Romo to KC rumor could make Bills landing spot for A. Smith

YoloinOhio

@chiefsinsider

Romo to KC chatter has picked up significantly since Peter King's MMQB piece this morning. I'd say now at 50/50 up from 10/90 per my spies.

If Tony Romo deal gets done with KC, told Smith landing spots include #49ers, #Jets & #Bills Also, Nick Foles hopes to stay with #Chiefs.

I'm in no way stating it's a good idea but it has legs despite soon to be denials from KC on the rumor.

Just rumblings right now. I'd say it's good intel. Now Will it happen? Far from certain. This is #Chiefs after all!

@jumosq

Alex Smith's due a roster bonus on 3/11, so this can't wait forever. Kansas City is 30th in the league with just $4 million in cap space ATM

Jet and niners are a wreck so Bills would be more likely. Smith is not the big play threat TT is but he knows how to read a defense and use the whole field of play. he will be a good bridge QB for our next (hopefully) franchise QB and in the long run could be the safer option with Romo's injury history.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Alex Smith's "losses" in the playoffs: one in OT in the NFC championship game to NYG when a punted ball glanced off the shin of the sf punt returner, one to Indy after he did his job but the KC defense got shredded (plus one of his rbs dropped a sure 45 td pass late that would have sealed the game), one in NE against a SB-winning pats team (27-20), and one after a failed 2p conversion to Pitt (after a penalty that negated the tie).

Sounds more like bad luck to me, but the "qb wins and losses" crowd probably feels differently. Given how he has been snakebitten, he's a perfect Bill.

For those same folks, though, his qb "record" since 2011 is 60-25-1.

Alex Smith has a lot of good traits. He is smart and knows how to read defenses. He uses the whole field when passing. He doesn't have a gun for an arm, although it is adequate. He is accurate in the short and medium passing game. As K-9 pointed out he is suited for the WCO.

My main concern with him is that he too quickly resorts to throwing underneath and make the safe play without willing to take risks throwing it downfield. He seems to be afflicted with the "Trent Edwards" cautious syndrome that limits his game. If he can cut it loose a little more and not be so reluctant to at times force it he could be a viable option if TT departs.

I can go either way on Smith.

On one hand he struggled for a long time. He has had his best success when being coached by Harbaugh and Reid. Two great QB focused HQ.

Smith would be an upgrade from TT in the sense he can distribute the ball and read a D better, IF he is the Alex Smith from the past 5 years.

No reason it shouldn't, we are running the WCO and Dennison has had good success with QBs in that system.

Re: Alex Smith's "losses" in the playoffs: one in OT in the NFC championship game to NYG when a punted ball glanced off the shin of the sf punt returner, one to Indy after he did his job but the KC defense got shredded (plus one of his rbs dropped a sure 45 td pass late that would have sealed the game), one in NE against a SB-winning pats team (27-20), and one after a failed 2p conversion to Pitt (after a penalty that negated the tie).

Sounds more like bad luck to me, but the "qb wins and losses" crowd probably feels differently. Given how he has been snakebitten, he's a perfect Bill.

For those same folks, though, his qb "record" since 2011 is 60-25-1.

The giants game it was after 49ers beat the saints in a game to watch for those that says "A. Smith can't win in playoffs"

Jet and niners are a wreck so Bills would be more likely. Smith is not the big play threat TT is but he knows how to read a defense and use the whole field of play. he will be a good bridge QB for our next (hopefully) franchise QB and in the long run could be the safer option with Romo's injury history.

unless he still has some SF love

If we keep him, I hope he keeps improving, I have my seriuos doubts about it, though. I think he has already shown his ceiling.

Keeps improving ? He regressed in 2016 compared to 2015

My main concern with him is that he too quickly resorts to throwing underneath and make the safe play without willing to take risks throwing it downfield. He seems to be afflicted with the "Trent Edwards" cautious syndrome that limits his game. If he can cut it loose a little more and not be so reluctant to at times force it he could be a viable option if TT departs.

Dont expect him to change. He will be exactly what he has been for the past 3-4 years. Which is not all that bad but if the Bills get him, it wll be for his demonstrated skills and not a hope of magical deep game. Aint going to happen.

What you will get compared to TT is a more consistent game, better pass spread. What you lose is the threat of the deep ball and the long runs. Smith can scramble so he isnt a total statue but running game will suffer.

In my mind, it will come down to money. If we somehow get Smith for a 2 year deal which is less costly than TT's, we should get him. Perfect bridge QB, IMHO.

He's been doing this for years. It probably won't change. He's no better than Tyrod. Just different in some ways. But ultimately, he needs a great D and running game w/Special Teams doing well to be a part of an effective team. IF the Bills decide to let TT walk, and can't get Romo, I'd rather they draft a guy and let him fight it out with Cardale.

Nobody will confuse Alex Smith with Tom Brandy but if the Bills can upgrade from Taylor that is a big win for them. Taylor is nothing more then a gimmick qb . I know he makes some flashy plays from time to time. That said, there are too many times series where he gets nothing done. He can't complete easy throws. He doesn't see the field well and he holds the ball forever.

ABT

@chiefsinsider

Romo to KC chatter has picked up significantly since Peter King's MMQB piece this morning. I'd say now at 50/50 up from 10/90 per my spies.

If Tony Romo deal gets done with KC, told Smith landing spots include #49ers, #Jets & #Bills Also, Nick Foles hopes to stay with #Chiefs.

I'm in no way stating it's a good idea but it has legs despite soon to be denials from KC on the rumor.

Just rumblings right now. I'd say it's good intel. Now Will it happen? Far from certain. This is #Chiefs after all!

@jumosq

Alex Smith's due a roster bonus on 3/11, so this can't wait forever. Kansas City is 30th in the league with just $4 million in cap space ATM

In Kansas City, Andy Reid has seen the ceiling of Alex Smith, and it is nice. Nice, as in final eight of the NFL not as in final two. Reid has never minded upsetting the apple cart for a potentially special player. Romo would be that. Smith is mature enough to take this, to understand the addition of Romo would be good for the team. Smith wouldnt pout. Hed be a team guy. Thats why the Chiefs make sense too.

Peter King is just a giant Tweet. Read the whole article and think back to Chris Chandelier of the Falcons. Get Harvin to go with him and you have one fine Training Camp highlight reel.

I honestly cannot think of a single QB in living memory who sucked for his first 6 years and then got decent, outside of Smith. I can't say his existence disproves anything, rather that he was 1 QB in a million who bucked the trend.

Rex isn't an offensive coach. Not sure you know what you're talking about there.

Jim Plunkett

Alex Smith is a clear upgrade over TT.

Agreed. And especially since he's $10 mill cheaper than Tyrod over two years. But he's better anyway.

However, I keep drafting QBs also.

I honestly cannot think of a single QB in living memory who sucked for his first 6 years and then got decent, outside of Smith. I can't say his existence disproves anything, rather that he was 1 QB in a million who bucked the trend.

Rex isn't an offensive coach. Not sure you know what you're talking about there.

Smith was bad for five seasons, not six. And he had had five different OCs and five different systems in each of those five years. He switched systems again before his sixth year and still had a breakout season under Harbaugh / Roman.

Whereas Tyrod has only been in two offensive systems and yet he regressed last year.

Smith and TT did run the same system for those 2 years each. Want to guess who had better numbers?

Smith 426 for 653, for 4881, 30 TDs, 10 INTs, 68 sacks, 6 4th Quarter Comebacks, 6 Game-Winning Drives, 311 rush yards on 73 rushes,

- - Qualitatively: 65.2% Completions, 7.47 YPA, 4.59% TDs, 1.53% INTs, 96.53 QB rating

Tyrod 511 for 816 for 6058, 37 TDs, 12 INTs, 78 sacks, 2 4th-Quarter Comebacks, 3 Game-Winning Drives, 1148 rush yards on 199 rushes.

- - Qualitatively: 62.6% Completions, 7.42 YPA, 4.53% TDs, 1.47% INTs, 94.19 QB rating

So overall, Smith was a better passer and improved in his second year, while Tyrod was a much better runner but regressed in passing in his second year.

And you're comparing stats from 2011 and 2012 to stats from 2015 and 2016, and it's become easier to pass, so passing stats got higher during that period.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 QB's have been listed in the last 33 years who got better after 6 years of suck. May as well plan on our next 6th round pick QB being Brady, or finding the next Kurt Warner.

FC Kurt Warner is the man!!

Tyrod is alright. You hate on him wayyy too much. I bet you hes gonna get better as long as he doesnt go to the Browns. Whaley is prob gonna take Watson if he is there at 10. Mark my words.