TT vs Buffalo media

YoloinOhio

The Buffalo media can be negative jerks, but TT wasn't good enough this season. It's as simple as that. I'd love to see him deal with the NY or Philly media. TT would feel at home with many of the posters on this board who think the Buffalo media is "too negative" and "too mean". That's what they get paid to do. It's not any better in many other cities. Add to it the fact that we have the longest playoff drought in the league, and you have a recipe for negativity.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buffalo media can be negative jerks, but TT wasn't good enough this season. It's as simple as that. I'd love to see him deal with the NY or Philly media. TT would feel at home with many of the posters on this board who think the Buffalo media is "too negative" and "too mean". That's what they get paid to do. It's not any better in many other cities. Add to it the fact that we have the longest playoff drought in the league, and you have a recipe for negativity.

It's not just about being "too negative" or "too mean". The problem is they are too ignorant or too slanted. TT was 100% correct in everything I heard today on Sirius. The Buffalo News is more disappointing than the Bills recent results. I never click on a link anymore. They suck often enough that I ignore 100% of it.

The Buffalo News is not like the varsity playing the JV, it's like a middle school cluster ****.

It's not just about being "too negative" or "too mean". The problem is they are too ignorant or too slanted. TT was 100% correct in everything I heard today on Sirius. The Buffalo News is more disappointing than the Bills recent results. I never click on a link anymore. They suck often enough that I ignore 100% of it.

The Buffalo News is not like the varsity playing the JV, it's like a middle school cluster ****.

The media is "ignorant and slanted" but this is not unique to Buffalo. This problem plagues our entire nation. I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to voice his opinion. Whether or not I agree with him, I still believe he should have the right to express himself. My issue is that so many people think that the Buffalo media is uniquely incompetent. Show me where the competent American media is, and I'll listen. As far as the media "bashing" TT, I still maintain that it would be far worse in places like Philly and NY.

There's a handful of individuals here who would be upset if the Bills said that water is wet

I'm not remotely upset by what TT said. I'm more fascinated by the fact that a lot of posters are unaware of the fact that American media and not just the Buffalo News use sensationalism these days. The BN doesn't use any tactics that aren't common place imo. Mike Francesca and Stephen A Smith have a nationwide audience. That tells me all I need to know about the quality of sports media these days.

What is really comes down to, that save for a few decent articles every couple of years, the reporters are absolutely useless. They rarely offer exclusive insight, rarely ask intelligent questions, they shed little or no light on the games or the organization that we can't gather ourselves from paying attention.

Anyone of us on this site can do what they do. There is very little reason to read them, except for the fact it's about our team and we read everything, regardless of it's value.

What is really comes down to, that save for a few decent articles every couple of years, the reporters are absolutely useless. They rarely offer exclusive insight, rarely ask intelligent questions, they shed little or no light on the games or the organization that we can't gather ourselves from paying attention.

Anyone of us on this site can do what they do. There is very little reason to read them, except for the fact it's about our team and we read everything, regardless of it's value.

I understand. It's just my opinion that it's not much different in the media elsewhere in this country. People act like it's a BN problem when in reality the national media is just as pathetic. Any clown off the street could throw out softball interview questions like Larry King too. The media has declined in quality overall. Just because people don't personally like Sully for instance doesn't mean there aren't plenty of media elsewhere who aren't any better.

I happen to really enjoy Mike Schopp. He's real, he's honest and his football IQ is high.....not in an x's and o's type of way but more of the math, analytical way. Ive learned a lot by listening to that show over the last few years. Can he be a little short/rude with callers? Yes, but honestly it doesnt bother me.....most the time they do get pretty boring/generic/dumb comments from the callers.

Perhaps dave mcbride can take this softball for me I am bored of taking these fat pitches upper tank. B-)

I do agree with Kirby about their lack of knowledge of the game relative to some other places (emphasis on some). I think one of the issues -- which is neither good or bad, it just is -- is the deep hockey culture in Buffalo/southern Ontario, and the treatment of the hockey as a major league sport. The only other place it is treated that way is Detroit, in my opinion, but with regard to the Lions, you have writers who have to know the Tigers, the Pistons, Michigan football, and Michigan State football. All are pretty storied, relatively speaking. A lot of the Buffalo guys are doing double duty with football and hockey, and despite the fact that the Bills are significantly bigger than the Sabres, one gets the sense from reading Buffalo media that the Sabres might actually be the main event for them. They don't have a sense of proportion - no baseball or basketball (both far, far bigger than the nhl) - and the college sports scene is historically nonexistent. I mean, you have to go back to Bob Lanier to find any level of success in that area. As a consequence, it seems to me that you've got guys with a) a misplaced sense of what's generally regarded as a main event, b) a focus on other competitive news outlets that are actually Canadian, and c) a very weak knowledge base of the feeder systems of bigtime sports (college hoops and college football). I can't speak to their coverage of the Bisons (triple A for a good team), but it would surprise me if it's any good. The fact that the Bisons bounce around from org to org doesn't help, I realize. Sullivan is a bit unique because it is abundantly clear that his favorite sport by far is college hoops (he's a Providence/Providence College guy -- which just so happens to have bgen my dad's hometown and undergrad alma mater) but no one cares about that in Buffalo. Just thinking out loud here -- i realize this is very speculative and quite possibly wrong.

I do agree with Kirby about their lack of knowledge of the game relative to some other places (emphasis on some). I think one of the issues -- which is neither good or bad, it just is -- is the deep hockey culture in Buffalo/southern Ontario, and the treatment of the hockey as a major league sport. The only other place it is treated that way is Detroit, in my opinion, but with regard to the Lions, you have writers who have to know the Tigers, the Pistons, Michigan football, and Michigan State football. All are pretty storied, relatively speaking. A lot of the Buffalo guys are doing double duty with football and hockey, and despite the fact that the Bills are significantly bigger than the Sabres, one gets the sense from reading Buffalo media that the Sabres might actually be the main event for them. They don't have a sense of proportion - no baseball or basketball (both far, far bigger than the nhl) - and the college sports scene is historically nonexistent. I mean, you have to go back to Bob Lanier to find any level of success in that area. As a consequence, it seems to me that you've got guys with a) a misplaced sense of what's generally regarded as a main event, b) a focus on other competitive news outlets that are actually Canadian, and c) a very weak knowledge base of the feeder systems of bigtime sports (college hoops and college football). I can't speak to their coverage of the Bisons (triple A for a good team), but it would surprise me if it's any good. The fact that the Bisons bounce around from org to org doesn't help, I realize. Sullivan is a bit unique because it is abundantly clear that his favorite sport by far is college hoops (he's a Providence/Providence College guy -- which just so happens to have bgen my dad's hometown and undergrad alma mater) but no one cares about that in Buffalo. Just thinking out loud here -- i realize this is very speculative and quite possibly wrong.

I don't really care much about the perceived focus on other sports......if the Yankees were on the cover of TBN every day that would not benefit the local teams.

Local media is free advertising.......you can take it or you can leave it........and the Bills leave it and they are fast losing the hearts and minds of upstate NY all while they try to rebuild downtown Buffalo with billions in brick and mortar. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what's more ill advised......investing in newspapers or literally trying to build something and just HOPE people come. :lol:

My theory is that losing makes the fanbase dumber. Not all, but in general. When the Bills were good their fans were more knowledgeable relative to other fan bases.

With the Bills never in serious playoff contention......what the rest of the football world is doing matters less and that subsequently creates some out of focus, cracked views.

The problems become very focused on the organization.......unfortunately this has been earned........and for better or worse the criticisms and perceived solutions are probably seen as simpler than they are.

Fire Rex. Release Tyrod. And then what? Mostly nonsense and ill advised, ill informed solutions are presented.

They are negative because the teams been a !@#$ing train wreck for years.

Crticism should be expected. Man Pegula comes across as clueless at times and it rubs off on the players.

The entire organization comes across as a bunch of pussys.

"Waaaa the media is mean".

So win some games and shut them the !@#$ up.

It's not the criticism by certain members of the local media that engendered their freeze out by the front office brass, it's much more personal than that.

It's not the criticism by certain members of the local media that engendered their freeze out by the front office brass, it's much more personal than that.

And that's on the billionaires for taking it personally.

I look at it like this........if you run a business that is based around resources only available locally..........you better support your local economy even if they sometimes resent or are jealous of you........because if not the day will come when it takes a chunk out of you.

Perhaps this aspect is lost on people who have made their money elsewhere..........but the Bills need local support............so shutting out and weakening their best and FREE advertising outlets is cutting off their nose to spite their face.

But it pleases out of town douchebags :lol: so there is always that handful of loudmouths that think that severing that troublesome nose is a moral victory.

Meanwhile the Bills just become increasingly less relevant to those in Bills Country.

The good news is that Astro will continue to have his pick of quality seats at training camp. :lol:

Ahhh yes. It's the coordinators fault the qb can't pass. Good one.

I know you don't want statistics to influence your desire for a new QB, but other than the fact TT had about 200 less ATTEMPTS than the majority of the league his completion % of 61.7, and yard/att. of 6.9 yards put him about the middle of the pack and his TD to Int ratio of 17 TD's to 6 int's. put him in the top 5 in that category. Only Matt Ryan and Aaron Rogers from the top 25 had a better percentage of TD to int. ratio. If you project TT to a number of attempts more comparable to the league avg. He would have 4,400 yards and would be 12th ahead of Winston. I will admit TT has scrambled on some pass plays called but all QB's do or take sacks. TT also finished 28th in rushing with 6 TD's which puts him #1 among QB's in that area. You are beating the wrong horse. This team would have been in the playoffs if the Defense had done their jobs. Ignore the media because they don't like statistics either, It's much more entertaining to arbitrarily nail some one to the wall. The readers around here eat it up. So like I said, yards per game is more the result of more running plays called than pass plays, so that is on the OC, who by the way I think did a very good job when you consider the Offense was ranked 7th in the league. Now if the D was better they may have been top 5 with more plays run. Take it for what it's worth but there are a lot worse QB's than TT and the crop this year is a real crap shoot. You may hit it lucky bit the odds are against it.

And that's on the billionaires for taking it personally....

You misunderstand. They don't take the published criticism of their teams personally. They take the personal affronts in non public settings personally. When a person convinces you he is an a**hole on a personal level, one tends not to indulge them on a professional level.

Edited by K-9

They are negative because the teams been a !@#$ing train wreck for years.

Crticism should be expected. Man Pegula comes across as clueless at times and it rubs off on the players.

The entire organization comes across as a bunch of pussys.

"Waaaa the media is mean".

So win some games and shut them the !@#$ up.

This is mostly how I feel. I'm consistently amazed by the amount of fans who can't handle hearing anything negative about this franchise. I'm not attempting to force anyone to like the Buffalo media. People are entitled to their own opinions. I just have a problem with the franchise,fans,and players who can't handle any criticism. People who think there is too much negativity from the media must live in a bubble where a world beyond Buffalo sports doesn't exist. I have news for those people. The national media has an even lesser opinion of this franchise than the local media. When's the last time anyone heard something positive from a major media outlet regarding this franchise? Mike Francesa who couldn't care less about Buffalo went on an epic rant about the franchise this past fall. He even went as far as calling the Pegula's something along the line of "new money Beverly Hillbillies". Imagine if someone in the local media said something like that. This franchise wouldn't survive a day with the scrutiny of the media in larger markets. They actually don't know how good they have it. In any other market the fans would have stopped showing up about ten years ago as well.