Changes coming to Bills front office?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked more than many of Whaley's choices, but not all. At this point, if McDermitt has pro personnel staff he wants to bring in and they have the same philosophy as him, then I've changed my mind, and just pull the trigger. My guess is Whaley will end up head of scouting somewhere.

We need to have our personnel dept and coaching completely lock step together.

Agreed

Those statements are true. So what you are asserting is that since those statements are true, so is EVERYTHING else LaConjecture writes?

Is that what you are saying?

That's exactly what he's saying. Because of the drought, anything negative you say about the Bills is true. And if it isn't true, who cares? They have it coming.

We don't know. We're just guessing. There is nothing wrong with input. The issue is when does input become unwanted pressure to get the coach players short term. It happened under the Pegulas organizational structure just last year when we spent 3 picks on an inside linebacker to fix Rex's defense. The pick we gave away would have been Dak Prescott.

We shall see if the same old same old is happening. Who is in charge? We shall see in a few weeks. Let's hope it's not McDermott.

Why have you decided McDermott would provide poor input on personnel decisions?

If you were a Raider fan who would you prefer pick the players? Jack Del Rio or Reggie Mckenzie?

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

You guys aren't arguing the same point.

Horned dogs, jeff's already said having input is ok. But there are some in the 31 pages of this thread, that argued for giving complete GM control to McD and bringing in his Personnel guys.

I think most people would agree the HC should have some input into the roster, but it should ultimately fall on the GM to make those decisions. Especially given the cast we currently have at One Bills Drive.

....and I am agreeing with him............

ah-ha! :thumbsup:

One is a head coach and the other is an experienced pro personnel manager.

Choose.

At the end of the day, it depends on and starts with organizational philosophy. Do you want the Coach running the show or the GM? Owner's choice basically. Even though there isn't a smoking gun (yet) there does seem to be enough smoke to suggest a fire, no pun intended. Whaley is no McKenzie either.

It might be possible Whaley would step back to pro personnel director, but if he did get canned either another team would sign him quickly or he'd be in charge at Univ of Pittsburgh.

...100% correct......when Marrone abruptly bailed, TP summoned Whaley to Brandon to Boca where they met until 9PM on New Year's Eve discussing the ensuing upheaval...despite Whaley and Brandon being under contract, neither knew if they would be retained and Whaley had a standing offer to become AD at Pitt, his alma mater.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

As Whaley showed at his infamous press conference, he is not sure what his duties are (other than to execute Pegula's orders), or anyone else in the organization. He claimed to be out of the loop on the Ryan firing, and didn't know the reason for it.

If McDermott is bringing in personnel from Carolina to help straighten out the mess here, I am all for it. Whaley should have been axed when Ryan was let go.

Why have you decided McDermott would provide poor input on personnel decisions?

My opinion, for this year, is that he would because he most certainly hasn't scouted all of the available players in any depth and, I am assuming that if Whaley goes, so too will his personnel staff/scouts. That would leave McDermott in a bad position, even if the scouts are retained through the draft you have to know that they know they are gone after it. What kind of draft would that portend?

As Whaley showed at his infamous press conference, he is not sure what his duties are (other than to execute Pegula's orders), or anyone else in the organization. He claimed to be out of the loop on the Ryan firing, and didn't know the reason for it.

If McDermott is bringing in personnel from Carolina to help straighten out the mess here, I am all for it. Whaley should have been axed when Ryan was let go.

...and because this matters exactly how?.....what Whaley knew ranks right up there with my "who gives a rat's azz" about what the hell Buddy Nix did FOUR YEARS AGO......par73 puts you at least ONE OVER in bogey territory depending on the course....nothing like regurgitating the past which will never be undone....let it go...........

In this hypothetical scenario has Mckenzie spent to the cap without results, tripled down on a first round bust, and overall drafting pretty poor?

Reggie Mckenzie built a team that won 12 games and had a chance to go the Superbowl if Derek Carr hadn't been injured. But your take is amusing.

At the end of the day, it depends on and starts with organizational philosophy. Do you want the Coach running the show or the GM? Owner's choice basically. Even though there isn't a smoking gun (yet) there does seem to be enough smoke to suggest a fire, no pun intended. Whaley is no McKenzie either.

And Sean McDermott is no Belichick or Carroll.

I want a real GM running the draft.

Reggie Mckenzie built a team that won 12 games and had a chance to go the Superbowl if Derek Carr hadn't been injured. But your take is amusing.

Its not amusing you tried to assimilate Mckenzies success on Whaley and then liken the two situations. Another one of Jeff's failed hot takes.

You ask would anyone accept Del Rio making the calls over Mckenzie trying to liken the situation of Whaley potentially being removed from power and said power given to the HC.

Then someone points out that Whaley's poor to below average track record as a General Manager isnt quite what Mckenzies is then yoh say thats amusing.

Doug Whaley's desire/ego for EJ manuel to be a starting qb is amusing.

Doug Whaleys inability to manage our cap is amusing.

The comparison of Doug Whaley's abilities versus Mckenzies as a General Manager in any way is comical not amusing.

....buy the team and hire YOUR man.......the KC guy was available and Pegula did not make a move so DW is here for 2017.....maybe Grigson, Balke or good 'ol Vinnie Ceralo or Jeff Ireland fit your bill ....and who the hell said McCoach was Belichick or Carroll, BOTH who were canned from their FIRST GIGS, right??.......how were Reggie's teams BEFORE CARR and how were HIS HC choices?...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

maybe I missed something (possible) but like you all I've seen is that McD wants Pegs bring in a guy from the panthers to the FO. Whether that would mean Whaley stays or goes, gets elevated or demoted, changes roles, we don't know. Where are people getting the idea that McD would run the draft and have any kind of FO personnel role in the realm of belichik, Carroll, etc?

We don't have one.

Correct. And I certainly don't want a newly hired head coach who hasn't won a game in the NFL yet given total control. The Pegulas haven't learned any lessons it would seem from the Whaley-Rex years.

Let's hope McDermott is not only a great head coach but a wonderful GM because it appears he is getting those responsibilities as well.

Its not amusing you tried to assimilate Mckenzies success on Whaley and then liken the two situations. Another one of Jeff's failed hot takes.

You ask would anyone accept Del Rio making the calls over Mckenzie trying to liken the situation of Whaley potentially being removed from power and said power given to the HC.

Then someone points out that Whaley's poor to below average track record as a General Manager isnt quite what Mckenzies is then yoh say thats amusing.

Doug Whaley's desire/ego for EJ manuel to be a starting qb is amusing.

Doug Whaleys inability to manage our cap is amusing.

The comparison of Doug Whaley's abilities versus Mckenzies as a General Manager in any way is comical not amusing.

I have no idea what your talking about. It seems you are not reading what I am writing and arguing with yourself.

maybe I missed something (possible) but like you all I've seen is that McD wants Pegs bring in a guy from the panthers to the FO. Whether that would mean Whaley stays or goes, gets elevated or demoted, changes roles, we don't know. Where are people getting the idea that McD would run the draft and have any kind of FO personnel role in the realm of belichik, Carroll, etc?

Its a desperate attempt to paint the articles writer in a bad light, and hang onto Doug Whaley with any retort (irrational or not).

Correct. And I certainly don't want a newly hired head coach who hasn't won a game in the NFL yet given total control. The Pegulas haven't learned any lessons it would seem from the Whaley-Rex years.

Let's hope McDermott is not only a great head coach but a wonderful GM because it appears he is getting those responsibilities as well.

I have no idea what your talking about. It seems you are not reading what I am writing and arguing with yourself.

Jeff do we really need to rehash this?

This is like the twentieth time you have posted a strawman and your ridiculousness has been blown away. You know what you stated and insinuated and now you are being cowardly, insincere, and bankrupt of integrity.

Its a desperate attempt to paint the articles writer in a bad light, and hang onto Doug Whaley with any retort (irrational or not).

Jeff do we really need to rehash this?

This is like the twentieth time you have posted a strawman and your ridiculousness has been blown away. You know what you stated and insinuated and now you are being cowardly, insincere, and bankrupt of integrity.

You have serious reading comprehension issues. Can't help you with that.