buffalo after this season.

This is a veteran team....that will likely be losing a half dozen older starters between the beginning of 2017 and 2018........ the 2013 draft class is all gone......there was no first round pick in 2015.......so longer term, losing key players who could be here even just TWO years from now should be a roster concern.

Well, Mike is just a year or two behind Shady and never has, never will be anymore than a change of pace back.

There is nothing imaginary about not wanting to pay a back up top 20 money

I like MG, kinda' hope they keep him but won't freak out if he goes. I used to think RB's were a "dime a dozen" and anyone could get 100 yds with 20 carries...but don't think that anymore. Too many unproductive RB's litter the league and as other posters have mentioned, the Bills have had a few. I think as much as the Bills hit it big signing TD mike, MG may have hit it good being with the Bills. I'm not sure his amazing level of productivity will carry over to the Pats. We'll see. I was also concerned last year seeing MG get hammered several times going up the middle. He got concussed in preseason....and it looked like he got his bell rung several times during the season. Not sure how his body will hold up to carrying a bigger load. But maybe that's the part of me who realizes he will go to new England so I'm trying to think of some negative things...

Well, Mike is just a year or two behind Shady and never has, never will be anymore than a change of pace back.

There is nothing imaginary about not wanting to pay a back up top 20 money

He'd have been 25th at the 2nd round tender amount - and lower than that after the rookies sign. And NE certainly seems happy to pay him (a little) more than that. If a team is going to be as run focused on offense as the Bills have been, then they must have a quality backup. Without MG they don't. But they could've for an extra $900k. Edited by BarleyNY

He'd have been 25th at the 2nd round tender amount - and lower than that after the rookies sign. And NE certainly seems happy to pay him (a little) more than that. If a team is going to be as run focused on offense as the Bills have been, then they must have a quality backup. Without MG they don't. But they could've for an extra $900k.

There are surely 10-15 running backs in the upcoming draft that can assume the role of decent back up RB...and at least that many in free agency.

Not exactly.

I will say I am one of those people

Do people really have a hard time remember the bryce brown/boom herron days?

There are surely 10-15 running backs in the upcoming draft that can assume the role of decent back up RB...and at least that many in free agency.

And now we have to waste a draft pick on the RB position when we wouldnt have for 900K more...and we have many areas of weakness that need to be addressed through the draft. We will have added one more by losing our great backup RB.

Literally every position on our team could be helped by a draft pick BESIDES RB before this, and now we can add RB to the mix.

We cannot address all of our needs via the draft, and we have now added another position to that list.

Edited by PaattMaann

And now we have to waste a draft pick on the RB position when we wouldnt have for 900K more...and we have many areas of weakness that need to be addressed through the draft. We will have added one more by losing our great backup RB.

Literally every position on our team could be helped by a draft pick BESIDES RB before this, and now we can add RB to the mix.

We cannot address all of our needs via the draft, and we have now added another position to that list.

i think you are assuming that they would not have added one anyway. It's the most loaded RB class in 20 years per the experts. They need to think both short and long term, and their top 2 RBs last year are going to be 29 and 27. They should draft one whether they keep MG or not imo. Edited by YoloinOhio

i think you are assuming that they would not have added one anyway. It's the most loaded RB class in 20 years per the experts. They need to think both short and long term, and their top 2 RBs last year are going to be 29 and 27. They should draft one whether they keep MG or not imo.

I am assuming it would not have been a NEED but could have been a nice add if the right guy fell to them in the right spot.

Losing our backup RB makes it a NEED now instead of a luxury.