Player celebrations

Yav

While I have a break in work I was thinking back to the 90's and the players. Thurman Thomas to be specific.

I think it was during his HOF speech he said, when he scored his first touchdown he did a dance or something and when he got back to the sidelines Marv told him to act like he's been there. From that moment on I don't remember Thurman celebrating.

Today players celebrate everything. First downs, sacks, a simple catch and touchdowns are larger celebrations.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the celebrating.

How does everyone else feel?

Could you imaging your co-worker in the next cube over celebrating sending an email successfully?

I think celebration and dances are, while petty, are great for the fans. Give fans a chance to cheer, and enjoy their team. Just like (going back awhile) when Chad Johnson started handing out autographed memorabilia to the fans out of a Christmas stocking, or T.O. signing the football, etc.

When something is pretty much all for the fans, and the fans pay for everything, what's wrong with that. I think sometimes the NFL forgets who's actually paying for all this.

I like it best when players don't celebrate at all, or very little. Like Thurman Thomas used to do. Luckily these days I have the DVR to blast through the silly celebrations (and commercials).

Edited by T-Bomb

I think celebration and dances are, while petty, are great for the fans. Give fans a chance to cheer, and enjoy their team. Just like (going back awhile) when Chad Johnson started handing out autographed memorabilia to the fans out of a Christmas stocking, or T.O. signing the football, etc.

When something is pretty much all for the fans, and the fans pay for everything, what's wrong with that. I think sometimes the NFL forgets who's actually paying for all this.

Thats an interesting way to look at it. I know the celebrations are personal preference, I could do with out most of them.

Its interesting that you say that about the fans. I caught an interview with someone from ESPN (a laywer) I don't remember who he was or what he exactly did but I was driving when I caught the interview. Anyway, he went on to say the NFL knows that ticket sales at the games don't really matter. They make their money off the TV deals and the NFL knows the fans really don't matter. I thought that was odd and interesting. If that really is the case then why not build the stadiums smaller? If ticket sales aren't really big then why not make smaller stadiums?

Sorry, that was off topic.

As far as celebrations go, the TD celebrations don't really bother me as long as they are in good taste, but the catching a ball for a first down is a bit over the top in my opinion.

I most of the time like the celebrations as long as they aren't over the top, When Merriman did his sack dance I have to admit I would get pumped up, I like when they do the feed me more after a sack. On Offense spinning the ball and acting like they are warming their hands up around the camp fire is funny as hell. I just don't like the ones like Ocho Cinco wearing a HOF jacket, or Owens and the pom poms/sharpie thing, Joe Horn and the cell phone those are what makes it ridiculous.

Sometimes players celebrate at bad times, but in general, I don't have a problem with it. I would prefer an "act like you've been there before" approach from players on my favorite team, but I understand why players like to celebrate. They are stars, and the landscape has changed quite a bit since the '80s.

I believe the league is reviewing celebrations, and may show more leniency towards little stuff, but that's basically born out of fan "outrage" of eexcessive penalties for celebrations.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Since we can't figure out how to do extra points, I propose the following:

1) No more kicks for extra points.

2) 2 point conversions still viable

3) Bring back team celebrations

4) If team celebration is good enough, performing team receives their "extra point."

30 second time limit on team celebration.

Edited by Joe Miner

Not this one......WR will catch a pass for a 1st down but if the DB drills him they celebrate....................even though it was a 1st down catch....ridiculous

The League is for entertainment purposes only.

Except the league gets to define 'entertainment'.

It's more show than sport anyways, let em celebrate. Just start the playclock after the score, you have 45 seconds to 'dance' and get your extra point snapped.

Stevie Johnson had some good celebrations with us. Baseball players get to celebrate, get paid ridiculous amounts of money, and eat sunflower seeds for 4hrs. NFL players spin a ball and the critics come out.

I totally agree with this...

But on the other hand Baseball popularity has been falling like a rock for generations and boredom is probably why, so I'm not sure we should take cues from them.

For the record: MLB is still the 2nd most popular sport in the USA (behind NFL), but it's lost more fans in the last 30 years than currently follow NHL, NASCAR, NBA, or NCAA Footbal (the next 4 most popular).

But your sentiment remains. Why is it so bad for NFLers to celebrate? God forbid...

While I have a break in work I was thinking back to the 90's and the players. Thurman Thomas to be specific.

I think it was during his HOF speech he said, when he scored his first touchdown he did a dance or something and when he got back to the sidelines Marv told him to act like he's been there. From that moment on I don't remember Thurman celebrating.

Today players celebrate everything. First downs, sacks, a simple catch and touchdowns are larger celebrations.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the celebrating.

How does everyone else feel?

Could you imaging your co-worker in the next cube over celebrating sending an email successfully?

The NFL is entertainment....

If my job was done in front of 60,000+ people who paid to see me do it, plus potentially millions more watching me on tv, I would probably celebrate a lot more when I did something well. Likewise, if I plunk down $100+ for a ticket, I don't really want the players to seem disinterested. Some fans prefer the players to be super-intense "warriors", and that's fine, but I prefer to see guys enjoying themselves while playing a game - assuming they're doing well. And god forbid a guy celebrates with his teammate - what will we tell the children?!

The only thing I was ever okay with penalizing was the use of props. It was cool when TO had the sharpie in his sock, but then lame copycats like Joe Horn were inspired to come around with dumb cell phone acts. Not a fan. But I do think they should be allowed to use the ball as a prop again.