Eli Manning accused of fake "game used" helmet scam

Look at the context from this article:

"On April 27, 2010, Manning sent an email to Giants head equipment manager Joe Skiba asking for "two helmets that can pass as game used." The email was initiated after Manning was sent a note by Alan Zucker, his marketing agent throughout his career, to come up with some equipment to satisfy his obligation to provide such materials to sports memorabilia company Steiner Sports."

My guess is that Eli's camp is going to issue the following statement:

"Eli wanted the equipment manager to find 2 (of his many) actual game used helmets that were scuffed up enough to look 'game used', so that the buyers would have a more authentic piece of memorabilia. Any lack of clarity in the message can be attributed to the below:

otWcrAk.png

This is much about nothing. He's on the hook to give the memorabilia creeps 2 helmets and he tells the equipment guy to just give him a few worn looking helmets.

I bet nearly all of the crap those memorabilia guys sell to suckers as "game used" are totally bogus in that respect.

Who cares? Give someone their money back.

I demand that all so-called "game used" helmets be accompanied by a DNA test demonstrating that Eli's sweat actually graced the inside of the helmet. As the annoying office manager who fills his corner office shelves with idiotic sports memorabilia, the veneer of "authenticity" is everything to me. (The "white crime" comment sums it up nicely)

Sweat DNA?

This is much about nothing. He's on the hook to give the memorabilia creeps 2 helmets and he tells the equipment guy to just give him a few worn looking helmets.

I bet nearly all of the crap those memorabilia guys sell to suckers as "game used" are totally bogus in that respect.

Who cares? Give someone their money back.

Sweat DNA?

I guess it depends who you were talking to, if you were one of these guys who bought the helmet, you'd probably be legitimately upset.

On a separate note, does anyone want to buy an authentic game worn Tayrod Tyler jersey?

I guess it depends who you were talking to, if you were one of these guys who bought the helmet, you'd probably be legitimately upset.

On a separate note, does anyone want to buy an authentic game worn Tayrod Tyler jersey?

If I was one of those guys who bought the helmet I would be ashamed to admit that I was ripped off in one of the most corrupt markets there is.

And then I would quietly ask for my money back.

What's the standard, and how many helmets does a qb cycle through in a season? Woulda guy wear two helmets in a game? Preseason any diff than regular season? Could a guy like Eli wear a helmet for 10 minutes in a preseason game?

It always irritates me when news sources cite allegations in a lawsuit as any sort of evidence of wrongdoing. It's a one-sided shot across the bow of the defendant that often has little to do with anything that actually happened.

Actually, Peyton is the rotten one. Google Peyton's time at Tennessee with the female trainer. He and dad pretty much ruined this girl's life.

makes me wanna vomit everytime I see a commercial with the idiot pizza guy.

i thought Eli was a good guy. Maybe not.

Actually, Peyton is the rotten one. Google Peyton's time at Tennessee with the female trainer. He and dad pretty much ruined this girl's life.

Lets not get carried away. Half the guys on TBD would pay double the market rate for game worn helmets to have Peyton put his balls on their head. Plus that woman used a lot of profanity.

This is going to be a big problem for Eli Manning. This is fraud, and I'd imagine if Eli got caught this one time he's done it many times before. Add to that, these pieces of authentic signed gear go for a lot of money and he could be looking at a very high fraud loss amount. That e-mail of Eli asking for 2 helmets that look "game used" is the smoking gun.

I, personally, faced a big legal problem for getting involved with knockoff Chinese NFL jerseys, so I fully understand how big of a problem this can become. IMO, this story has the potential to be much, much worse than what I experienced just because of who's involved and the increased deception of faking game used items which sell for a very large premium.

If true, is a jail-time offense, IMO. At the very least, HUGE civil fines plus lawsuits from those who purchased any Eli autographed memorabilia (I'd imagine the value of anything he signed is WAY down. If he cheated here, there will be speculation he cheated elsewhere).

What's the standard, and how many helmets does a qb cycle through in a season? Woulda guy wear two helmets in a game? Preseason any diff than regular season? Could a guy like Eli wear a helmet for 10 minutes in a preseason game?

It always irritates me when news sources cite allegations in a lawsuit as any sort of evidence of wrongdoing. It's a one-sided shot across the bow of the defendant that often has little to do with anything that actually happened.

totally agree with your last sentence. Citing the allegations in the lawsuit is weak journalism. It's not anything but one persons claim. It could be 100% false.

Lets not get carried away. Half the guys on TBD would pay double the market rate for game worn helmets to have Peyton put his balls on their head. Plus that woman used a lot of profanity.

What's the going rate these days?

The Mannings have the same thing going for them that Favre did. They seem like your average everyday "good ole boys" who lots of Americans can relate to. Most guys who spend Sundays watching the NFL on their couch feel a connection to these guys. This allows the court of public opinion to always fall in their favor. Other players would be crucified in the court of public opinion for doing what the Mannings and Favre have done.

If true, is a jail-time offense, IMO. At the very least, HUGE civil fines plus lawsuits from those who purchased any Eli autographed memorabilia (I'd imagine the value of anything he signed is WAY down. If he cheated here, there will be speculation he cheated elsewhere).

totally agree with your last sentence. Citing the allegations in the lawsuit is weak journalism. It's not anything but one persons claim. It could be 100% false.

I get the relevance of the story, but they blister these guys with bad press and leave bodies in the wake. Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

"Two helmets that can pass as game used."

I am not defending Eli, I don't know what his intent was, but how can this be a "smoking gun?" How can this conclude guilt?

Why assume this is negative? Glass half-empty. Can't the above mean that his intent was just looking for two helmets tha can pass as game used?

Look @ this as a glass half-full. He was looking for two pieces of equipment that could pass as of being game used. SIMPLE. Maybe he was just being honest and wanted to find game used equipment.

Kind of like: "I shot the Sheriff but didn't shoot the deputy." Why does everybody think he didn't shoot Barney Fife, but shot Andy Taylor. No. Only one man here. A sheriff should be a DEPUTY of the law. He shot a man, but not a "deputy of the law" and if he is guilty (in the eyes of God) he will pay!

Okay bad... But it shows you how different a few simple words, punctuation could make something mean.

Like:

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/3-punctuation-mistakes-that-can-make-you-look-like-a-cannibal/

1. Eat your dinner. vs Eat. Youre dinner. Normal: Eat your dinner. Cannibalistic: Eat. Youre dinner.

2. Lets eat, Grandma. vs. Lets eat Grandma. Normal: Lets eat, Grandma. Cannibalistic: Lets eat Grandma.

3. I love cooking, my dogs, and my family. vs. I love cooking my dogs and my family. Normal: I love cooking, my dogs, and my family. Cannibalistic: I love cooking my dogs and my family.

Kinda same here. "Hey can you find me two helmets that can pass as game used." He's looking for two helmets that are game used and meet the criteria. Big deal. Why are people assuming the worse, that he is cheating somebody.

He never said:

"Hey, can you find me two helmets that we can pass OFF as game used."

Instead:

"...can pass as game used."

"Pass as" vs. "Pass off as." One shows less to zero negative intent than the other (later).

We are so negative assuming that somebody is cheating somebody else. "Assuming intent" is just what it is. Again, maybe he was just being honest. "Hey, find me two game used helmets. You know, two that are game used and meet the standards. Meaning ones that can pass, whatever that standard is. Can it be one play?" Can it be ones that I only wore on sideline, fit bad and they brought me other ones?

We automatically assume the worse, why not the best?

I am posting between Noon & 15:00 on Good Friday, I am gonna go to hell? Should I be praying and reflecting about all the selfish negativity out there. ;-)

This is going to be a big problem for Eli Manning. This is fraud, and I'd imagine if Eli got caught this one time he's done it many times before. Add to that, these pieces of authentic signed gear go for a lot of money and he could be looking at a very high fraud loss amount. That e-mail of Eli asking for 2 helmets that look "game used" is the smoking gun.

I, personally, faced a big legal problem for getting involved with knockoff Chinese NFL jerseys, so I fully understand how big of a problem this can become. IMO, this story has the potential to be much, much worse than what I experienced just because of who's involved and the increased deception of faking game used items which sell for a very large premium.

Yes, you are probably right. Due to Manning's star status he will likely get the benefit of doubt and slip out of big trouble. There will be fall guys though, who will pay the price. In my situation, both homeland security and the intellectual property rights of the sports leagues came down on me with authority, and they absolutely had the right to do so, I was in the wrong. I do suspect, though, that the sports league will be much more forgiving to Eli, considering he's an actual ambassador of the brand.

Huh?

Legal troubles... Knockoff Chinese jerseys... Homeland security coming down on you... Sounds like the bad plot of a screwball comedy.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Huh?

Legal troubles... Knockoff Chinese jerseys... Homeland security coming down on you... Sounds like the bad plot of a screwball comedy.

I know. I always preface this situation with accepting responsibility that I effed up. With that said you are not the only one that was absolutely shocked to hear about the extensive involvement, in time, money and resources that homeland security spent on my situation with counterfeit jerseys. Who would have ever thought that the department that was formed to protect Americans from what happened on 9/11 would be policing intellectual property rights for a multibillion corporation, on their own dime. Once again, I made a mistake and learned from that mistake, but the entire experience was very eye opening.

The emails were filed Tuesday in New Jersey’s Bergen County Superior Court by three memorabilia collectors who are pressing a civil racketeering suit against the Giants, Manning, Skiba, Steiner and others, including team co-owner and CEO John Mara.

Casting a wide net is usually done when you have a weak case and trying to get larger buyouts.

Mara should counter sue for slander so they can have war of pocketbooks.

Sure is it signed "Tayrod" with letter of authentication?

...and it looks like there was a similar lawsuit involving Manning and Steiner sports three years ago. Or is this the same lawsuit?

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2014/01/30/eli-and-giants-created-fake-memorabilia-suit/amp/

If the authentication process just involves Steiner asking Manning "hey, these are legit, right?" I'm not sure I'd be willing to drop major bucks on any of that stuff. But apparently enough bridge-and-tunnel ham-and-eggers from Paramus fall for it to make the business so lucrative.

I'm not sure I understand the concept of selling game-used helmets. Aren't the players required to keep the same helmet throughout the year, and as long as possible? I thought there were safety rules in place that require that once a helmet is deemed safe, and broken in, it's to be used for as long as possible to avoid increasing the odds of injury due to a faulty helmet. I thought these rules were what prevent teams from having throwback or alternate uniforms that include helmets that differ in color from the standard uniform's helmets.

All that said, who really cares? Since I was like, 5 years old, I've understood (or assumed) that anything purchased as "game worn" could be anything from worn during live action, to strapped on for 5 seconds and tossed to the side, to used in practice (yes- I understand that "practice worn" is patently different than "game worn"). Figured the whole point was to rip people off.

Edited by BringBackFlutie

I know. I always preface this situation with accepting responsibility that I effed up. With that said you are not the only one that was absolutely shocked to hear about the extensive involvement, in time, money and resources that homeland security spent on my situation with counterfeit jerseys. Who would have ever thought that the department that was formed to protect Americans from what happened on 9/11 would be policing intellectual property rights for a multibillion corporation, on their own dime. Once again, I made a mistake and learned from that mistake, but the entire experience was very eye opening.

What were you doing? Running a site?

"Two helmets that can pass as game used."

I am not defending Eli, I don't know what his intent was, but how can this be a "smoking gun?" How can this conclude guilt?

Why assume this is negative? Glass half-empty. Can't the above mean that his intent was just looking for two helmets tha can pass as game used?

Look @ this as a glass half-full. He was looking for two pieces of equipment that could pass as of being game used. SIMPLE. Maybe he was just being honest and wanted to find game used equipment.

Kind of like: "I shot the Sheriff but didn't shoot the deputy." Why does everybody think he didn't shoot Barney Fife, but shot Andy Taylor. No. Only one man here. A sheriff should be a DEPUTY of the law. He shot a man, but not a "deputy of the law" and if he is guilty (in the eyes of God) he will pay!

Okay bad... But it shows you how different a few simple words, punctuation could make something mean.

Like:

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/3-punctuation-mistakes-that-can-make-you-look-like-a-cannibal/

1. Eat your dinner. vs Eat. Youre dinner. Normal: Eat your dinner. Cannibalistic: Eat. Youre dinner.

2. Lets eat, Grandma. vs. Lets eat Grandma. Normal: Lets eat, Grandma. Cannibalistic: Lets eat Grandma.

3. I love cooking, my dogs, and my family. vs. I love cooking my dogs and my family. Normal: I love cooking, my dogs, and my family. Cannibalistic: I love cooking my dogs and my family.

Kinda same here. "Hey can you find me two helmets that can pass as game used." He's looking for two helmets that are game used and meet the criteria. Big deal. Why are people assuming the worse, that he is cheating somebody.

He never said:

"Hey, can you find me two helmets that we can pass OFF as game used."

Instead:

"...can pass as game used."

"Pass as" vs. "Pass off as." One shows less to zero negative intent than the other (later).

We are so negative assuming that somebody is cheating somebody else. "Assuming intent" is just what it is. Again, maybe he was just being honest. "Hey, find me two game used helmets. You know, two that are game used and meet the standards. Meaning ones that can pass, whatever that standard is. Can it be one play?" Can it be ones that I only wore on sideline, fit bad and they brought me other ones?

We automatically assume the worse, why not the best?

I am posting between Noon & 15:00 on Good Friday, I am gonna go to hell? Should I be praying and reflecting about all the selfish negativity out there. ;-)

I think for Lent you should give up your common sense.

Let someone else have it, for God's Sake.