TT vs Buffalo media

YoloinOhio

This is mostly how I feel. I'm consistently amazed by the amount of fans who can't handle hearing anything negative about this franchise. I'm not attempting to force anyone to like the Buffalo media. People are entitled to their own opinions. I just have a problem with the franchise,fans,and players who can't handle any criticism. People who think there is too much negativity from the media must live in a bubble where a world beyond Buffalo sports doesn't exist. I have news for those people. The national media has an even lesser opinion of this franchise than the local media. When's the last time anyone heard something positive from a major media outlet regarding this franchise? Mike Francesa who couldn't care less about Buffalo went on an epic rant about the franchise this past fall. He even went as far as calling the Pegula's something along the line of "new money Beverly Hillbillies". Imagine if someone in the local media said something like that. This franchise wouldn't survive a day with the scrutiny of the media in larger markets. They actually don't know how good they have it. In any other market the fans would have stopped showing up about ten years ago as well.

I have lived in 3 markets with an NFL franchise. The coverage in Buffalo is less educated and more negative than in the other 2. That's all that I can speak from.

Criticism isn't unwarranted. The team should be criticized for the defense, coaching and passing game. They shouldn't be criticized because Trent Edwards sucked 10 years ago. That's the difference. "Because Bills" isn't a good journalistic approach. It is even worse in that the people criticizing have less understanding of the league and game than their counterparts elsewhere.

If you add in the personal hard feelings between the Bills organization and members of the media this is what you get. It isn't like that everywhere. This isn't just about a franchise that loses. There are members of the media in Buffalo that legitimately want to see certain members of the Bills fail. You can choose to take my word or K-9's but it's true. When you have those ill feelings your opinions aren't without bias.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in 3 markets with an NFL franchise. The coverage in Buffalo is less educated and more negative than in the other 2. That's all that I can speak from.

Criticism isn't unwarranted. The team should be criticized for the defense, coaching and passing game. They shouldn't be criticized because Trent Edwards sucked 10 years ago. That's the difference. "Because Bills" isn't a good journalistic approach. It is even worse in that the people criticizing have less understanding of the league and game than their counterparts elsewhere.

If you add in the personal hard feelings between the Bills organization and members of the media this is what you get. It isn't like that everywhere. This isn't just about a franchise that loses. There are members of the media in Buffalo that legitimately want to see certain members of the Bills fail. You can choose to take my word or K-9's but it's true. When you have those ill feelings your opinions aren't without bias.

I can see your points. Honestly, I don't actively read BN articles enough to analyze their football knowledge. They probably are less knowledgeable than many other cities. However, I can't agree with anyone on the negativity aspect. As someone who grew up reading NYC sports articles I fail to see where the Buffalo media is more negative. This 17 year playoff drought is unprecedented. The failures of the past 17 years are going to be brought up. With this type of consistent futility I don't believe that the media anywhere in other northeastern cities would be less negative. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I think this nails it pretty much. I would only add that I can appreciate and even respect a person's editorial stance on issues but I demand that those opinions remain consistent. For instance, Bucky Gleason spent a fair amount of column space and time suggesting the Sabres needed to tank a season or two in order to acquire the kind of high end prospects required to be consistent contenders, only to rip the organization for doing exactly that.

The personal issues involved transcend whatever is put forth in the media though. Certain media members will never have certain access as a result. And it rankles the phuck out of them. Too bad they don't possess the required professionalism to not let it impact their work. Talk about taking things personally. One has to question their dedication to certain journalistic tenets.

You misunderstand. They don't take the published criticism of their teams personally. They take the personal affronts in non public settings personally. When a person convinces you he is an a**hole on a personal level, one tends not to indulge them on a professional level.

How do I "misunderstand"? You just re-iterated my point......don't take business personally. :lol:

Dealing with !@#$s to get the results that you want is AN IMPORTANT part of being a successful professional.

And yes, the Pegula's have been wildly successful with fracking shale........but unfortunately they have NOT been successful AT ALL as NFL owners and perhaps worse as NHL owners.

The popularity of the NFL is 99% about "buzz" and 1% about big men bumping into each other..........not understanding the importance of having it is the height of arrogance.

Things like not publicly addressing the firing of your head coach for a week because you don't like Vic Carucci or whatever individual agent of the media you have to deal with is the equivalent of saying "this team is not important, do not follow".

I can see your points. Honestly, I don't actively read BN articles enough to analyze their football knowledge. They probably are less knowledgeable than many other cities. However, I can't agree with anyone on the negativity aspect. As someone who grew up reading NYC sports articles I fail to see where the Buffalo media is more negative. This 17 year playoff drought is unprecedented. The failures of the past 17 years are going to be brought up. With this type of consistent futility I don't believe that the media anywhere in other northeastern cities would be less negative.

I think that's fair. Maybe "less negative" is different than more accurate criticism. If the focus of the criticism was on Rex's in game decisions or the regression of the defense no one would say a word. That would be good criticism.

I think that's fair. Maybe "less negative" is different than more accurate criticism. If the focus of the criticism was on Rex's in game decisions or the regression of the defense no one would say a word. That would be good criticism.

I think Drive's point is very simple.........the losing perpetuated by the franchise has created a toxic situation that would be no better in any other market.

It's on the organization to grin and bear it until they prove they can accomplish something.........which isn't asking much in a parity driven league........you should make the playoffs on average every 3rd year or so.

Terry Pegula coming out and saying" it's only been 2 years"(3 now) doesn't really set the kind of accountability tone you look for in the product.

They don't have to go all "Domino's Pizza.......we've sucked but please buy us now" marketing but how hard is it to be the bigger man from a yacht in Boca Raton. :doh:

I like the Pegula's but they have not dealt with adversity well........it's unbecoming and concerning because we just went thru 50+ years with a stubborn, mercurial owner who seemed intent on not learning from his mistakes.

How do I "misunderstand"? You just re-iterated my point......don't take business personally. :lol:

Dealing with !@#$s to get the results that you want is AN IMPORTANT part of being a successful professional.

And yes, the Pegula's have been wildly successful with fracking shale........but unfortunately they have NOT been successful AT ALL as NFL owners and perhaps worse as NHL owners.

The popularity of the NFL is 99% about "buzz" and 1% about big men bumping into each other..........not understanding the importance of having it is the height of arrogance.

Things like not publicly addressing the firing of your head coach for a week because you don't like Vic Carucci or whatever individual agent of the media you have to deal with is the equivalent of saying "this team is not important, do not follow".

Again, you misunderstand. You are confusing interaction in business settings with interaction in personal settings. Certain media members have conducted themselves like a**holes enough times in the latter to forfeit certain accessibility in the former.

As to the last paragraph, they didn't wait a week to address the firing of Ryan, they just did it in a way that was clumsy. And it had nothing to do with their disdain for anyone in the media, either. It had more to do with the fact that it was a game week made more complicated from a preparation standpoint already impacted by the sudden firing and they thought it best to wait until the end of the year presser. Like I said, clumsy, but I can understand their reasoning.

He's not wrong.

The Buffalo Media is a weird group in general (especially when it comes to football). They really aren't "football" people like in other cities. There isn't a large college football presence in Buffalo so they aren't particularly educated on prospects or their transitions to the pro game. They don't really pay a ton of attention to the rest of the league either (at least comparatively). The talk show hosts don't really understand the game. Sal is probably the exception here. This is a little bit of rambling but I guess that what I am getting at is that they don't have the depth of knowledge and understanding that people in other cities, in their positions have.

You are absolutely right. I've said it before. I've worked in commercial radio in a major market. I've seen that work done well. (I was just a young punk when I was in the biz, I don't pretend to have done it well myself.) Really, nobody in WNY is doing it well. That's why so many of our media personalities are here for ever and ever and ever. Buffalo/WNY is a tiny media market. Talented young broadcasters and writers will quickly get promoted up and out to a bigger market. Middling talent who can't sharpen their abilities and move on get stuck. And so that's how you end up with Schopp, Maiorana, Sullivan, Roth, et al. I don't wish harm or unemployment on anybody, but sweet Jebus, our WNY sports media outlets need a serious airing-out. Open the windows, get some Lysol!

Again, you misunderstand. You are confusing interaction in business settings with interaction in personal settings. Certain media members have conducted themselves like a**holes enough times in the latter to forfeit certain accessibility in the former.

As to the last paragraph, they didn't wait a week to address the firing of Ryan, they just did it in a way that was clumsy. And it had nothing to do with their disdain for anyone in the media, either. It had more to do with the fact that it was a game week made more complicated from a preparation standpoint already impacted by the sudden firing and they thought it best to wait until the end of the year presser. Like I said, clumsy, but I can understand their reasoning.

No I completely understand K-9. I just don't care WHY the owner personally dislikes the media. Thin skin is a weakness.

As for the "clumsy" handling of the Rex firing............don't give me the "it was a game week" nonsense.........it was a meaningless game and Whaley and the Pegula's weren't doing any of the game planning to my knowledge so that is nothing more than a BS excuse :doh: ..........as I said.......the NFL is 99% about buzz and in their embarrassment/discomfort of dealing with it they missed yet another opportunity to capitalize and make it look like a positive move forward and instead made the situation utterly toxic.

No I completely understand K-9. I just don't care WHY the owner personally dislikes the media. Thin skin is a weakness.

Thin skin may be a weakness, but so is giving access to unfriendly media. Why let anyone on the inside if they constantly seek to sh#t all over you? It's not like they're barring TBN from the media room. They just don't give them exclusives. It's why a pro like Wawrow gets the exclusive interview with Terry, not any of those negative nancies at TBN.

As for the "clumsy" handling of the Rex firing............don't give me the "it was a game week" nonsense.........it was a meaningless game and Whaley and the Pegula's weren't doing any of the game planning to my knowledge so that is nothing more than a BS excuse :doh: ..........as I said.......the NFL is 99% about buzz and in their embarrassment/discomfort of dealing with it they missed yet another opportunity to capitalize and make it look like a positive move forward and instead made the situation utterly toxic.

I don't offer excuses. Only reasoning for why I understand certain dynamics. I understand you disagree.

Thin skin is a two way street. Although I don't think it's as simple as simply saying people need thicker skins in this case.

Thin skin may be a weakness, but so is giving access to unfriendly media. Why let anyone on the inside if they constantly seek to sh#t all over you? It's not like they're barring TBN from the media room. They just don't give them exclusives. It's why a pro like Wawrow gets the exclusive interview with Terry, not any of those negative nancies at TBN.

Which brings me back to "to whom much is given".

There is great responsibility that comes with wealth and owning a region's pro sports franchises.

And being above getting rankled by some average Joe's to the point that it compromises the best interests of the organization is not a lot to ask.

It's a bad example to set when you have a bunch of potentially volatile/troublesome instant millionaires looking up to ownership for stewardship.

I don't offer excuses. Only reasoning for why I understand certain dynamics. I understand you disagree.

Thin skin is a two way street. Although I don't think it's as simple as simply saying people need thicker skins in this case.

As much as I have harshly criticized Rex Ryan the one thing I respect him for is that he always stood tall at the podium whether it was after a good win or a disastrous. He was somewhat bombastic after a win but that was Rex. However, after a typical loss marred by undisciplined play on the field and from the sidelines he answered all the question from all the reporters. Stupid questions and good questions were both handled with dignity and class. He didn't shrink and become surly and impatient when the hot lights were on him after a loss that involved a lot of bad play. Obviously he didn't enjoy explaining what happened on the field after a humiliating loss. But he handled it in a professional manner.

This organization acts as if it is above communicating with the press. It definitely prefers dealing with fawning toads over the more aggressive critics. If some members of the press are vindictive priiiicks, so what? You don't think that some players and staff people aren't also insufferable priiicks? Trying to get a comment out of Mario Williams or Dareus after a game certainly is not a joyful experience. How about dealing with arsehole Marrone? A loser who acts like he is a winner.

Using the excuse that a member/s of the media is a revolting human being and is unprofessional is not a valid excuse to respond in kind. Watch Jerry Jones answer questions after a loss. He doesn't dismiss anyone even when the questions being tossed at him are meant to draw a reaction more than elicit an answer . Terry P could learn a valuable lesson on how to deal with the press by watching Jones perform like a virtuoso when dealing with the press.

Dealing with the press is an inescapable part of the sports business that the owner chose to enter. There is level of arrogance and condescension coming from the ownership and organization that is not earned. This franchise is a historically losing and incompetent franchise. It hasn't earned the right to act dismissively toward a segment of the business (media) that by its nature is promoting your business. (Badol's incisive point)

The ultimate payback for an organization that feels that it is under siege and is unfairly portrayed is to win. Evidently, it prefers being involved with distracting skirmishes than going about the business of winning.

This is mostly how I feel. I'm consistently amazed by the amount of fans who can't handle hearing anything negative about this franchise. I'm not attempting to force anyone to like the Buffalo media. People are entitled to their own opinions. I just have a problem with the franchise,fans,and players who can't handle any criticism. People who think there is too much negativity from the media must live in a bubble where a world beyond Buffalo sports doesn't exist. I have news for those people. The national media has an even lesser opinion of this franchise than the local media. When's the last time anyone heard something positive from a major media outlet regarding this franchise? Mike Francesa who couldn't care less about Buffalo went on an epic rant about the franchise this past fall. He even went as far as calling the Pegula's something along the line of "new money Beverly Hillbillies". Imagine if someone in the local media said something like that. This franchise wouldn't survive a day with the scrutiny of the media in larger markets. They actually don't know how good they have it. In any other market the fans would have stopped showing up about ten years ago as well.

I agree with most of this excellent post. I think part of the local media's pessimism is the same as mine. They are tired of getting sold positive stories about the Bills and then having anything hopeful turn to crap every year. How would you like to cover the Bills every year? Personally I could only take it so long and move to another market. It must be as frustrating as being a fan to see every December and must-win game fall to pieces!

Excellent post. Your sentiments are my sentiments.

As much as I have harshly criticized Rex Ryan the one thing I respect him for is that he always stood tall at the podium whether it was after a good win or a disastrous. He was somewhat bombastic after a win but that was Rex. However, after a typical loss marred by undisciplined play on the field and from the sidelines he answered all the question from all the reporters. Stupid questions and good questions were both handled with dignity and class. He didn't shrink and become surly and impatient when the hot lights were on him after a loss that involved a lot of bad play. Obviously he didn't enjoy explaining what happened on the field after a humiliating loss. But he handled it in a professional manner.

This organization acts as if it is above communicating with the press. It definitely prefers dealing with fawning toads over the more aggressive critics. If some members of the press are vindictive priiiicks, so what? You don't think that some players and staff people aren't also insufferable priiicks? Trying to get a comment out of Mario Williams or Dareus after a game certainly is not a joyful experience. How about dealing with arsehole Marrone? A loser who acts like he is a winner.

Using the excuse that a member/s of the media is a revolting human being and is unprofessional is not a valid excuse to respond in kind. Watch Jerry Jones answer questions after a loss. He doesn't dismiss anyone even when the questions being tossed at him are meant to draw a reaction more than elicit an answer . Terry P could learn a valuable lesson on how to deal with the press by watching Jones perform like a virtuoso when dealing with the press.

Dealing with the press is an inescapable part of the sports business that the owner chose to enter. There is level of arrogance and condescension coming from the ownership and organization that is not earned. This franchise is a historically losing and incompetent franchise. It hasn't earned the right to act dismissively toward a segment of the business (media) that by its nature is promoting your business. (Badol's incisive point)

The ultimate payback for an organization that feels that it is under siege and is unfairly portrayed is to win. Evidently, it prefers being involved with distracting skirmishes than going about the business of winning.

You are right about winning. It cures most ills. But it won't cure a couple very specific ills in this case. Human nature is human nature.

Hmmm

@mikerodak

Tyrod Taylor said on @ESPNRadio today he feels the Buffalo media is a very negative group and was unfair to him this past season.

Tyrod Taylor told @ESPNRadio, in essence, that the Bills offense was being blamed at the wrong times and media did not watch the film."

His owner said the same thing (they are scoring too fast!). Go beatch at him

You are right about winning. It cures most ills. But it won't cure a couple very specific ills in this case. Human nature is human nature.

Humans have the ability to make choices that go against their nature........and successful ones do it all the time.

JohnC was talking about Jerry Jones........that guy has taken more sh*t for his plastic surgery and getting caught with whores and all manner of nonsense and he diffuses it every time simply by addressing the media.

The reality is people say mean things to public figures and they CHOOSE whether to be effectively bent about it or not.

Pegs made his billions in a controversial manner and married an adopted asian woman who was nearly half his age at the time.......human nature? yeah, someone is inevitably going to get drunk and say something offensive at some point.......gotta' be above a few off-handed slings........when you are entrusted with a region's identity......OWN that responsibility.

It's really not much to ask.

Ralph wasn't above it either and his thin skin cost him dearly on the field........running off Chuck Knox and Bill Polian and over time making him the most toxic employer in the NFL.

If the Pegula's fan the flames of an us against the media vendetta it could trickle down and make things increasingly difficult for everyone who works for them and undermine the on-field product.

Here's a recent example of negativity for its own sake. When Sean McDermott was hired, Jerry Sullivan tweeted the last time the Bills hired a defensive coach from a recent Super Bowl team was Gregg Williams.

Now what is the point of that thread, other than to suggest that a coincidence from 13 years ago means McDermott will fail like Greggo?

There is nothing informed or constructive in that tweet. It's just Jerry Sullivan's patented hangdog woe-is-us routine that he knows goes over great with his endlessly depressed fan base.

This is what we hate.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

My takeaway: badol is right about the need to grow thick skin and deal with local media whether one likes them or not, and kirby us right about the low quality of analytical skills and knowledge among local media members. I mean, reading that espn barnwell piece i posted today and aaron schatz's piece breaking down the SB today in football outsiders shows how weak they are (i realize these guys aren't local, but still). A guy with a clue like tyler dunne doesn't last long here. http://www.football-outsiders.com/game-previews/2017/super-bowl-li-preview

Edited by dave mcbride