Changes coming to Bills front office?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is McDermott GM now? :blink:

maybe I missed something (possible) but like you all I've seen is that McD wants Pegs bring in a guy from the panthers to the FO. Whether that would mean Whaley stays or goes, gets elevated or demoted, changes roles, we don't know. Where are people getting the idea that McD would run the draft and have any kind of FO personnel role in the realm of belichik, Carroll, etc?

The magic of imagination.

Reggie Mckenzie built a team that won 12 games and had a chance to go the Superbowl if Derek Carr hadn't been injured. But your take is amusing.

And Sean McDermott is no Belichick or Carroll.

I want a real GM running the draft.

So you have neither. Pegs should have blown the whole thing up and hired a better GM than Whaley and let that person build his team.

Correct. And I certainly don't want a newly hired head coach who hasn't won a game in the NFL yet given total control. The Pegulas haven't learned any lessons it would seem from the Whaley-Rex years.

Let's hope McDermott is not only a great head coach but a wonderful GM because it appears he is getting those responsibilities as well.

1. Total Control - I don't think anyone is saying that they want McD to have total control. Even the LaConfora article says they'd be bringing in someone to take Whaley's place. I think most people sensible people here are simply saying "yeah, it looks like Whaley is not easy to work with." The coach-GM dynamic is a partnership, not 2 separate groups working independently.

2. I understand from reading your posts in this thread that you would prefer the "GM as King" model. That is a fine model if the GM is a talented player evaluator AND has a vision and plan for how to build a football team. I love that you mention McKenzie because he is a great example of a recent hire who had had some success. But he had a clear plan from day 1 of how he was going to handle their cap issues, how he was going to upgrade talent, and where/when he was going to spend in FA. It is/was a very calculated process. He is also a leader who got his organization and owner to buy in and give him time when many were questioning him, including said owner very publicly. Having a clear long term plan allows you to make mistakes or overcome misfortunes because you have a foundation to keep coming back to. I think at this point it should be abundantly clear that Doug Whaley does not have a clear plan for how to build a football team. We would have seen it bear out in the types of football players brought in over time, in the way he talks about the game in interviews, etc. But he's been here a while now and what's his vision? What kind of team does he like?

Also, that is alot of power to give a first time executive unless they have a proven track record and even then, it doesn't always work out.

Finally, regarding McKenzie - if you did your research you would know that Del Rio has plenty of roster control, more so than any Raider coach. Your constant mentioning of McKenzie more than proves the point that the GM and HC are a team and that in order to be successful they need to work together.

3. Doug Whaley always has said that he just goes out and finds the right players for the coach. Well, like it or not, that is placing the bulk of team building(philosophy, player types/personalities, etc.) onto the coach. So if the coach is setting the team direction and philosophy and plan of action, why doesn't it make sense that he has a say in who he's working with. Again, if Doug Whaley is hard to work with(which there is overwhelming evidence of at this point), why would McD not want to bring in someone who is easier to work with and who he can trust.

Doug Whaley has proven nothing in this league. If better men can be found to do his than so be it. It's not like we have a new coach who his trying to usurp power from an entrenched, experienced GM. There is a power/leadership void within the football department. Someone has to fill it.

...and because this matters exactly how?.....what Whaley knew ranks right up there with my "who gives a rat's azz" about what the hell Buddy Nix did FOUR YEARS AGO......par73 puts you at least ONE OVER in bogey territory depending on the course....nothing like regurgitating the past which will never be undone....let it go...........

I guess I want a GM who knows what his duties are, and is competent enough to execute them. Whaley, particularly with his draft history, has shown he is not.

As far as what he knew about Ryan-- or didn't, it is part of the job of a GM (normally) to be involved in major decisions, such as who is coaching the team. If he is "out of the loop," his power is already gone. Just the title remains. Now, he is not even going to address the media anymore-- including the draft luncheon. All he is currently is a glorified scout-- which is probably his proper niche in the NFL.

You had reports at the end of 2013 that stated Whaley and Marrone were fighting with the "old guard" of Brandon, Overdorf and Berchtold for control.

Then you had the shouting match between Brandon, Whaley and Marrone at the end of TC in 2014.

More reports about Marrone and Whaley not getting along at the end of 2014.

Last year you had reports that Whaley was fighting with Rex Ryan.

Now, reports about McDermott buddying up to Pegula, the FO not wanting Tyrod, but the new Coaching staff wanting him, leaving Whaley out in the cold.

Even if this stuff is 1/2 wrong, or 3/4 wrong it shows that time and time again the Bills can't be trusted. The plan just blows all over the road with the Bills trying to undo decisions they just made, changing defenses again, paying double for a WR then going ground and pound.

And now the DC of the Panthers just walks into our organization, displaces our figure head GM, and just like Rex before him, is going to get whatever he wants. That doesn't give me any faith whatsoever that things will change.

Leaks from the org have been very rare since Rex left and I think it will be interesting to see if the new VP of Comm does anything to counter this story floating around from JLC. PFT, TBN and others are citing it, so the Bills can't be happy because it paints them in a bad light. I wonder if Boyko will let it dissipate or leak something else to counter it.

I also wonder if the Bills will only allow draft related questions to McD when he's made available to the media on 4/20. It's no longer called the pre-draft luncheon. If they allow any questions I'm sure the Whaley topic will get brought up to McD.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Thanks. That should end the thread

They wanted to fire him in Arizona so they could leave him in the desert without water.

@viccarucci

Hearing if #Bills do part ways w GM Doug Whaley, #Panthers dir of player personnel Don Gregory is not a potential replacement, as reported.

Edited by YoloinOhio

You had reports at the end of 2013 that stated Whaley and Marrone were fighting with the "old guard" of Brandon, Overdorf and Berchtold for control.

Then you had the shouting match between Brandon, Whaley and Marrone at the end of TC in 2014.

More reports about Marrone and Whaley not getting along at the end of 2014.

Last year you had reports that Whaley was fighting with Rex Ryan.

Now, reports about McDermott buddying up to Pegula, the FO not wanting Tyrod, but the new Coaching staff wanting him, leaving Whaley out in the cold.

Even if this stuff is 1/2 wrong, or 3/4 wrong it shows that time and time again the Bills can't be trusted. The plan just blows all over the road with the Bills trying to undo decisions they just made, changing defenses again, paying double for a WR then going ground and pound.

And now the DC of the Panthers just walks into our organization, displaces our figure head GM, and just like Rex before him, is going to get whatever he wants. That doesn't give me any faith whatsoever that things will change.

No, there has been no reason to trust the Bills. They need to have the right people in place and let them run the ship. This current model has been proven a failure.

It would be great if you answered the question in his post...why do others in your profession just tweet/write rumors instead of developing sources and posting when they are confident in something (like you usually do)...isnt that what being a reporter/writer actually is?

I think as readers we just have to be smart and know who is who and actually read what they are saying.

I'd compare JW to the weather guy giving the forecast for the next day or two while JLC tweeting a "possible" outcome is often is giving the ten day out. No one expected to the 10 day to NAIL it but it gives you some idea what could be in the pipeline

The team is carrying themselves in a completely different manner now. They have been extremely tight lipped and reclusive when dealing with the media. Due to this the media has made up all kinds of stories as they actually have no stories to report. Good for the organization. It's a welcome change from the loose-lipped sinking ship that had captain Rex at the helm. :thumbsup:

The team is carrying themselves in a completely different manner now. They have been extremely tight lipped and reclusive when dealing with the media. Due to this the media has made up all kinds of stories as they actually have no stories to report. Good for the organization. It's a welcome change from the loose-lipped sinking ship that had captain Rex at the helm. :thumbsup:

agree

To be fair it would be strange if this early there were wild leaks. We are in the honeymoon not the divorce