Gilmore to be...a patriot

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to know how people are going to use our 3 picks in the top 155 to get a QB to groom, a WR- 2, a day 1 starting corner, 2 safeties to replace Williams & Graham long term, a linebacker that fits McD's scheme and a RT. The answer in every single FA thread is "the draft is loaded at that position", but we've proven ourselves to be one of the worst franchises at building draft pick capital and we simply don't have enough to it to fill every hole. Losing Gilmore opened up another one. We used cap space that easily could have retained him to fill luxury positions that are usually filled by undrafted players. How people are rationalizing this over his inability to tackle (its a corner, who cares) or willingness to pay him $12 mil but not $14 is amazing.

You have your opinion. Other have theirs. Not sure how you can say that your opinion is correct at this point. You have to take into account scheme and what the team wants to identify themselves with. Looks to me that they identified a few players that would improve the running game (yes it can be improved upon) in getting dimarco (the best run blocking fb in the league), targeting rick Wagner, adding a jack of all trades minimum salary rb/fb that McDermott knows and can help him with the locker room and the best kicker on the market and cheap OL depth that the coaching staff also knows. The players we signed are just over half of gilmores contract. We should still have around 20+ mill left which should land one or 2 of the remaining positions we need to fill (RT, WR, CB. S and LB). Hopefully we can draft 3 in the first 3 rds and add a couple viable players at lesser contracts much like we signed zach brown and lorax last season. There will be players available in a few weeks that can help us that we won't have to spend big money on.

People already crying when FA hasn't even really begun.

They did the same with Revis. It worked out well for them. Revis was great in 2014.

Well, Revis was at the top of his game at that point - arguably the top CB in the league.

At this point, I don't question BB anymore. I've said so many times "this is it! This is the one he screwed up!", only to have it turn out to be a genius move. But right now, it's kind of a head-scratcher - just not his m.o. to overpay like this.

If he produces like he has and wants to be paid like Julio jones, yes we should.

Right.

Of course, when that time comes it won't matter that Watkins didn't have Matt Ryan throwing him the ball.....it will just matter that he didn't produce like a top 3 WR.

Who cares that we spent a first on Gilmore or two firsts on Watkins.....be gone you greedy fools.

I'm really at that "shake fists helplessly at the sky" stage with the Patriots.

This really just goes on & on & on. If they find a way to keep Jimmy G., and he's as good as everyone thinks, it will break me. I may spend the rest of my days in the fetal position, singing an endless loop of "Easy Street."

Nice Walking Dead moment.

Speaking of the Walking Dead who are we getting next in FA?

Edited by jeffismagic

Right.

Of course, when that time comes it won't matter that Watkins didn't have Matt Ryan throwing him the ball.....it will just matter that he didn't produce like a top 3 WR.

Who cares that we spent a first on Gilmore or two firsts on Watkins.....be gone you greedy fools.

First of all im not going to play what if with Watkins. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Second of all, we spent a first on Gilmore and got half a decade out of him. Move on.

Maybe watkins should focus on actually being on the field.

Edited by bobobonators

At the end of the day, we all knew Gilmore was going to get his 14M per season, since most fans didn't want to pay him that, and Bills mgmt agreed, it doesn't make a difference whom he ended up signing with

Yes, a divisional opponent, whom seem to have a never ending stranglehold on 1st place, ends up with a solid CB, but they horribly overpay, hopefully we receive back a 3rd round 2018 draft pick, which will make this a solid football move, in consideration if the pick hits, it's at a per annum salary we can afford for 4 years

The real criticism of our Bills, won't be not franchising or giving Gilmore his 14M, it will be if they mess up getting the comp pick, by having released too many players, requiring them to sign too many bit spare part free agents that will nullify the draft pick

Thus I question more, releasing NRC and others, for if they are not replaced by draft picks or other released players, it a balance sheet problem, and I question releasing Colton, if they then re-sign him, did that result in a negative one balance? (if it did not, then great)

The bottom line is I get the business decisions involved in letting Gilmore, Woods, Zach walk (though I wish like Gilmore we had at least made Woods and Zach offers) but it can end up being a plus long term for our Bills if we get 3 high comp picks in 2018, assuming DW and his staff don't mess it up, which is of real concern, because in the the past our management of comp picks has not been good

jc