TT vs Buffalo media

YoloinOhio

Hmmm

@mikerodak

Tyrod Taylor said on @ESPNRadio today he feels the Buffalo media is a very negative group and was unfair to him this past season.

Tyrod Taylor told @ESPNRadio, in essence, that the Bills offense was being blamed at the wrong times and media did not watch the film."

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm

@mikerodak

Tyrod Taylor said on @ESPNRadio today he feels the Buffalo media is a very negative group and was unfair to him this past season.

Tyrod Taylor told @ESPNRadio, in essence, that the Bills offense was being blamed at the wrong times and media did not watch the film."

It rots from the head down.

I think the Pegula's are going to have to learn that their behavior sets an example for the rest of the organization.

Spurn and be deliberately deceitful or vindictive with the media and the players think it's OK to go on the offensive as well.

Nothing good comes from it........utterly counterproductive.

If you can't even be above it don't expect your players to be.

#settingbadexample

Edited by #BADOL

Hmmm

@mikerodak

He's not wrong.

The Buffalo Media is a weird group in general (especially when it comes to football). They really aren't "football" people like in other cities. There isn't a large college football presence in Buffalo so they aren't particularly educated on prospects or their transitions to the pro game. They don't really pay a ton of attention to the rest of the league either (at least comparatively). The talk show hosts don't really understand the game. Sal is probably the exception here. This is a little bit of rambling but I guess that what I am getting at is that they don't have the depth of knowledge and understanding that people in other cities, in their positions have.

He's not wrong.

The Buffalo Media is a weird group in general (especially when it comes to football). They really aren't "football" people like in other cities. There isn't a large college football presence in Buffalo so they aren't particularly educated on prospects or their transitions to the pro game. They don't really pay a ton of attention to the rest of the league either (at least comparatively). The talk show hosts don't really understand the game. Sal is probably the exception here. This is a little bit of rambling but I guess that what I am getting at is that they don't have the depth of knowledge and understanding that people in other cities, in their positions have.

He is wrong for even acknowledging the fact that he listens to what they have to say. "I don't pay attention to any of that, I'm focused on playing quaterback for the Buffalo Bills and winning games"

Why o why can't this term learn something from the team that has dominated them for nearly two decades. No that won't make BB come coach here or Brady play here but it would lay some ground work for a winning organization.

He is wrong for even acknowledging the fact that he listens to what they have to say. "I don't pay attention to any of that, I'm focused on playing quaterback for the Buffalo Bills and winning games"

Why o why can't this term learn something from the team that has dominated them for nearly two decades. No that won't make BB come coach here or Brady play here but it would lay some ground work for a winning organization.

I don't know it's 2017 in the social media era. I don't think pretending the media doesn't exist is practical. LeBron talks about the media more than anybody and he wins plenty. I don't think that you want to get into a pissing match but I don't think that he's wrong.

He's not wrong.

When your top radio hosts are Mike Schopp and Howard Simon, what does that say? Our radio personalities are where they are mostly by inertia.

Hmmm

@mikerodak

He's not wrong.

He's not wrong. But I'm sure quite a few here will be upset about this.

This team fired the OC after letting Fitzy throw all over and embarrass the defense and the media is the one who unfairly blamed the offense?

I listen to sports talk in New Orleans all of the time and the Saints haven't been good in a few years. The conversation is about the future here, not the past.

Yeeeeahhh........about that........SB winning HC + SB winning QB = earned optimism.

Team windows are much larger now because QB's can play well for so much longer but I'd put the Saints about where the 1996 Bills were in terms of goodwill with the fans/community.

And it was all about the future here then too.

You could switch out every Buffalo media member with some brilliant :flirt: New Orleans sportstalkers and after about a season and a half they'd all be like "why shouldn't we hold these guys accountable for never winning?".

Edited by #BADOL

Yeeeeahhh........about that........SB winning HC + SB winning QB = earned optimism.

Team windows are much larger now because QB's can play well for so much longer but I'd put the Saints about where the 1996 Bills were in terms of goodwill with the fans/community.

And it was all about the future here then too.

You could switch out every Buffalo media member with some brilliant :flirt: New Orleans sportstalkers and after about a season and a half they'd all be like "why shouldn't we hold these guys accountable for never winning?".

They certainly have some goodwill still but have had some historically bad defenses and cap management. They haven't been hit at all. I mean they see the end of Brees era in the future but still are fair. Maybe it will change at some point but so far it hasn't at all. If anything the optimism is growing quite a bit.

LSU is an even better example probably. They have squandered some of the countries' top talent for far too long. Alabama has dominated them. They have playoff talent every year and play in the Citrus Bowl. If you think that the Bills have QB problems it's 50x worse in Death Valley. They still get a pass.

Some of the main talk show hosts played in the NFL or at LSU. The whole region is a football area. They played the games as kids and through high school anyways. In general, they have a much greater football understanding than Howard Simon or Mike Schopp. I was going to use NE as the example with Zolak but he's a jackass. He understands the game though.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

He's not wrong.

I agree. Sal is about the only person I feel you can believe.

Dodge the accountability for the 189 yards passing per game.

Solid play TT.

Only a fool would fail to realize he is running the plays as they are called. Don't like the offense then criticize the coordinator. Unfortunately you evidently live in a dream world where reality doesn't exist.

They certainly have some goodwill still but have had some historically bad defenses and cap management. They haven't been hit at all. I mean they see the end of Brees era in the future but still are fair. Maybe it will change at some point but so far it hasn't at all. If anything the optimism is growing quite a bit.

LSU is an even better example probably. They have squandered some of the countries top talent for far too long. Alabama has dominated them. They have playoff talent every year and play in the Citrus Bowl. If you think that the Bills have QB problems it's 50x worse in Death Valley. They still get a pass.

Some of the main talk show hosts played in the NFL or at LSU. The whole region is a football area. They played the games as kids and through high school anyways. In general, they have a much greater football understanding than Howard's Simon or Mike Schopp. I as going to use NE as the example with Zolak but he's a jackass. He understands the game though.

Yeah again the constant negativity and re-hashing of the past around the Bills only emerged LONG after every bit of goodwill had been exhausted.

25 years was a LONG f*cking time ago, dude.

People who had no kids then are grandparents in many cases now. :lol:

You are barking up the wrong tree thinking that this situation with the media in Buffalo is somehow "alien"........it's a case study in what happens when you earn no respect by constantly failing.

Saints won a SB recently and f*cking LSU won two GD national titles in past 12 years with 2 different coaches for fuxake. :lol::doh:

I'll agree, but it could be worse. The NYC media is way worse. You could win a super bowl and still get murdered by them. Bottom line, the QB is usually going to be the main fall guy when things are not going well. Your failure is the most plain to see. You get the glory but you have to take the lumps.

I think the Pegula's are going to have to learn that their behavior sets an example for the rest of the organization.

Spurn and be deliberately deceitful or vindictive with the media and the players think it's OK to go on the offensive as well.

#settingbadexample

#settingbadexample

Whoa . I think you have it backwards. The Buffalo news has been mean spirited and negative from go . The owner has wisely decided to shut them out. Why would Terry do anything for the news.

He's not wrong.

Whether he is right or wrong, so what? If he finds the tame and small number of reporters covering the team too rough then how would he handle the New York zoo crowd or the Philly hoodlum crowd of reporters.

Is the Buffalo coverage unfair when it says that he can't proficiently read defenses? I would say no. Is the Buffalo coverage unfair when it says that he doesn't make use of the center of the field as well as most other qbs in the passing game? I would say no. Is the coverage unfair when it says that he is hesitant to throw into tight coverage and too quickly resorts to running? I would say no.

When one is a qb at any level criticism is going to be disproportionately directed toward the qb, fair or not. When one is a qb at any level credit is going to be disproportionately directed toward the qb whether it is deserved or not. That's the nature of the position.

Your point that the Buffalo media people covering the team aren't as schooled is fair and true. But one of the reasons for that is that they are covering a team that has been irrelevant and boring for more than a generation. So the best and the brightest are not going to be attracted to this sinkhole of a product.

TT is a fine fellow. He is a high character guy and his work habits are exemplary. I just don't think it is smart to publicly lament one's plight with the media when overall this market has been relatively soft in its coverage of him. My advice to him is to put on the chest shield and take the slings. It goes with the territory.

He's not wrong.

I agree. The key point is they don't compare The Bills vs other teams. They seen to judge the bills and their personal against a mythical perfect organization. They also seem to forget Terry has the team for only 2 years

Whoa . I think you have it backwards. The Buffalo news has been mean spirited and negative from go . The owner has wisely decided to shut them out. Why would Terry do anything for the news.

Perhaps dave mcbride can take this softball for me I am bored of taking these fat pitches upper tank. B-)

Yeah again the constant negativity and re-hashing of the past around the Bills only emerged LONG after every bit of goodwill had been exhausted.

25 years was a LONG f*cking time ago, dude.

People who had no kids then are grandparents in many cases now. :lol:

You are barking up the wrong tree thinking that this situation with the media in Buffalo is somehow "alien"........it's a case study in what happens when you earn no respect by constantly failing.

Saints won a SB recently and f*cking LSU won two GD national titles in past 12 years with 2 different coaches for fuxake. :lol::doh:

I'm not saying that the criticism is unwarranted to be clear. I'm saying that they are especially negative and are NOT an educated group when it comes to football. They don't have a strong understanding of what's happening and in turn don't have strong opinions as to how to fix it. There is a lot of criticism on this board (for example) but with much greater depth.

In terms of LSU they won in '03 & '07 but have had the talent to have about 6 in that period. They've done less with more than any team in football. When you have 11-1 talent, 8-4 isn't impressive. They have underachieved; that's when you criticize.

The Bills defense, passing game and coaching deserved quite a bit of criticism this year. They played nowhere the level that they needed. Being critical and being negative are different. What happened in 2004 has nothing to do with this Bills team. It's different owners, personnel people, coaches and players. It's lazy to just assume "x" or "y" because that happened a while ago. Isolate the situation that you are commenting on, communicate your opinion (positive or negative) and your reasons for that opinion. "Because that's what the Bills do" isn't very good journalism.

Whether he is right or wrong, so what? If he finds the tame and small number of reporters covering the team too rough then how would he handle the New York zoo crowd or the Philly hoodlum crowd of reporters.

Is the Buffalo coverage unfair when it says that he can't proficiently read defenses? I would say no. Is the Buffalo coverage unfair when it says that he doesn't make use of the center of the field as well as most other qbs in the passing game? I would say no. Is the coverage unfair when it says that he is hesitant to throw into tight coverage and too quickly resorts to running? I would say no.

When one is a qb at any level criticism is going to be disproportionately directed toward the qb, fair or not. When one is a qb at any level credit is going to be disproportionately directed toward the qb whether it is deserved or not. That's the nature of the position.

Your point that the Buffalo media people covering the team aren't as schooled is fair and true. But one of the reasons for that is that they are covering a team that has been irrelevant and boring for more than a generation. So the best and the brightest are not going to be attracted to this sinkhole of a product.

TT is a fine fellow. He is a high character guy and his work habits are exemplary. I just don't think it is smart to publicly lament one's plight with the media when overall this market has been relatively soft in its coverage of him. My advice to him is to put on the chest shield and take the slings. It goes with the territory.

Eloquently put!

But like I said........ownership/management sets the tone and they've been very "us against the media" with their actions at a time when Tyrod is trying to fit in so it's hardly surprising that this comes up now, IMO.

Perhaps dave mcbride can take this softball for me I am bored of taking these fat pitches upper tank. B-)

The quality of writing and reporting at the news is pathetic. I applaud the Bills stance on freezing then out. The less access they get the more the boys at the news stomp their feet. The more they stomp their feet the more they are exposed.

Eloquently put!

But like I said........ownership/management sets the tone and they've been very "us against the media" with their actions at a time when Tyrod is trying to fit in so it's hardly surprising that this comes up now, IMO.

I agree. Sal is about the only person I feel you can believe.

Only a fool would fail to realize he is running the plays as they are called. Don't like the offense then criticize the coordinator. Unfortunately you evidently live in a dream world where reality doesn't exist.

Ahhh yes. It's the coordinators fault the qb can't pass. Good one.

Eloquently put!

Terry Pegula is a billionaire who has been successful not only in his energy businesses but also the variety of fields of endeavor that he is entering. Let's face the obvious--- he is a horrible public speaker. And let's also face the obvious that he seems incapable of adroitly responding to questions that he should know are coming.

When you get into a field of endeavor such as politics and sports in any fashion and you struggle dealing with criticism then you are in the wrong field of endeavor. It's in the fabric of the environment in which you chose to work in and you can't escape it. If anyone in the sport ranging from players, to front office to the ownership can't handle the predictable questions from the irascible Jerry Sulivan then that it their problem, not the reporter's.

I like the owner and I'm glad he owns our hometown pro teams. But he needs to work on his communication and interacting skills. They are not good.

FWIW, the Bills and much of the media have a very adversarial relationship. That's pretty obvious, but there are some hard feelings on a personal level with both sides. There is a legitimate dislike with certain people. That absolutely plays a role in the coverage.

WITHOUT QUESTION.

Here is the reality though.........the team benefits more from media exposure than the media does.

It is free f*cking advertising in a world where you otherwise have to work and pay for it.

One of the main reasons that there is so little movement among media in Buffalo is that print, local tv and radio are all fading and less relevant ways of obtain news and entertainment............so management of many of the Buffalo media are really playing out the string and seeing what tomorrow brings.

It is VERY MUCH in the best interest of the NFL to keep these forms of information alive and well and the Bills and Sabres are among the only reasons that people read TBN or watch/listen to local news.

The NFL is KING in these types of media.

On the internet.........it trails far behind kitten videos, Rhett and Linc etc..

So.......by all means.......block out the soon-to-be-retired Vic Carucci or Jerry Sullivan to spite your face, Bills.

Hasten the departure of the mediums that TELL PEOPLE YOU ARE RELEVANT by plastering stories about you on the front of their daily news feed. :lol:

IMO it's not a coincidence that despite a strong economy the NFL is finding it harder and harder to leverage threats of moving into new stadium deals.

Print, radio and local tv used to be free advertising for the NFL.........now they are being tossed into the same boat as other products and people are saying "what's so special about you" because they aren't being forcefed the importance of the NFL by local media outlets.

He's not wrong.

Agree.

WITHOUT QUESTION.

Here is the reality though.........the team benefits more from media exposure than the media does.

It is free f*cking advertising in a world where you otherwise have to work and pay for it.

One of the main reasons that there is so little movement among media in Buffalo is that print, local tv and radio are all fading and less relevant ways of obtain news and entertainment............so management of many of the Buffalo media are really playing out the string and seeing what tomorrow brings.

It is VERY MUCH in the best interest of the NFL to keep these forms of information alive and well and the Bills and Sabres are among the only reasons that people read TBN or watch/listen to local news.

The NFL is KING in these types of media.

On the internet.........it trails far behind kitten videos, Rhett and Linc etc..

So.......by all means.......block out the soon-to-be-retired Vic Carucci or Jerry Sullivan to spite your face, Bills.

Hasten the departure of the mediums that TELL PEOPLE YOU ARE RELEVANT by plastering stories about you on the front of their daily news feed. :lol:

IMO it's not a coincidence that despite a strong economy the NFL is finding it harder and harder to leverage threats of moving into new stadium deals.

Print, radio and local tv used to be free advertising for the NFL.........now they are being tossed into the same boat as other products and people are saying "what's so special about you" because they aren't being forcefed the importance of the NFL by local media outlets.

Agreed and good post Badol

TT is a fine fellow. He is a high character guy and his work habits are exemplary. I just don't think it is smart to publicly lament one's plight with the media when overall this market has been relatively soft in its coverage of him. My advice to him is to put on the chest shield and take the

slings. It goes with the territory.

Being critical is one thing. Being negative is something else altogether. The News goes out of their way to live in the past or squat on any and everything surrounding the team. You even have reporters acting like columnists at times.

The News and many Bills fans wallow in the past; one that will never change. It is a waste of time and energy and creates more bad energy while changing nothing. Negative? See Bucky or Sully.

Tyrod has room to be criticized, but one would think he was a grease fire at QB and it's just not the case. He has a point. Sal and Wawrow are the go to for balanced criticism and solid news with no agenda. And lo and behold, they are one's the owners responded to in the mide of the storm last month.

Agree.

I thought all the local writers were members of the HOF & had played football all their lives. It's a little bit amusing to read all the comments about the Bills/writers & what is wrong w/ the Bills. I think we sometimes forget that the NFL is a business that 32 very rich folks have made an investment w/ the idea that their investment will continue to appreciate. TP, while liking the Bills/buffalo, expects to make big $$$ on being part of the NFL. I appreciate him buying them & hope he & the Bills people bring us a winning team.

Being critical is one thing. Being negative is something else altogether. The News goes out of their way to live in the past or squat on any and everything surrounding the team. You even have reporters acting like columnists at times.

The News and many Bills fans wallow in the past; one that will never change. It is a waste of time and energy and creates more bad energy while changing nothing. Negative? See Bucky or Sully.

Tyrod has room to be criticized, but one would think he was a grease fire at QB and it's just not the case. He has a point. Sal and Wawrow are the go to for balanced criticism and solid news with no agenda. And lo and behold, they are one's the owners responded to in the mide of the storm last month.

Tyler Dunne was very good as well. Which is why he got out of the Buffalo News as quickly as possible.

I skipped ahead. I heard the TT interview with Stephen A on the way back from Nashville today. He was 100% correct. He said the local media was a bunch of negative jerks* (not his word) and when asked what they got wrong, he said bitching about the offense. He then tried to cover by saying defense too, but it seemed clear to me. TT is correct. He wished they would do some film review (but of course they'd have no idea what they were looking at). Screw the Buffalo media. THEY are the idiots. They should all be fired, but of course, it will drag on until the dinosaurs disappear. IGNORE, people. You folks are more informed and unbiased than Buffalo media, for the most part.

Edited by Augie

The Bills are entering into a second generation of repulsive play. They haven't had a legitimate franchise qb in twenty years. They have been out of the playoffs for more than generation in a system designed for parity. If you want the writers to be more uplifting and less reflexively negative then run a more competent operation that can produce a respectable product on the field.

Do you think that WGR or TBN find it appealing reporting on a product that at times can be excruciating painful to watch and cover? What's the positive story line? A team seriously competing for a playoff? Or a team actually in a playoff? Every year it is the same pathetic scenario. You don't think that year in and year out same dispiriting story gets tiresome for the people who cover the team?

This focus on the media is a distraction from the real story which is the garbage product on the field. If you want to direct your anger and frustration direct it at the right target. This blame the media for one's own angst is so off the mark and Trumpian!

Edited by JohnC