new biggest draft bust?

Of course not. Young people have to stop throwing around "ever" so haphazardly. And I'm only 38. For one, he's not that big of a draft bust because no one even thought he was that good to begin with. This I will say- that was the worst first round draft since I've been following football and it's not even close. And the thing is, everyone knew it then too. Maybe worst trade up to draft a guy.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Hard to beat Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell for biggest bust ever. They were first picks (Leaf overall #2, Russell #1) back when rookie salaries weren't capped.

These two for sure, gotta throw Aaron Curry into the mix as well. Plus Mike Williams because personally im still peeved about that one.

Of course not. Young people have to stop throwing around "ever" so haphazardly. And I'm only 38. For one, he's not that big of a draft bust because no one even thought he was that good to begin with. This I will say- that was the worst first round draft since I've been following football and it's not even close. And the thing is, everyone knew it then too. Maybe worst trade up to draft a guy.

Agreed. On the whole thing.

That said I think that Jamarcus has a chance at the title given that he went #1, got one of the richest deals in draft history (which he held out into the season to get)... and then was a lazy drug using gambler.

He also was followed by Calvin Johnson, joe Thomas and a few picks later Adrian Peterson so there were some all time talents on the board too

Taking into consideration what the Redskins gave up for him, RGIII deserves serious consideration for biggest bust ever. He did play one decent season of football though.

Bonus Question: Guess which AFC East team Ryan Leaf beat in his NFL debut?

Edited by mannc

Agreed. On the whole thing.

That said I think that Jamarcus has a chance at the title given that he went #1, got one of the richest deals in draft history (which he held out into the season to get)... and then was a lazy drug using gambler.

He also was followed by Calvin Johnson, joe Thomas and a few picks later Adrian Peterson so there were some all time talents on the board too

Lynch was one of the greats on the board also, we all know where he went.

Jordan is a big time draft bust, but I would like others have to say Russell and Leaf are the two worst, at least in the modern era.

Jordan is Miami's version of Maybin. Both were drafted much earlier than they should have been. Each of them virtually did nothing for their team and both had character issues. Based on being a #3 pick, Jordan would have to rank higher on the bust list than Maybin.

Jordan is a big time draft bust, but I would like others have to say Russell and Leaf are the two worst, at least in the modern era.

Jordan is Miami's version of Maybin. Both were drafted much earlier than they should have been. Each of them virtually did nothing for their team and both had character issues. Based on being a #3 pick, Jordan would have to rank higher on the bust list than Maybin.

At least we didn't trade up to #3 to get Maybin...

Lynch was one of the greats on the board also, we all know where he went.

And in that context leaf wasn't even the top guy at his position and was followed with 2 of the next 3 being huge flops. I am not sure it even makes sense to list leaf and Russell as a pairing- leaf has been arrested more since but in draft context I think Jamarcus takes it by a good distance (like as far as he threw from one knee)

Taking into consideration what the Redskins gave up for him, RGIII deserves serious consideration for biggest bust ever. He did play one decent season of football though.

Bonus Question: Guess which AFC East team Ryan Leaf beat in his NFL debut?

Ugh I remember that game back in 1998, I believe Steve Christie missed what would have been a game winning field goal at the end. Also Rob Johnson first game as a Bill