The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

Love or hate his politics, there isn't a better war correspondent working today than Jeremy. You don't/shouldn't agree with everything he says, but he's always worth a listen and read.

Why go to the middleman? Just read RT directly

Trump on pace to surpass 8 years of Obama's travel spending in 1 year
Donald Trump's travel to his private club in Florida has cost over an estimated $20 million in his first 80 days as president, putting the president on pace in his first year of office to surpass former President Barack Obama's spending on travel for his entire eight years.
Not only does Trump travel frequently, but New York City officials have said it costs between $127,000 to $146,000 a day to protect first lady Melania Trump when she is in New York and the president is not there.
"The habitual vacationer, @BarackObama, is now in Hawaii. This vacation is costing taxpayers $4 milion +++ while there is 20% unemployment," Trump tweeted in 2011 with an incorrect unemployment figure.
Trump later tweeted: "President @BarackObama's vacation is costing taxpayers millions of dollars——Unbelievable!"
hypocrisy ?

The comical hypocrisy is on this board...8 years of snowflaking about BO and his vacations and golf...likely THOUSANDS of posts by the regulars.....you make the above post...with DT on pace to break all vacation and golf records by factors of 10...him and his wife essentially separated with taxpayer paying $150k a day for TT in NYC......and all this and the regulars here won't even acknowledge this.....shows one how relevant their takes are....

I do read RT.

Gotta read both sides of the spectrum. Otherwise you'll never see the spin.

Only someone who lacks the courage of their own convictions is afraid to read sources which challenge them. ;)

It's one thing to read the "other side" to see the spin, but when it is blatantly constant BS, not really worth the time.

I trust you've read PressTv?

It's one thing to read the "other side" to see the spin, but when it is blatantly constant BS, not really worth the time.

I trust you've read PressTv?

RT and Pravda are state sponsored media outlets. There's no danger in reading them if you're looking to remain informed about the whole picture rather than the ones coming from our own state sponsored media outlets. The only danger comes in reading them without knowing they're state sponsored... which is a standard that should also be applied to various US media outlets (Washpo, NYT, LA Times, CNN, et al).

But anyone claiming that it's pointless to read information coming from outside the western echo chambers (or their partisan echo chambers) is pushing ignorance.

We're in the middle of an information war - the only way through is to use your own discernment. By limiting yourself to certain sources, you're limiting your own ability to discern the truth from the spin.

I know PressTV is Iranian, that's about it. I don't think I've read any of their stuff on the regular.

RT and Pravda are state sponsored media outlets. There's no danger in reading them if you're looking to remain informed about the whole picture rather than the ones coming from our own state sponsored media outlets. The only danger comes in reading them without knowing they're state sponsored... which is a standard that should also be applied to various US media outlets (Washpo, NYT, LA Times, CNN, et al).

But anyone claiming that it's pointless to read information coming from outside the western echo chambers (or their partisan echo chambers) is pushing ignorance.

We're in the middle of an information war - the only way through is to use your own discernment. By limiting yourself to certain sources, you're limiting your own ability to discern the truth from the spin.

I know PressTV is Iranian, that's about it. I don't think I've read any of their stuff on the regular.

PressTV is cute. I read them for their domestic stuff, but their international coverage is hilarious. "Iranian Navy launches new corvette based on 30-year old design in the Caspian Sea! US Navy is obsolete and doomed!"

Again, reading PressTV or RT or the Intercept doesn't make you more informed, it just makes you privy to how misinformed some sources are.

You don't need to read NYT/WAPO or whatever source to be informed but don't tell me that reading the Intercept or these highly biased sources makes you any more aware.

Again, reading PressTV or RT or the Intercept doesn't make you more informed, it just makes you privy to how misinformed some sources are.

I wonder what Greggy would say if someone's news source was a US government press release.

bush was so tactical and precise that he was able to do this after not even a year in office (I can't remember?( that he pulled this off but could not get FEMA to get water to NOLA or find any traces of weapons in Iraq?

Yeah, he was a genius or a do of us.

Population control and oil. Get with the program.

Again, reading PressTV or RT or the Intercept doesn't make you more informed...

First, the Intercept is a legit news source. They're not the same as RT, Pravda or PressTV. They have an agenda, Greenwald and Jeremy both are clear on that. They're also both accomplished reporters who do the job the way it's supposed to be done.

Second, it absolutely makes you more informed to read a wide spectrum of sources rather than pre-determining which sources are garbage and which are useful. The act of reading them alone does not, but reading them in connection to the rest of the day's news and with your own discernment is powerful. Much more powerful than letting someone else dictate to you which sources are worthy of your time and which are bunk.

The reason we've found ourselves in this current predicament, with people scared of Russian interference in our election (by using our rights to free speech and press against us) is because people have abdicated their discernment to outside authorities rather than doing the work themselves.

... it just makes you privy to how misinformed some sources are.

It certainly does this. And it's very hard to see how misinformed a lot of US sources are unless you're looking at the stories from all angles.

You don't need to read NYT/WAPO or whatever source to be informed but don't tell me that reading the Intercept or these highly biased sources makes you any more aware.

Again, reading them alone doesn't make you more informed - reading them with discernment does.

Reading them alone without using discernment, compared to avoiding them because they're from Russian sources, certainly makes you more informed than if you blindly subscribe to the theory that there's nothing of value in them.

Read everything, that's my motto.

I wonder what Greggy would say if someone's news source was a US government press release.

I've used several US government press releases in the Deep State thread. ;)

First, the Intercept is a legit news source. They're not the same as RT, Pravda or PressTV. They have an agenda, Greenwald and Jeremy both are clear on that. They're also both accomplished reporters who do the job the way it's supposed to be done.

Second, it absolutely makes you more informed to read a wide spectrum of sources rather than pre-determining which sources are garbage and which are useful. The act of reading them alone does not, but reading them in connection to the rest of the day's news and with your own discernment is powerful. Much more powerful than letting someone else dictate to you which sources are worthy of your time and which are bunk.

The reason we've found ourselves in this current predicament, with people scared of Russian interference in our election (by using our rights to free speech and press against us) is because people have abdicated their discernment to outside authorities rather than doing the work themselves.

It certainly does this. And it's very hard to see how misinformed a lot of US sources are unless you're looking at the stories from all angles.

Again, reading them alone doesn't make you more informed - reading them with discernment does.

Reading them alone without using discernment, compared to avoiding them because they're from Russian sources, certainly makes you more informed than if you blindly subscribe to the theory that there's nothing of value in them.

Read everything, that's my motto.

And yet you still don't have a !@#$ing clue.

Paul (RIP) would have whooped your ass.

The comical hypocrisy is on this board...8 years of snowflaking about BO and his vacations and golf...likely THOUSANDS of posts by the regulars.....you make the above post...with DT on pace to break all vacation and golf records by factors of 10...him and his wife essentially separated with taxpayer paying $150k a day for TT in NYC......and all this and the regulars here won't even acknowledge this.....shows one how relevant their takes are....

You should be happy. You taught us it's not important and we shouldn't care. Do be a hypocrite now about it.

Run the damn country Donald. It's what you promised us.

You should be happy. You taught us it's not important and we shouldn't care. Do be a hypocrite now about it.

What is Trump doing instead? being the hypocrite

Trump himself slammed BO for golfing too much. I guess now that the king is on his thrown it's OK now?

Beyond spending $20 million thus far on golf trips and calling them business trips he's making money for his golf courses.

I suppose you are into fake news

President Donald Trump making his seventh presidential trip this weekend to his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, government watchdogs and Democrats are once again seeing dollar signs: namely, $3 million.

That's a widely used estimate of what each journey costs taxpayers. The figure comes from a government report on a trip President Barack Obama made to Palm Beach, Florida, but the report's author tells The Associated Press that it's a mistake to apply those findings to Trump's travel.

The facts

As fate would have it, the estimate for Trump's Mar-a-Lago trips is based on a 2013 weekend golf trip Obama took to Palm Beach.

Sen. John Barrasso, a Wyoming Republican, asked the GAO to probe the Obama outing, and its report finally came out last fall.

The GAO's bottom line for that trip, not including regular White House personnel costs as well as some classified expenses, was $3.6 million. But the author of that report, Brian Lepore, says that figure shouldn't be applied to Trump's travel.

"It's hard to substitute one trip for another, even if the destination is the same," Lepore said. Each time a president travels, the Defense Department must airlift equipment such as the protective limousines, security vehicles and occasionally helicopters from various military bases around the country.

A base in Illinois is charged with moving the inventory around, and costs vary widely depending on which base it comes from, he said.

Another problem with extrapolating from the October 2016 GAO report is that it included a leg from Washington to Chicago, where Obama gave an economic speech before heading to Palm Beach for a long weekend of golf.

Obama was only in Chicago for a few hours, but costs pile up because each destination triggers the need for the Secret Service to prepare and protect the site and the Defense Department to move the equipment involved.

Another significant cost-driver, GAO noted, is the per-hour cost of military aircraft, such as the president's plane, Air Force One. So it's not just a matter of slicing off a few hundred thousand dollars to come up with the $3 million estimate.

"If you take out Chicago, that just means the equipment is going to have to come from other bases," Lepore said. Sometimes that means more money, sometimes less.

Judicial Watch arrives at its $1 million figure by estimating flight time and typical Secret Service costs, leaving out airlifting equipment such as the presidential limousines. Those costs also aren't fully included in Judicial Watch's $96 million total for Obama.

More clarity is coming, eventually.

CIA Director Destroyed Media Narrative on Trump and Intelligence Briefings

During a forum Thursday, CIA Director Mike Pompeo debunked a prevalent myth about Trump’s engagement with intelligence briefings.

“How do you describe where the relationship is between the White House and the Intelligence Community?” Pompeo was asked. “It’s fantastic,” he replied to a room full of chuckles. “No, don’t laugh, I mean that.” (video at link)

“I can only give you my observations,” said Pompeo.

“This morning at 10:30, I was in the Oval Office presenting the President his daily brief. I do it nearly every day. When I’m out of town my deputy is there, the team’s there, the Vice President is there almost every day when he’s in the country. They are voracious consumers of the product we’ve developed, they ask really hard questions — I think that’s a sign of a good relationship. I always remind people that when you stop talking, it’s not a good thing.”

“The relationship is in my sense
fantastic
(the word that I used) because the President is also completely prepared to hear things that run counter to the hypothesis.”

During the campaign, Trump famously said, “I get it [intel briefs] when I need it”, leading many to believe candidate Trump was disinterested in intel goings on.

Pompeo’s account signals a contrast between candidate Trump and President Trump.

Regardless, if what Pompeo says is true, then that’s another media meme cast to the rubbish bin.

During a forum Thursday, CIA Director Mike Pompeo debunked a prevalent myth about Trump’s engagement with intelligence briefings.

“How do you describe where the relationship is between the White House and the Intelligence Community?” Pompeo was asked. “It’s fantastic,” he replied to a room full of chuckles. “No, don’t laugh, I mean that.” (video at link)

“This morning at 10:30, I was in the Oval Office presenting the President his daily brief. I do it nearly every day. When I’m out of town my deputy is there, the team’s there, the Vice President is there almost every day when he’s in the country. They are voracious consumers of the product we’ve developed, they ask really hard questions — I think that’s a sign of a good relationship. I always remind people that when you stop talking, it’s not a good thing.”

“The relationship is in my sense
fantastic
(the word that I used) because the President is also completely prepared to hear things that run counter to the hypothesis.”

During the campaign, Trump famously said, “I get it [intel briefs] when I need it”, leading many to believe candidate Trump was disinterested in intel goings on.

Pompeo’s account signals a contrast between candidate Trump and President Trump.

Regardless, if what Pompeo says is true, then that’s another media meme cast to the rubbish bin.

Fake news. Won't see this on Facebook.

Eight years of Barry taking his family on separate vacations every other weekend, but NOW the left is counting the money? :lol:

Is it any wonder all they're left in charge of are Detroit and the Greater Macungie Utilities Commission.

The right counted all the times BO went golfing and complained about it, like it or not they are allowed to use the same ammo and toss it back.

Otherwise who's the hypocrite?

Unless you are a fan of your tax money paying the 17 golf trips on in only 100 says. 62 for the calendar year, 250 for this term.

you want to read some scary stuff from fellow republicans?

https://twitter.com/RoguePOTUSStaff

you'll even see tweets from @theRealDonaldTrump there

“The relationship is in my sense fantastic (the word that I used) because the President is also completely prepared to hear things that run counter to the hypothesis.”

Oh yes, we all believe Trump isn't ignorant and a bore now. (Rolls eyes)

THIS IS CNN: US military defends dropping ‘mother of all bombs’ on ISIS in Afghanistan.

CNN has been running with that headline all day.

But a bunch of terrorists are dead,

a weapons cache destroyed,

a cave tunnel hideout made useless,

no civilians killed,

no American or allied casualties.

What is there to defend ? ?

This was a textbook perfect case of Mission Accomplished.

Edited by B-Man

:lol:

Hiring Anti-Trump Conservative Is Part Of New York Times’ Effort To Expand Opinion

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bret-stephens-new-york-times_us_58f12c80e4b0b9e9848bed3e?aaw&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam

Seeking diversity............................. NYT editorial page wants anti-Trump opinion from left......... right............ and center.

Are-You-Paying-Attention-300x336.jpg Liberals just cannot learn from 2016

Edited by B-Man

Hiring Anti-Trump Conservative Is Part Of New York Times’ Effort To Expand Opinion

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bret-stephens-new-york-times_us_58f12c80e4b0b9e9848bed3e?aaw&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam

Seeking diversity............................. NYT editorial page wants anti-Trump opinion from left......... right............ and center.

Are-You-Paying-Attention-300x336.jpg Liberals just cannot learn from 2016

That article is hilarious. It's written as some sort of serious coverage, yet, the premise is: "Let's go to the place who voted for Trump the most, and show how it's going to hurt them". That would be like me going to Chicago to investigate the effect of gun control laws. In both cases, you already know what you're going to find, so...why pretend it's "insightful journalism", and that "they are just following the story"? Easy. Because often times leftists aren't even aware how biased they are. This is because: below average IQ leading to an utter lack of self-awareness. Thought must come before compassion. Ask any Buddhist.

I wonder if we will see a follow-up story in a year? How about 2? What if Trump does what I think he will, and Wyoming Country prospers? Just a little, perhaps(because NYS, and despite Trump's best efforts)? What if the number of food bank customers is cut in half? What does that do to the budget? What if Health care gets fixed and upstate NY counties don't keep having to pay for downstate Medicaid? NY == only state in the union where this happens...and...conveniently left out of the article?

Why? All this talk of county budgets, and no mention of that fact? If Wyoming County was suddenly cut loose from having to subsidize Medicaid, via Federal Law? 2 things: Cuomo and every other down-state D would have a major problem on their hands, of their own creation, and they'd have to solve it...down-state. Wyoming County's budget would rocket to a surplus. They could afford 5 food banks, new snowplows, all sorts of stuff.

-------

Also hilarious: not a single leftist article goes by where they can't stop talking about Trump's "controversial" tweets. My God does the media hate that Trump gets his message out unfiltered. They hate it that his tweets represent a existential threat to them. Who needs them if you can get what the POTUS thinks, directly on your handheld? The media has to cover it, every time he does it. :lol: So, the conversation, and the premise, always begins at a time and topic of Trump's choosing thus, the media always begins on the defensive.

But, most importantly, and this matters far more to these hacks than anything, even their paychecks: Trump tweets mock and then eradicate their unearned power.

They expected to have power coming out of college, just handed to them: as the media. Now? They actually have to earn it. As I've said for years, the internet is the best thing that happened to the media, and yeah, there's going to be some growing and some bad reporting on all sides, but, in the long term it's going to remove the 1st Amendment hiding place from the left, by giving that hiding place to everybody.

Trump Tweeting is just a side-outcome of a much larger change.

That article is hilarious. It's written as some sort of serious coverage, yet, the premise is: "Let's go to the place who voted for Trump the most, and show how it's going to hurt them". That would be like me going to Chicago to investigate the effect of gun control laws. In both cases, you already know what you're going to find, so...why pretend it's "insightful journalism", and that "they are just following the story"? Easy. Because often times leftists aren't even aware how biased they are. This is because: below average IQ leading to an utter lack of self-awareness. Thought must come before compassion. Ask any Buddhist.

I wonder if we will see a follow-up story in a year? How about 2? What if Trump does what I think he will, and Wyoming Country prospers? Just a little, perhaps(because NYS, and despite Trump's best efforts)? What if the number of food bank customers is cut in half? What does that do to the budget? What if Health care gets fixed and upstate NY counties don't keep having to pay for downstate Medicaid? NY == only state in the union where this happens...and...conveniently left out of the article?

Why? All this talk of county budgets, and no mention of that fact? If Wyoming County was suddenly cut loose from having to subsidize Medicaid, via Federal Law? 2 things: Cuomo and every other down-state D would have a major problem on their hands, of their own creation, and they'd have to solve it...down-state. Wyoming County's budget would rocket to a surplus. They could afford 5 food banks, new snowplows, all sorts of stuff.

-------

Also hilarious: not a single leftist article goes by where they can't stop talking about Trump's "controversial" tweets. My God does the media hate that Trump gets his message out unfiltered. They hate it that his tweets represent a existential threat to them. Who needs them if you can get what the POTUS thinks, directly on your handheld? The media has to cover it, every time he does it. :lol: So, the conversation, and the premise, always begins at a time and topic of Trump's choosing thus, the media always begins on the defensive.

But, most importantly, and this matters far more to these hacks than anything, even their paychecks: Trump tweets mock and then eradicate their unearned power.

They expected to have power coming out of college, just handed to them: as the media. Now? They actually have to earn it. As I've said for years, the internet is the best thing that happened to the media, and yeah, there's going to be some growing and some bad reporting on all sides, but, in the long term it's going to remove the 1st Amendment hiding place from the left, by giving that hiding place to everybody.

Umm - pretty sure this is incorrect...

Any way - if it was so they could afford FIVE NEW FOOD BANKS....what further cementing "liberal policies" like hand outs....huh ...what?

No - what is effing hysterical is the Bnews genius of totally spoofing the Trump voter at the hand out-out line - Well Played....

-------

The print version of this on the front page of the paper has a picture of a guy, says his name, and "loads boxes of free food into his car at the monthly food pantry in Perry"

Do you think if this was an inner city food pantry that they would use the same wording?

BREAKING: AP Edits Fresno Killer To Erase Islam Reference, Implicate God

For comparison, here is how a local ABC affiliate reported on the story:

A gunman who walked through Fresno randomly shooting and killing three men screamed “Allahu Akbar” while being taken into custody, according to authorities.

Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said 39-year-old Kori Ali Muhammad first opened fire on a passenger inside a PG&E truck in the 300 block of North Van Ness Boulevard at about

10:45 a.m.

Now, look at how the Associated Press manipulated tweeted it:

8z9FImcv_normal.pngThe Associated Press

Fresno police say suspect in triple slaying told them he hates white people, shouted "God is great" before killings. http://apne.ws/2o0DdZT

Are they serious? Who are they to translate what he actually shouted?

He chose his words, that specific phrase, for a reason............... And you know what? So did the AP.

It’s not even an exact translation, by the way. And why would they do this? Hmm, what a mystery.

Changing “allahu akbar” to “god is great” isn’t a matter of Arabic to English.

It’s not really a translation at all. It’s a diversion. It’s political correctness. It’s liberal left machination meant to paint religion as guilty while simultaneously easing the burden of guilt on Islam.

It’s not a news report, in other words. It’s propaganda.

BRUTAL! Mike Pence Wins Staredown with CNN #VeryFakeNews Reporter (Video)

From Comments,

She didn't ask a question, she made a statement. She was waiting for him to bite on her unspoken questions hoping he'd say something that could be quoted and twisted. But, no, he waited for a real question and didn't start volunteering info.
That's how the media must be handled. They consider him their enemy no matter how politely they speak or how pleasantly they smile.

Baghdad Bob, one of the original memes. I had so much fun with with that meme back in the day.

Funny, I was just reading about the 3ID's march to Baghdad. Apparently, Baghdad Bob honestly believed what he was saying, because 3ID bypassed all the cities and only sent battalion-sized raids into them (raid leaves, the Iraqi's think "Hey, we fought them off!" not realizing they were just raids and the TF's never intended to stay.) They didn't realize they were getting their asses kicked until the last day of the invasion, when 3ID parked an armored battalion on the front lawn of Saddam's palace.

Baghdad Bob was never lying. He believed everything he said. They were just that clueless.

Which really makes him the perfect analogy for the DNC chair.

Funny, I was just reading about the 3ID's march to Baghdad. Apparently, Baghdad Bob honestly believed what he was saying, because 3ID bypassed all the cities and only sent battalion-sized raids into them (raid leaves, the Iraqi's think "Hey, we fought them off!" not realizing they were just raids and the TF's never intended to stay.) They didn't realize they were getting their asses kicked until the last day of the invasion, when 3ID parked an armored battalion on the front lawn of Saddam's palace.

Baghdad Bob was never lying. He believed everything he said. They were just that clueless.

Which really makes him the perfect analogy for the DNC chair.

Sounds a lot more like Trump, actually.