[Vague Title]Jim Kelly

JPL7

Does anyone know why Jimbo never got into coaching after retiring? Has he ever discussed it or been asked that question? I would imagine that his son's illness probably played apart in not getting into coaching initially, which makes perfect sense. Though, once he passed away (RIP Hunter) I always thought it would have been a great way for Jim to keep himself busy and scratch that competitive itch. He would have been a heck of an OC. Anyone ever heard anything on this? Thanks.

Seeing this thread immediately had me thinking the worst regarding his past history with cancer. Can you update the vague title?

same here.

as for why, good question to ask him. could be he did not want the responsibility, health issues or just the fact he never wanted to be?

anyone's guess

Does anyone know why Jimbo never got into coaching after retiring? Has he ever discussed it or been asked that question? I would imagine that his son's illness probably played apart in not getting into coaching initially, which makes perfect sense. Though, once he passed away (RIP Hunter) I always thought it would have been a great way for Jim to keep himself busy and scratch that competitive itch. He would have been a heck of an OC. Anyone ever heard anything on this? Thanks.

J K was a great leader of men, but from an X's and O's standpoint its a known fact Jim had a low wonderlic score. (15)

The complexity of todays NFL O's and D's is mind boggling...

intelligence?

Also great players rarely make good coaches, in any sport.

Exactly, It's usually the guys that aren't superstars but do their jobs and never attempt go out do their realm. For example, mike vrabel, Steve Kerr, and Phil Jackson. All of the aforementioned individuals were part of winning teams as players but weren't the franchise player or superstars of their respectable teams but played an essential part in their team's success and now are making/made their names as coaches.

JK stays busy doing lots of things. Part of his Hunter's Hope duties include traveling to various state legislatures to implore them to include Leukodystrophies as part of the standard newborn screening process. There have been many advances in the treatments since HH was founded but only if the disease is detected at birth or shortly after. Still, most states don't require it to be tested for so often times the child is still diagnosed too late to benefit.

If you follow JK you'll notice he goes on a lot of hunting trips. Many of those are actually fundraisers for Hunter's Hope. Places around the country like hunting clubs who want to raise money will often raffle off a "Spend The Day Hunting With Hall Of Famer Jim Kelly" grand prize. They give HH whatever the agreed amount, JK goes hunting for a day with the winner, and the club keeps the rest of the money as their fund raiser.

And many of those celebrities that come to JK's annual golf tournament for Kelly For Kids also have tournaments of their own which JK is obligated to attend throughout the year for reciprocity's sake.

Hard to get into coaching and do all that too.

And besides, great players rarely make good coaches anyway.

he has been asked this many times and has said he doesent want to put in the hours that's needed to be a coach. He wants to spend time with his family.

he has been asked this many times and has said he doesent want to put in the hours that's needed to be a coach. He wants to spend time with his family.

1. A parent burying a child is a tremendous tragedy that lives with you forever.

2. Family bond is of the utmost after the aforementioned loss as well as the Foundation work.

3. May not get rich on NFL pension, but his life style is probably sustainable at a comfortable level.

4. Rigors and time necessary to be invested in coaching aren't for everyone. It's probably why guys like Mooch, Cowher, Billick, Gruden, etc stay in the booth versus the sidelines.

5. Health reasons-his battle with cancer has been an excruciating painful one, physically, mentally as well as the effect on the family.

....as long as HE is happy, so be it......Godspeed Jim Kelly.............

Sent you a PM about editing your heading to include coaching. It would help.

Seeing this thread immediately had me thinking the worst regarding his past history with cancer. Can you update the vague title?

This!

1. A parent burying a child is a tremendous tragedy that lives with you forever.

2. Family bond is of the utmost after the aforementioned loss as well as the Foundation work.

3. May not get rich on NFL pension, but his life style is probably sustainable at a comfortable level.

4. Rigors and time necessary to be invested in coaching aren't for everyone. It's probably why guys like Mooch, Cowher, Billick, Gruden, etc stay in the booth versus the sidelines.

5. Health reasons-his battle with cancer has been an excruciating painful one, physically, mentally as well as the effect on the family.

....as long as HE is happy, so be it......Godspeed Jim Kelly.............

And this!