Report: "Tyrod unwilling to take less to remain with bills"

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@rapsheet

Tyrod Taylor wont take less. Both sides open to reworking deal, cap numbershttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785278/article/real-possibility-tyrod-taylor-open-to-altered-contract?campaign=Twitter_atn

I think he is open to more money this year without the multi year guarantees. He has a big year and he is gone cause he certainly wont stay after how he has been treated. if he has a bad year we arent locked in.

@rapsheet

Tyrod Taylor wont take less. Both sides open to reworking deal, cap numbers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785278/article/real-possibility-tyrod-taylor-open-to-altered-contract?campaign=Twitter_atn

"Team's financial experts...."

I think he is open to more money this year without the multi year guarantees. He has a big year and he is gone cause he certainly wont stay after how he has been treated. if he has a bad year we arent locked in.

That would be less guaranteed money though and I don't see him taking that. He's getting $30M guaranteed somewhere.

The fact that there are so many "potential" suitors could help us in the trade avenue. A team may be willing to part with a mid round pick for Tyrod if it meant eliminating competition with other teams

A mid-round pick? If that's all they could get, it's a dumb move. The Bills would likely use it to draft someone too early (TJ Graham) or waste it on someone with off-the-field issues (S.Henderson)

"Team's financial experts...."That would be less guaranteed money though and I don't see him taking that. He's getting $30M guaranteed somewhere.

You may very well be right however my thinking is the amount of money left on the table this year will be well worth the risk if he has a big year and then becomes a free agent.

You may very well be right however my thinking is the amount of money left on the table this year will be well worth the risk if he has a big year and then becomes a free agent.

Yeah, it's not a bad strategy but he kind of did it last year. He's going to get that big chunk now while he can. He saw what Osweiler got and he stinks. TT has value in this market and will get that payday to set his family up for a long time. In your scenario the upside may very well be higher. I just think that he's worried about the downside. He may take a shorter deal with the Bills but imo guaranteed money won't go back. Edited by Kirby Jackson

How he has been treated? Wtf is wrong with people on this forum anymore?

Yeah, it's not a bad strategy but he kind of did it last year. He's going to get that big chunk now while he can. He saw what Osweiler got and he stinks. TT has value in this market and will get that payday to set his family up for a long time. In your scenario the upside may very well be higher. I just think that he's worried about the downside. He may take a shorter deal with the Bills but imthe guaranteed money won't go back.

You may be right and probably are. I am just thinking he already has enough for his lifetime if managed well. I am thinking his ego may kick in and he may see his Risk/Reward is worth it.

Yeah, it's not a bad strategy but he kind of did it last year. He's going to get that big chunk now while he can. He saw what Osweiler got and he stinks. TT has value in this market and will get that payday to set his family up for a long time. In your scenario the upside may very well be higher. I just think that he's worried about the downside. He may take a shorter deal with the Bills but imo guaranteed money won't go back.

No, Whaley did that last year. He set us up for this mess.

I was referring to TT playing on a "prove-it" deal. He played for well under market value in hopes of landing a big deal. He won't do that again this year. He will get paid.

That was his original deal in 2015, but yes, he's going for all he can get now. This is his "second contract" basically and for lots of NFLers, it's the biggest one.

That was his original deal in 2015, but yes, he's going for all he can get now. This is his "second contract" basically and for lots of NFLers, it's the biggest one.

He played for like $9M last year which is way under market value (but not as far under as 2015). You are right on the 2nd contract and often it's the last. If he played for even a one year $15M deal and got hurt or didn't play well he may have a hard time making up the difference. The NFL is so different than other sports with the contracts not guaranteed.

He played for like $9M last year which is way under market value (but not as far under as 2015). You are right on the 2nd contract and often it's the last. If he played for even a one year $15M deal and got hurt or didn't play well he may have a hard time making up the difference. The NFL is so different than other sports with the contracts not guaranteed.

Only way it can function, IMO.

Am I missing something? Nobody is reporting that the Bills actually asked Tyrod to take a pay cut, are they? Is this even a story? And of course he'd say no. I don't think the team is stupid enough to even approach him with something so obvious. He will get at least the same amount of dollars from some other team. Hell, the Jets paid Fitzpatrick around $13 million last season. Osweiler is getting $19 million.

That would be less guaranteed money though and I don't see him taking that. He's getting $30M guaranteed somewhere.

So how do we structure the deal so Tyrod gets what he wants, the Bills cap isn't killed - can we spread it over 3? He's a bridge guy over the next 2 - 3 while Cardale and this / next year's draft pics mature (unless he gets it done and gets an extension)?

So how do we structure the deal so Tyrod gets what he wants, the Bills cap isn't killed - can we spread it over 3? He's a bridge guy over the next 2 - 3 while Cardale and this / next year's draft pics mature (unless he gets it done and gets an extension)?

You lower the base salary and convert that to a signing bonus and spread it across the length of the deal. You'd essentially kick the can down the road. His $12M salary and $3.25M of his 2018 salary become guaranteed on March 11 in addition to the $15.5M option bonus. The cap hit on the option bonus is spread over the 5 years. The Bills can take other $15.5M and lower his base to like $6M with other $9.25M as a signing bonus. That would lower his cap hit now but raise it some down the road. That would give him like an $11M cap number this year. The cap hits in future years would be like $4.95M a year plus his base salary if he is on the roster. It is cumulative though. If you cut him after 2017 (you'd take a $19.8M hit), after 2018 $14.85M, after 2019 $9.9M, etc...

This all assumes that my math is right and it has been a long week.

EDIT: The most practical thing to do in this scenario is probably to raise the 2017 base and guarantee it. If you are going to keep him this year anyway, take the hit early in the deal. The only reason to do it the other way is if you think that he will be here and you want the extra cap space.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Overdorf or whoever was the brains behind Taylor's contract needs to be fired yesterday. The Bills would be in a much better position if they did nothing and let Taylor play out his original contract. They would've saved at least $6m in 2016, and this year they could franchise him for $21.5m instead of having to exercise a $27.5m option and still hold all the cards. That's a $12m mistake.

This comment. Tyrod is not gonna take a pay cut. They might re-structure to bring the cap hit down per year but thats it. Tyrod can clean up this FA. If he does go somewhere else, I hope he bring them to the playoffs just to stick it to everyone who said he couldnt do it.

I dunno - why should he? If he walks he'll still get paid pretty handsomely. He'd be the top option on the open market, and is still young.

Cousins probably isn't available. Romo requires a trade - so pieces have to move. Brees/Rivers aren't likely to happen. And there are many teams looking for upgrades.

SF

BUF

LAR

JAX

HOU

NYJ

DEN

CLE

ZONA

CHI

What's a great deal and how much can he easily get: from who?

See Comment I quoted above.

Overdorf or whoever was the brains behind Taylor's contract needs to be fired yesterday. The Bills would be in a much better position if they did nothing and let Taylor play out his original contract. They would've saved at least $6m in 2016, and this year they could franchise him for $21.5m instead of having to exercise a $27.5m option and still hold all the cards. That's a $12m mistake.

I think the rationale at the time was that they faced two tough re-signs in FA after the 2016 season........and Tyrod was the safer person at the more important position to invest in.

They probably wanted to keep the franchise tag option for the enigmatic Stephon Gilmore.

Gilmore is talented but has been too much an inconsistent competitor to award a big, long term contract.

The hope being to just buy one more year of highly motivated production while developing his replacement and let him go without a big production drop at the position..........or maybe, with luck they even see him mature into someone worthy of a long term extension.

I tend to doubt the latter happening but we've seen knuckleheads get it and become self motivated leaders who care about their legacy/reputation.

As he shouldn't. It's a great deal and he can easily get more on the open market. I don't blame him at all.

Absolutely no shot of Tyrod Taylor getting $27.5 M in cash next year from any other team but the Bills. I love how everybody says Tyrod can get the same if not more on the open market. Its not going to happen folks. Can he get a deal that has a lot of funny money on the backend that looks like the contract he has now? Absolutely. But he's not getting $27.5 M in year 1. Tyrod defines average, middle of the road, bridge QB w/e you want to call it and those QBs DO NOT get $27.5M in cash in 1 year. Any team that decides to do that is making a serious mistake.

Absolutely no shot of Tyrod Taylor getting $27.5 M in cash next year from any other team but the Bills. I love how everybody says Tyrod can get the same if not more on the open market. Its not going to happen folks. Can he get a deal that has a lot of funny money on the backend that looks like the contract he has now? Absolutely. But he's not getting $27.5 M in year 1. Tyrod defines average, middle of the road, bridge QB w/e you want to call it and those QBs DO NOT get $27.5M in cash in 1 year. Any team that decides to do that is making a serious mistake.

+1

It has nothing to do with year 1 money and everything to do with guaranteed dollars. He is currently guaranteed $30.75M if they pick up the deal. He will get that on the open market. The Bills and TT's people both know that. The cap hit currently is $15.9M in 2017 and $16.78M in 2018. The talk between the Bills and Taylor's people will be on changing the structure to alter the cap hit but not the guaranteed dollars.

The $27.5M number is really irrelevant in the conversation. FWIW, he almost certainly gets that cash next year because a signing bonus or an option bonus is paid out immediately. The cap hit is what is spread out. A roster bonus is also paid out immediately but it hits in a particular cap year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I dunno - why should he? If he walks he'll still get paid pretty handsomely. He'd be the top option on the open market, and is still young.

Cousins probably isn't available. Romo requires a trade - so pieces have to move. Brees/Rivers aren't likely to happen. And there are many teams looking for upgrades.

SF - I doubt Shannahan wants a scrambler, although he moved Matt Ryan a ton option #3

BUF

LAR -Goff is starting end of story

JAX -Bortles is back he played 2 good games under Marrone to end the year 1st round pick wont bail to early

HOU -No one has had more starting qb's than O'Brien but they are married to Osweiler cut or no cut so why Cut they will be 45 million dollars on qbs

NYJ - this would be the fit but their skill players are all over 30, Forte on a step decline and the o-line is a mess option #1

DEN- if they arent going after Romo they are sticking with their guys no Tyrod

CLE - well this would be the logical move from bad to worse and out of the league in 2 years option #2

ZONA -they are likely keeping the band together Palmer, Fitzgerald, Arrians one more run at it

CHI -Certainly want to get away from Cutler's contract not sure of their thoughts on Tyrod I would say this is option #4

27 mil in guareneteed money puts him @ 15th ish in the league. Absolutely there are teams out there that will consider him worth top 15 money. That's lump sum. Now consider that it's a five year deal, that works out to about 24th in guaranteed dollars per season. He's been invited to the probowl 2/2 years as a starter.

He will get his 30 mil somewhere

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

I think the rationale at the time was that they faced two tough re-signs in FA after the 2016 season........and Tyrod was the safer person at the more important position to invest in.

They probably wanted to keep the franchise tag option for the enigmatic Stephon Gilmore.

Gilmore is talented but has been too much an inconsistent competitor to award a big, long term contract.

The hope being to just buy one more year of highly motivated production while developing his replacement and let him go without a big production drop at the position..........or maybe, with luck they even see him mature into someone worthy of a long term extension.

I tend to doubt the latter happening but we've seen knuckleheads get it and become self motivated leaders who care about their legacy/reputation.

If you kept TT at his original contract he would be a free agent now whether the Bills wanted him or not. In order to keep him, we'd have to get in line with everyone else and pay the market rate. That's why it's really a better deal for the Bills than folks give it credit for. We can keep him for about 50% of avg NFL starter money. Edited by PromoTheRobot

If you kept TT at his original contract he would be a free agent now whether the Bills wanted him or not. In order to keep him, we'd have to get in line with everyone else and pay the market rate. That's why it's really a better deal for the Bills than folks give it credit for. We can keep him for about 50% of avg NFL starter money.

Bills could keep him this year for $21.5m if they used the franchise tag. That's a much better choice than having to commit $27m this year and another $3m in 2018. Bills could've even pulled the tag if they get the QB they want at #10. Failing to see how Taylor's contract not a huge blunder by the Bills.

Bills could keep him this year for $21.5m if they used the franchise tag. That's a much better choice than having to commit $27m this year and another $3m in 2018. Bills could've even pulled the tag if they get the QB they want at #10. Failing to see how Taylor's contract not a huge blunder by the Bills.

That is the interesting part. The only thing on that is that cap hit would prevent you from bringing back Gilmore in all likelihood. As it stands now, the Bills can have both.

That is the interesting part. The only thing on that is that cap hit would prevent you from bringing back Gilmore in all likelihood. As it stands now, the Bills can have both.

Can the Bills decline Taylor's option and then use the franchise tag on him? I was assuming that wasn't available to use but technically I guess he's a free agent if Bills decline the option. At the very least, it buys the Bills insurance until the draft.

Can the Bills decline Taylor's option and then use the franchise tag on him? I was assuming that wasn't available to use but technically I guess he's a free agent if Bills decline the option. At the very least, it buys the Bills insurance until the draft.

I would think that they can't. That would cut his guaranteed dollars by $8M plus. The NFLPA (as weak as they are) still wouldn't stand for this.

I would think that they can't. That would cut his guaranteed dollars by $8M plus. The NFLPA (as weak as they are) still wouldn't stand for this.

Maybe the transition tag would be more palatable since he'd be able to negotiate with other teams and from the Bills perspective it's only $19m. But it still buys the Bills insurance since they'd be able to match any deal and gets them out from Taylor's original deal.

Maybe the transition tag would be more palatable since he'd be able to negotiate with other teams and from the Bills perspective it's only $19m. But it still buys the Bills insurance since they'd be able to match any deal and gets them out from Taylor's original deal.

I think that the same situation would arise. What if he got 2 year 26M guaranteed? That's still less than he has. It's restructure, release or sign the current deal I think.

I think that the same situation would arise. What if he got 2 year 26M guaranteed? That's still less than he has. It's restructure, release or sign the current deal I think.

So in the words of Bob the Builder ... reduce, reuse or recycle?

Then if that's all he's gonna get on open market, Bills would be foolish not to restructure. Bills should be using all the tools available to them to get out of the stupid deal they signed Taylor to. If he's not gonna restructure the deal, then threaten to use the transition tag and see what he'll get from another team while keeping the ability to match the deal. Problem is that it's a lot harder to do this when the fools who agreed to the original deal are still in charge.

Then if that's all he's gonna get on open market, Bills would be foolish not to restructure. Bills should be using all the tools available to them to get out of the stupid deal they signed Taylor to. If he's not gonna restructure the deal, then threaten to use the transition tag and see what he'll get from another team while keeping the ability to match the deal. Problem is that it's a lot harder to do this when the fools who agreed to the original deal are still in charge.

Im saying I don't think that they are ALLOWED to tag him (for the reasons above). The Bills won't be allowed to scale back the guaranteed money. They have guaranteed him $30.75M. They have to either pay that to him or let him hit FA. I think that 3 years $45M with about $30M guaranteed is where he ends up.