Bills look more likely to keep TT - working on restructure

YoloinOhio

Why do we expect a top 5 D? This D fell TWENTY SPOTS under RR......A D that ranked 10th would have gotten us into the playoffs this year

This is exactly the problem. The Bills strength when they had a top 5 defense was their defensive line. Now that is no longer a strength, linebackers look weak, secondary is a mess. But we are supposed to be top 5 because Rex is gone?

Yes, Rex created problems with his 3-4 scheme. But you are not acknowledging that 3-4 years is a long time in the NFL. Mario has not been replaced. Shaq is not Mario. You can hope he is good but he has shown nothing yet. Kyle is older. Where is your time machine? You are going to tag Gilmore? And you're going to pay Tyrod?!

I think you need to realize this football team doesn't exist in a vacuum. There is a salary cap and you have cycles. The Bills are headed down due to upcoming free agent losses and young players leaving. Your Tyrod is no longer cheap. You assume a steady state where next year the 2014 Bills defense meets the 2016 Bills offense. That is a fantasy.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly the problem. The Bills strength when they had a top 5 defense was their defensive line. Now that is no longer a strength, linebackers look weak, secondary is a mess. But we are supposed to be top 5 because Rex is gone?

Yes, Rex created problems with his 3-4 scheme. But you are not acknowledging that 3-4 years is a long time in the NFL. Mario has not been replaced. Shaq is not Mario. You can hope he is good but he has shown nothing yet. Kyle is older. Where is your time machine? You are going to tag Gilmore? And you're going to pay Tyrod?!

I think you need to realize this football team doesn't exist in a vacuum. There is a salary cap and you have cycles. The Bills are headed down due to upcoming free agent losses and young players leaving. Your Tyrod is no longer cheap. You assume a steady state where next year the 2014 Bills defense meets the 2016 Bills offense. That is a fantasy.

You can't get through to him. He is the ultimate Tyrod fanboy. He threw every Bill under the bus all season long to make excuses for Tyrod's failures.

I understand where you're coming from. And I get that removing Hughes from the roster probably would result in a big cap hit. But I still wonder whether, say, 60% of the 2016 Alexander would be better than 100% of the 2017 Hughes. It's at least worth thinking about.

Hughes needs to improve , no doubt. But can't see Alexander as a suitable replacement.

John thinks McDermott means it's a 2014 time machine with McCoy and TT added. It ain't.

Our best player from 2014 is an inch from retirement, our second best is a pot smoking idiot about to suspended for the millionth time, and our third is ancient.

John thinks McDermott means it's a 2014 time machine with McCoy and TT added. It ain't.

Our best player from 2014 is an inch from retirement, our second best is a pot smoking idiot about to suspended for the millionth time, and our third is ancient.

Not to mention taking away Aaron Williams and Searcy while Corey Graham is also much older and just about done now.

Gilmore was dirt cheap years ago, now he wants 15 million.

The Bills haven't replaced the talent from 2014.

I'm surprised Landry Jones isnt getting talked about as a potential Tyrod replacement. 4 years backing up Big Ben, looked pretty good last year when he played. Polian thought he was best QB in 2013 draft. I'm sure he'd come here for cheap if he thinks he's gonna start here. Similar situation to Tyrod in 2015.

Not to mention taking away Aaron Williams and Searcy while Corey Graham is also much older and just about done now.

Gilmore was dirt cheap years ago, now he wants 15 million.

The Bills haven't replaced the talent from 2014.

Yep. We have no All-Pro player who is the second best in the NFL in his position like Mario. He absolutely fell off, but he was dominant in 2014. Shaq ain't getting 14.5 sacks or setting the edge like him.

Yep. We have no All-Pro player who is the second best in the NFL in his position like Mario. He absolutely fell off, but he was dominant in 2014. Shaq ain't getting 14.5 sacks or setting the edge like him.

Can you guarantee this? Or are you just talking out of a place of ignorance?

Can you guarantee this? Or are you just talking out of a place of ignorance?

I am very confident Shaq will not play at an All-Pro Mario Williams 2014 level in 2017.

As if having that opinion makes me ignorant.

Edited by FireChan

I am very confident Shaq will not play at an All-Pro Mario Williams 2014 level in 2017.

As if having that opinion makes me ignorant.

I'm one of the biggest Shaq fans on this board and I don't think Shaq is likely to be as good as 2014 Mario in 2017. He might be pretty close as an edge setter... but he isn't as naturally a talented pass rusher as Mario in the first place. If Shaq is in that 8-10 sack range in 2017 that will suggest he has had a very good 2nd year.

Dude what?

Alexanders like 35 YO. Hughes is in his prime. It would make little sense to do something like this.

I don't know about you, but to me hughes's prime wasn't all that impressive in the second half of last year. Alexander was the better player, and it wasn't even close. Your point about age is well taken, but the cost/benefit analysis is worth at least thinking about. Edited by BuffaloPowerEye

It DOES sound like a fairly safe assumption ND. Mario was a fantastic player until he fell off the planet.

It's a safe assumption, but not a guarantee. Please keep in mind the person to whom the comment was directed. You can state a widely held conclusion (x is a bad player) and he will take the opposite stance just to try and waste your time making you prove something that is obvious.