Bills look more likely to keep TT - working on restructure

YoloinOhio

I think that it depends on the guy. I absolutely don't think that 90% of personnel people would rank Alex Smith ahead of him. He has played better football over the last 2 years than Smith ever has. Smith has never eclipsed 24 TDs in a season in his career. Tyrod averages 26 per 16 games in a Bills unifrom. Tyrod averages more yards a game, has a higher TD %, a lower INT %, has a higher QB rating and a better QBR. I do not for 1 second believe that 90% of the people that do this for a living would prefer Smith.

#spinzone

Are we extrapolating TT and not Alex Smith here?

Please go back to when there was a 3 way competition for qb of this team

What were the expectations? We had come off a top 5 defense and the year before that set a NFL sack record

All we were looking for was a "game manager" because our D was great......everyone was expecting cassel to take it but TT ended up emerging.....we were actally pleasantly suprised when he ended up being better then anticipated for a late round backup qb sitting behind flacco

And the defense fell off the earth

Our offense was not "bad" it was 7th in the league in scoring points....if ANYTHING it overperformed expectations

the the overperforming BECAME the expectation.....and all of a sudden people are just expecting the D to suck

that was NEVER supposed to be the philosophy of the team.

Now....its a new day.....but once again we have hired a DC as our HC with a record of (prior to last year) consistant D in the top 10 with the panthers....they haired a OC in Dennyson who came from the same philosphy of a team......dominant D, run the ball....(Denver's pass catching core much better)

Do you see where I am going with this? Regardless of who is the qb of the team we are still running along the same philosphy as the past

Irrelevant to where we are today.

What are the worst 3 positions on the offenses starting 11?

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#spinzone

Are we extrapolating TT and not Alex Smith here?

Irrelevant to where we are today.

What are the worst 3 positions on the offenses starting 11?

That it is irrelevent is up for debate because we have brand new coaches and they are being very tightlipped as of right now.

They might value a game manager that doesnt lose games for you....or....maybe they are looking to throw for 300 yards a game

right now we simply dont know....their actions in personel will show us what their intentions are soon

I think that it depends on the guy. I absolutely don't think that 90% of personnel people would rank Alex Smith ahead of him. He has played better football over the last 2 years than Smith ever has. Smith has never eclipsed 24 TDs in a season in his career. Tyrod averages 26 per 16 games in a Bills unifrom. Tyrod averages more yards a game, has a higher TD %, a lower INT %, has a higher QB rating and a better QBR. I do not for 1 second believe that 90% of the people that do this for a living would prefer Smith.

I think 100% would take Smith at 1 year $13m nonguaranteed, over Tyrod at $30m guaranteed. There's not that much difference between the 2, but Smith at least has a playoff pedigree That is still an unknown with Tyrod. Similar contracts, I think 80% pick Smith. Nobody is giving Tyrod more than $15m guaranteed if Bills cut him. Basically 1 year of starter money.

I think 100% would take Smith at 1 year $13m nonguaranteed, over Tyrod at $30m guaranteed. There's not that much difference between the 2, but Smith at least has a playoff pedigree That is still an unknown with Tyrod. Similar contracts, I think 80% pick Smith. Nobody is giving Tyrod more than $15m guaranteed if Bills cut him. Basically 1 year of starter money.

Smith would just be a needless bandaid who would probably add insult to injury by winning enough games to take the Bills out of the running for one of the franchise QBs in the 2018 draft. Better to go with Jones and see if they have that franchise QB already on their roster. Given the hard schedule, if Jones doesn't show promise the Bills will have a high pick and probably a very good chance at finding their franchise QB in the 2018 draft.

Edited by 1billsfan

Ugh, too many Tyrod topics, posted this in the wrong one at first...

So, I pulled all below info from ProFootballReference's 2016 NFL Passing Stats.

I just wanted to see how bad Tyrod really was strictly as a passer, without even factoring the ground game into it. I'll list his ranking among all qualifying QBs in the stats that are relevant.

Attempts: 25th (436)

Completion %: 19th (61.7%)

Passing Yards: 25th (3,023)

Passing TDs: 24th (17)

TD%: 18th (3.9%)

INT%: 8th (1.4%)

Yards per Attempt: 21st (6.9)

QB Rating: 18th (89.7)

QBR: 9th (68.2)

ANY/A: 18th (6.07)

So in 2016 his worst ranking was 25th, for total attempts and total yards. Otherwise it would appear he was basically the 18th or 19th best QB going strictly by passing stats. Also, since a few seem to think he sucked in '15 as well even when he had more weapons healthy: (link)

Attempts: 24th (380)

Completion %: 16th (63.7%)

Passing Yards: 23rd (3,035)

Passing TDs: 21st (20)

TD%: 13th (5.3%)

INT%: 5th (1.6%)

Yards per Attempt: 5th (8.0)

QB Rating: 7th (99.4)

QBR: 7th (67.84)

ANY/A: 9th (7.10)

If you take both years into account, he's roughly average. If you only focus on 2016 (a year in which he lost 3 out of 4 of his top receivers), then yeah, he's in the lower end of starters. I personally take both years into account, but it seems a lot of people around here are only focused on 2016 for whatever reason.

John Miller isn't the 20th best RG in the league, IYO?

John Miller is a good run blocker and a not good pass blocker. He's young and learning, but that's not an excuse to say he's better than anyone else. In a couple years he may be, but this past year he was not. I am definitely concerned with his transition to the new system, but trying to be optimistic about it.

If you take both years into account, he's roughly average. If you only focus on 2016 (a year in which he lost 3 out of 4 of his top receivers), then yeah, he's in the lower end of starters. I personally take both years into account, but it seems a lot of people around here are only focused on 2016 for whatever reason.

Right because injuries don't happen to other teams.

John Miller is a good run blocker and a not good pass blocker. He's young and learning, but that's not an excuse to say he's better than anyone else. In a couple years he may be, but this past year he was not. I am definitely concerned with his transition to the new system, but trying to be optimistic about it.

I still think he's around 20.

I still think he's around 20.

And as we've been over, I think Tyrod is around 18th, which is better than 20 :P

Let's put it this way: Tyrod is as good at running as Miller is at run blocking, but Tyrod is better at passing than Miller is at pass blocking. All imo based on my observations, of course.

And as we've been over, I think Tyrod is around 18th, which is better than 20 :P

Let's put it this way: Tyrod is as good at running as Miller is at run blocking, but Tyrod is better at passing than Miller is at pass blocking. All imo based on my observations, of course.

Fair enough, you've wriggled out of that one.

What are the 5 worst positions on our starting 11 on O relative to the league? :lol:

Edited by FireChan

All of the stats produced for Tyrod Taylor doesn't show the numerous amount of plays he left on the field

And the stats produced for other QBs do show plays left on the field? Or is Tyrod the only QB in the league who sometimes doesn't see open receivers?

Right because injuries don't happen to other teams.

I didn't suggest that.

Teams and players have up/down years depending on what happens around them. The absolute greats aren't impacted by them (Brady, for example), the middle of the pack guys, most definitely are. It's not rocket science.

I could start at QB and we're not getting #1 overall. The browns are drafting garret this year, and will be the worst team in the league.

It was like arizona trying to tank with buffalo... Buffalo was fully committed. Goalie makes 30 saves? He's on a plane headed to dallas the next day.

We're not catching the browns for this pick.

If the Bills are convinced the Browns will have the #1 pick then they should make a trade with them getting their #1 next year.

Lol @full rebuild if Mr 7-9 leaves town.

Mr 7-9 (and his brother) already left town...

Lol @full stupid thought process of yours that the team record is solely on the shoulders of Taylor.

Mr 7-9 is still posting so whether he leaves town or not does not matter.

He only started because of injury. The same injury-plagued QB everyone is clamoring for.

No not everyone. You use that word a lot. I think you do not know what it means.