What's your gut feeling?

Billsfed

Teams in front of the Bills for a playoff spot?

NE, Steelers, Oak, KC, Texans, Balt, very possibly the Fish & Tenn.

We've all been here before during the off season, and the anticipation always goes up after free agency, then the draft.

Check in on this by the end of Thanksgiving weekend, then we'll know who the 2017 Bills really are.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baltimore has a "quality" #1 WR?

They certainly do not, but Allen Robinson is younger than Sammy (barely) and put up numbers that would make us all drool 2 years ago (80-1,400-14).

More importantly, all of those teams (except Cincy and Baltimore) have quality #2 WRs and most have #3 WRs who would be well ahead of our "#2".

NE, Pitt, Oakland, and KC are better than us...we are with the Broncos, Bengals, Ravens and Dolphins group.....I see Tennessee and Jax improving this year but they will still be below us.....we'll be fighting for a Wild Card as always....I love our new coach and have high hopes...but I think it will take him and his staff some time to make this " their " team...8-8 this year and finally playoffs the following season....

I can see the light at the end of the damn tunnel !

I think we finally have a legit group of NFL coaches. Offensive coaching was pretty good last year but defense was a mess. McDermott is methodical and detailed, and the polar opposite of Rex. We sniff the playoffs this year or next.

well, my gut feeling last year was correct as I predicted a 7-9 season...this year I am not as optimistic...I'm feeling a season between 5-11 and 7-9...last years schedule compared to this years is night and day and the team has definitely taken a step back imo.

First - I need to see the Whaley/McDermott draft.
Second - I need to see the roster filled out with new and or retained players.

Third - I need to see Astro notes.

Fourth - I need to see 6 weeks of regular season play. Maybe a few thoughts.

My gut feeling - rinse and repeat.

What happens 1-4 could change that.

The AFC is wide open.

The Patriots and Steelers are locks to make the playoffs, that is it.

Not the Raiders? Chiefs too?

4-12. I believe our talent is just not there. This board by Thanksgiving will be calling for McD's head

Same offense minus Woods. Same D minus Gilmore and Williams. Zach Woods still on the fence. I don't see us as lacking talent overall. Some positions but there is still the draft. If McDermott and staff is competent we will contend for a wild card.

If Tyrod gets hurt, we might not win a game after that.........so, record speculation is game you can't win. Jones has yet to show he is a pro...that is takes the necessary study seriously and practices with perfection. ( Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.) The prior coaching staff (I know, clowns among them) felt CJ was immature and not yet a pro.

I think we have lost significant talent since the end of the last season, which will hurt us this season. I am hopeful about McDermott, but without upgrading the talent and filling holes, I don't see an improvement in our prospects to have a winning record and make the playoffs. Are we really going to have Mills starting at RT again this year? What do we have at WR after Watkins, who has had injury problems? We have been hurt by poor cap management, and we had a lot of free agents this offseason that could not be re-signed or adequately replaced. It is unrealistic to think with six picks in the draft that we will be significantly improved from last season in terms of talent after the losses this offseason. The Bills expected and needed major contributions from the draft class last year and it did not happen for a number of reasons, including injuries.

If this season we feel that the coaching is a major improvement, that will be a real positive and give us confidence that the team will be better in the future. This is one of the things that I will be hoping for this season.

My gut tells me 4 wins at the most.

Having a rookie HC with our QB situation and our schedule - three things that will not change when the draft/FA is all done - is enough to tell me this is going to be a brutal season.

I think the streak is old enough to have its first legal beer before it's broken.

I need to see how they look in preseason. If the team is more disciplined than the last 2 years and stop killing themselves with penalties then I see 8-8. If they are still making boneheaded mistakes then 5 or 6 wins.

HC and staff in their first years combined with middle of the road talent for the most part, and a much harder schedule is going to make it tough. I certainly do not see this team contending for a wild card without divine intervention. If I see a disciplined team that gets 8 wins I will be very encouraged.

Honestly watching Gilmore walk has be more down on this franchise than I have been in a long long time. Our cap situation is such that we could have retained him and the books get much more clear next year, I understand disputing his value, but it's clear he's a very good player in the midst of his prime. Every argument I've seen made for letting him walk is bunk IMO and you are exactly right, using high draft resources to replace him at the cost of positions that have gone unaddressed for a long time leaves us no better off. Either we are a franchise that values corners with high draft picks and we retain the ones who can play, or we don't value them and need to stop using picks on them, but QB, WR, RT have been problems on this team for the better part of 2 decades.

Hard to disagree with this assessment. The cb cycle thing has been tried enough to be proven the wrong strategy.

Balt's Mike Wallace had the 15th most receptions in the AFC last year and over 1,000 yards

Steve Smith 16th

To me that qualifies as a #1 WR however if you disagree and want to remove one from a list of quality #1 WR's so be it

You can likely replace Balt with Jacksonville and Robinson

The point is 75% of the AFC has #1 WR's some with way better statistical stats than Sammy Watkins

To claim our AFC opponents don't have #1 WR's is off base

jc

Either we are a franchise that values corners with high draft picks and we retain the ones who can play, or we don't value them and need to stop using picks on them, but QB, WR, RT have been problems on this team for the better part of 2 decades.

Oh you are so right about RT!!! The only good ones I remember since the playoff days were Jonas Jennings and of course Jason Peters. Both moved to LT and then out the door. People often blast Pears but as mediocre as he was, the man was great compared to Corey Louchiey, Terrance Pennington, Mills, etc.

And don't even get me started wrt Guards! :)